• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC around Akron/Canton area

jasonstorm

Chilly morning and early afternoon, but beautiful with clear blue skies and bright sun. Went to the strip and got bagels and coffee. Sat there by the south window in the hot sun reading for about an hour. It felt amazing after the harsh, cold winter we've had. Walked over to BAM and looked at all of the new release books and COOL!, William Forstchen has a new book out! Browsed magazines and talked briefly with a gentleman about the pros and cons of Windows 8. Drove up to Gander Mountain to look for 9mm ammo, but the selection was almost non-existent. Went to Kames and bought a couple of 50 packs of 115 grain FMJ for target practice--$14.99 a box. And then I went shooting. I didn't get a single reaction out of anyone. Just as it should be.

ShootinRugers

Chilly morning and early afternoon, but beautiful with clear blue skies and bright sun. Went to the strip and got bagels and coffee. Sat there by the south window in the hot sun reading for about an hour. It felt amazing after the harsh, cold winter we've had. Walked over to BAM and looked at all of the new release books and COOL!, William Forstchen has a new book out! Browsed magazines and talked briefly with a gentleman about the pros and cons of Windows 8. Drove up to Gander Mountain to look for 9mm ammo, but the selection was almost non-existent. Went to Kames and bought a couple of 50 packs of 115 grain FMJ for target practice--$14.99 a box. And then I went shooting. I didn't get a single reaction out of anyone. Just as it should be.

The Strip in Canton is posted. Granted it is only a civil tresspass if Stark Enterprises wants to pursue it. I've only been to the Strip twice since I noticed the signs in 2012.

That was only because I couldn't get out of taking some out of guests to 5 Guys.

Last edited:

jasonstorm

The Strip in Canton is posted. Granted it is only a civil tresspass if Stark Enterprises wants to pursue it. I've only been to the Strip twice since I noticed the signs in 2012.

That was only because I couldn't get out of taking some out of guests to 5 Guys.

Well, that's good to know. Where is the signage located? I drove around the Einstein Bagels/Starbucks building and saw a sign on the back. Lots of rules but nothing about firearms. And of course none of the establishments I went into on The Strip had any signs posted, either.

Werz

Well, that's good to know. Where is the signage located?
It's been years since I've been over to that area, but the Stark Enterprises parking lots in the Fairlawn/Montrose area are all posted right at the entrance of the parking lots. They're not large signs, but the "gunbuster" symbol is quite evident. Most people are not looking for warning signs when they pull off the street into a parking lot, so many folks never notice them.

ShootinRugers

Werz is right, the parking lots are posted. Even Walmart's parking lot is posted. Stark Enterprises also owns the property where Gander Mtn is but it isn't posted.

I've sent letters to the businesses (including Gander Mtn) I used to do business with copies to Stark that I won't shop there. Never heard back from Stark. Even sent additional letters when I bought a new TV and dryer from someone else instead of BestBuy also sent a copy of the receipts.

jasonstorm

Went to the Einstein Bagel in downtown Akron last Monday, but that whole building had signs posted, so went to W. Akron Einstein instead. Everyone was friendly. Had one older gentleman seated nearby ask if I was a cop. I said no. He didn't seem alarmed, but left shortly thereafter.

From there, went to Nervous Dog for some real caffeine--a medium Americano. I truly expected looks and/or comments, and was pleasantly surprised when I got neither. The barista, a young blonde female with piercings was completely friendly. I doctored my beverage with cream and sugar and then sat for a little bit in a comfy chair beside a couple of older guys who were chatting happily. I read the funnies. Seems Akron Beacon Journal is running old Doonesbury--back when Mike and Zonker were young and living at Walden Commune. I always loved the old Doonesbury strips. I laughed quietly for so long I had tears in my eyes.
It's nice to do that every so often.

Stopped at Arlington Plaza to get some painting supplies at Big Lots. Imagine my surprise--Big Lots is no longer there. Google maps quickly informed me that it has moved to Waterloo road. Not the nicest of areas, but better than Arlington Plaza. Still, I was glad I was OCing. I got a few surreptitious glances and a guy who I thinks was management seemed to be hanging around the registers, but the cashier was friendly and smiling.

Later I was at Home Depot, and even interacted with a nice, helpful female employee in the paint department. Again, my OC was a non-issue.

The wife and I went grocery shopping that evening--Marc's and Giant Eagle. This was the first time she'd been out with me while I OC'd. I could tell she started out very nervous--seemed very quiet and edgy. After about 5 minutes at Marc's, when there were no double takes, no wide-eyed stares, no comments or frightened looks or screams of abject horror, it became a non-issue for her as well. In fact, she seemed to be even freer and more playful than usual. I would like to think that it was due to her feeling safer than normal. That's my story and I'm sticking with it...

That was a crucial milestone moment. I will OC every moment that I can, and she'll be okay with it. I'm a lucky guy...

