Thread: SB613 - and Representative Diehl

Angry SB613 - and Representative Diehl

I edited this post as I found out new information that indicates representative Diehl is not at fault for the bill not being brought the floor.
    Last edited by dkangel; 03-26-2014 at 08:08 PM. Reason: New Information

E-mail(s) sent.
    Can we pressure him with removal next election cycle?
    If he is delaying, his motive is irrelevant, he is in effect killing the bill.
    If he ain't smart enough to know this then he needs to go.
    Intolerable.
    When will this dude be term limited?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    E-mail(s) sent.
    Can we pressure him with removal next election cycle?
    If he is delaying, his motive is irrelevant, he is in effect killing the bill.
    If he ain't smart enough to know this then he needs to go.
    Intolerable.
    When will this dude be term limited?
    +1
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Posting the reply from Greg Jeffrey over at MoCarry, where Dkangel posted the exact same comment/statement...

"dkangel,

I met with Sen Nieves before the recess. I met with Rep Funderburk during the recess and in his office again on Monday.

There are some issues within the bill that are being worked and the bill was not ready to be brought to the floor as of yesterday afternoon. These issues are being worked and coordinated with the House and Senate sponsors.

Calling Rep Diehl at this point may be counterproductive.

I suggest everyone stand down and request they do not call... at this time.. We don't want to inadvertently cause confusion and we need to LET the sponsors work.

IF I hear from them that they need our phone call assistance... You will most definitely read about it here.
    "

So please, until our people pushing this bill through need the assist, lets not rock the boat and force matters. There are some minor things being reworked and hammered out (not sure on the details) but it is proceeding.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by JEStucker View Post
    Posting the reply from Greg Jeffrey over at MoCarry, where Dkangel posted the exact same comment/statement...

"dkangel,

I met with Sen Nieves before the recess. I met with Rep Funderburk during the recess and in his office again on Monday.

There are some issues within the bill that are being worked and the bill was not ready to be brought to the floor as of yesterday afternoon. These issues are being worked and coordinated with the House and Senate sponsors.

Calling Rep Diehl at this point may be counterproductive.

I suggest everyone stand down and request they do not call... at this time.. We don't want to inadvertently cause confusion and we need to LET the sponsors work.

IF I hear from them that they need our phone call assistance... You will most definitely read about it here.
    "

So please, until our people pushing this bill through need the assist, lets not rock the boat and force matters. There are some minor things being reworked and hammered out (not sure on the details) but it is proceeding.
    On the one hand, I get it. On the other, why the hell weren't those "issues" ironed out with the rewrite from last years bill? Or, what are the issues? Smells fishy to me.
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Kansas City's mayor and police chief denounced SB 613 during their red herring public relations campaign after the Zoo incident. (I nailed it predicting they would focus on guns, but I was surprised they went after 613. They are in full distraction redirection exploit-the-crisis mode.)

I hope the "issues being worked out" are not related to pressure from people like that.

But if it's just improving the bill, that's great. Keep us posted, the suspense has been incredible! Last minute changes also add to the suspense wondering what we will end up with. At least it's still on track, that's good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    On the one hand, I get it. On the other, why the hell weren't those "issues" ironed out with the rewrite from last years bill? Or, what are the issues? Smells fishy to me.
    The rumors (and that they are) I'm hearing as to your question of "Why?"; there maybe some house members who voted for it last year that are catching some heat in their district (don't know specifics) and they are trying to tweak some areas for them, plus more Dems may be wanting to vote for it, you know 'bi-partisan', in hopes of having the gubbinor sign it, instead of a veto and playing the games again in Sept.

It's all politics as usually. I hope they don't let it fall through the cracks!
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    The rumors (and that they are) I'm hearing as to your question of "Why?"; there maybe some house members who voted for it last year that are catching some heat in their district (don't know specifics) and they are trying to tweak some areas for them, plus more Dems may be wanting to vote for it, you know 'bi-partisan', in hopes of having the gubbinor sign it, instead of a veto and playing the games again in Sept.

It's all politics as usually. I hope they don't let it fall through the cracks!
    I guess tweaking it to get Nixon to sign it would be nice, as long as they don't gut the Bill to do it. What can we do to make damn sure it doesn't fall through the cracks?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    I guess tweaking it to get Nixon to sign it would be nice, as long as they don't gut the Bill to do it. What can we do to make damn sure it doesn't fall through the cracks?!?
    This is the $64k question! The not so direct answer was similar to what JESucker posted via dkangel. Not sure I like it, but I'm going to give some leeway to them; for now.
    ~Mark Twain

Accomplished Advocate

So effing true I want to vomit.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

So

So where does this bill stand today?

It has been replaced with HB1439. That has passed both the House and Senate, but the Senate made a few small changes, so it's up for 3rd reading Monday in the House. I expect it to pass without much debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Firepit1x View Post
    So where does this bill stand today?

Quote Originally Posted by kcgunfan View Post
    It has been replaced with HB1439. That has passed both the House and Senate, but the Senate made a few small changes, so it's up for 3rd reading Monday in the House. I expect it to pass without much debate.
    Did not pass. The house and senate couldn't come to an agreement so now they are in committee trying to work out the differences. Not sure what will happen but this really sucks.

I think we all know what will happen. Hope dims. Nine days remain.

I suspect we're still OK, the House member's reasoning was pretty specious. Once that is exposed, I expect it to sail through.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You, Sir, are a tower of optimism.

I, on the other hand, am weak of mind where confidence in our elected representatives is concerned. Hopefully I will be proved wrong, and you correct. I am a "bettin man", but I will not wager on this bunch.

You, Sir, are a tower of optimism.

I, on the other hand, am weak of mind where confidence in our elected representatives is