Yesterday I was in Medina and needed my caffeine fix. Stopped in Cool Beans on the square. 2 young female baristas, a dad with 2 young boys in front of me, and at least 8 other patrons spread out in the room. No reactions at all. Got a medium Americano. The barista went out of her way to get me some real brown sugar from the back. Makes it taste so much better.

I walked around the square some, enjoying my beverage. Checked out army surplus store. Walked down the street a little ways (still on the square) to a historical visitor's center. The architecture was amazing. I chatted for a few minutes with a very nice, friendly older lady at the center about the local history of the square. She showed me some turn-of-the-century photos of the square--some with model T style cars, one with horse and buggies. Very cool.

North on route 42 a couple of blocks, stopped in a gun shop. The old guy there was a little cantankerous, but friendly enough. Had some .22 ammo for sale. Limit 1 box per person for about $5. He let me get 2 boxes. I was pretty pleased--walked out of there with a big smile.

On the way home the talk on WNIR was about ALICE training in dealing with shooter in a hospital. I called and actually got through to Bob and Karen Golic. Had a nice chat about an individual's right and responsibility to defend him or herself, and talked a little about open carry.

Later that evening I stopped at Ace Hardware to get a couple of keys copied. Everyone was friendly.

rightwinglibertarian

Even Walmart's parking lot is posted......

I've sent letters to the businesses (including Gander Mtn) I used to do business with copies to Stark that I won't shop there. Never heard back from Stark. Even sent additional letters when I bought a new TV and dryer from someone else instead of BestBuy also sent a copy of the receipts.

i'd speak to the Walmart manager. That sign is a violation of corporate policy. If he refuses to listen the head office.

JustaShooter

Even Walmart's parking lot is posted. Stark Enterprises also owns the property where Gander Mtn is but it isn't posted.

i'd speak to the Walmart manager. That sign is a violation of corporate policy. If he refuses to listen the head office.
The property owner (Stark Enterprises) posts the entrances to the parking lot. It is not up to Walmart, and neither Walmart's manager nor their corporate office can legally do anything about it.

BriKuz

JaS, you may or may not be correct... a tenant has rights over land that they lease in Ohio... if that parking lot is leased for WalMart's exclusive use, then Wally-World makes the rules... unless you can cite RC that prevents a company from making the rules on their own (rented) property...

JustaShooter

From ORC 2923.126 (C) (3):

(a) Except as provided in division (C)(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises,... may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises.

jasonstorm

So, it's been a month now since I started open carrying. Except for work, I have open carried everywhere I have gone. Out of all the places I've been, I figured that if I did get any comments it would be at Gabriel Brother's in west Akron. Nothing. Nothing at all. I've got no controversial encounters to relate, no tales to tell. And I've got no complaints with that.

jasonstorm

Day off today. So it's OC day while running errands, etc. (can't OC while at work, and on those days, all I pretty much do is drive to work and then drive home much, much later).

Bagels at W. Akron Einstein Bagels again.

Large (four shots of espresso) americano at Nervous Dog. Two police cars were there when I pulled in, and I must admit that my pulse increased at that, but I refuse to be put off and prevented because of apprehension. Two LEO were in Nervous Dog at the counter. They must have noticed my OC, but absolutely no reaction. I sat behind them in one of the comfortable chairs at the front window, reading some decent self-published post apocalyptic fiction on my new Sony e-reader (my old one took a dump, but I think I got my money's worth--the page advance button was used so much that I'd worn a deep indentation in it). They didn't turn to face me, or at least keep me in direct view, and instead just continued their conversation. Later I sat outside on the patio and enjoyed the sun and upper 70's temps.

After shooting at my usual target practice location, I went to the Hartville flea market (today being Monday). No visible signs. I OCed, enjoying the weather and the strong waves of nostalgia that always wash over me there. Really, it's two-fold. Firstly, being in my upper 40's, I have the most powerful flashback moments to the early and mid '70's when I was a preteen and used to ride my bike to the flea market and spend hours browsing the amazing plethora of junk, back when the flea market was at it's old location at the corner of 619 and Mishler/Market. And secondly, nostalgia from all of the old stuff like LPs and 8-tracks and games and very old tools and posters and books and...well, the list goes on and on. Anyway, I digress. No wide-eyed stares or looks of fear. At one stall I was looking at silvery old cap guns and fondly remembering the toy 6-guns that I used to play with at my grandparent's house (belonged to my uncles when they were young). On the other side of the table, a young boy of perhaps 10 years was looking at them as well.

"Pretty cool, huh?" I asked with a wistful smile.
"Yeah," he replied. "Looks like the one on the 'Walking Dead'"
And while they really did not look like Rick's Python (?), I agreed with him and said that the Walking Dead was a very cool show.

Later, a vendor at an outdoor stall a vendor asked what I was carrying. I answered him, and he said that he hoped I had a CCW. I responded that open carry was completely legal in Ohio. He looked very surprised and said something along the lines that I needed a CCW to do that, right? Again, I stated that OC was completely legal in Ohio, and that he should look it up. We shook hands and as I walked away, two older guys who appeared to be Harley aficionados walked past. The one nudged the other and said "See, you could've carried." The other one gave me a thumbs up. I responded in kind.

Went to the Hartville Marcs and then across the street to the Giant Eagle for some wine, and got absolutely no reaction at all. Checking out the Cabernet, I noticed the Louis St. Martini--one of my favorite--was on sale. 2012 vintage. But a 2011 was mixed in. I reacted with an excited and loud "Oooh!" and then another when I discovered another (and the last) 2011 behind it. As I quickly snatched up the second bottle, I noticed another guy in the wine section grinning at my enthusiasm. He didn't seem too concerned that I was carrying. I met his grin with a giant one of my own.

Today was a good day!

Last edited:

ShootinRugers

I don't know/remember if I've ever OCd at the Hartville Mkt. I OC in Marc's except the one where my wife works. They are pretty good about it if a customer complains. They tell them that it is legal.

I was mowing my yard Saturday saw a Massillon PD car drive-by, turned around, came back pretty slow staring. I just nodded at him and he went about his way. I was kind of surprised since Massillon just changed the city ordinance to comply with state law last year.

All I can think of they received a man w/gun call and checked it out. Or he couldn't figure out if I was in the city or township. Debating if I will do a freedom of information letter to find out. But then I was just in the Home Depot and Jett's Pizza about 20 minutes prior. Who knows.

jasonstorm

Went to the Hartville flea market on Memorial Day with the wife and mother-in-law, and as usual I was OCing. Got there a little after 9am, and it was packed. We were there for nearly 3 hours and it was perfect weather--sunny and warm but not too hot. I went off at my own pace, and as usual it was nostalgic trip to the past with all the old stuff. I even saw some old metal kids lunch boxes from 70's. The Peanuts ones yanked me right back nearly 40 years to my grade school. I only heard one comment, and while it was about me, it wasn't directed at me.

An older lady speaking to her husband said "That makes me nervous. Why does he need to have that?"

I just kept on walking.

As we were starting to wind our way through the crowds to head back to the car, the MIL asked "Is that a real gun?"

"Of course. It would do much good if it weren't"

She didn't say anything more, but out of curiosity I asked, "What did you think it was?"

"A BB gun."

I had to laugh.

I was truly surprised. Yes, I've OCed at the flea market before, but never when it was this crowded. I fully anticipated a bigger reaction--someone making a stink about it. Not complaining.

jasonstorm

Moving to AZ

For many years now, the wife and I have dreamt of moving to the Southwest, to the desert, away from the cold and the rain and the snow of NE Ohio. This winter was the final straw. We went to Phoenix a few weeks ago on a scouting mission, and decided that we both really liked it. The weather was beautiful. The highways were wide and smooth and clean and the overpasses were nice-looking and not just drab, grey concrete. The people were very friendly and laid-back. I went to Bergies in Gilbert many mornings for my coffee and to read. On two separate occasions a (different) older couple approached me, all smiles, and made conversation. On a third occasion, a professional looking guy a few years younger than me asked me about the laws concerning OC. And then a fourth morning, a younger father asked what type of gun I was carrying, etc.

I do not have any type of concealed carry permit. I do not believe in them. I should not have to pay $ to get permission from the government (that should be following the constitution) to carry a firearm in any way that I choose. So in Ohio, I have to do the whole tedious rigmarole every time I get into a car of deholstering, unloading, storing the gun and magazine separately, and then do it all in reverse, every time I get out of the car. Ah, Arizona, I love you so...

I've got friends in the Valley of the Sun, guys who've moved there from Ohio, guys I've known for more than 20 years. We went shooting out in the desert. It was great to be able to pull off the highway onto a dirt road, drive for a couple of minutes, and then get out and shoot.

So, obviously I took my EDC S&W M&P9 with me to Phoenix. This was the first time I've ever flown with a gun. I thought about carrying into Cleveland Hopkins and disarming at the check-in counter, but decided not to. I did not want to draw my weapon in an airport. Nor did I want to take the time to unload the magazine and pack the ammo away in the individual slots in the manufacturers box to comply with the law. Check-in went without a hitch, though I must admit I got a small thrill out of saying that I was declaring a firearm. At Sky Harbor, as soon as I got my luggage, I went directly to the nearest restroom, loaded a magazine, put on the holster, and armed myself. There were no issues carrying in the airport.

On a side note, I believe my appearance is partially responsible for the overall lack of response or reaction that I've experienced while open carrying. I wear plain, clean t-shirts and cargo-style pants and Nike cross trainers. I do not have any visible tattoos or piercings, have very short grey hair and am cleanly shaven, and wear a belt that not only supports my holster but also keeps my pants from sagging. I have a wiry athletic build, and light and quick on my feet, and move with a purpose. I have been asked on numerous occasions if I am in the armed forces.

So, anyway, the wife and I are moving to the Valley of the Sun. We'll be there by the end of June. I can NOT wait!!

Last edited:

Brian D.

Best wishes to you in Arizona, Jason. Lived up at the south rim of the Grand Canyon a while in my youth, made several trips back to see the rest of the state.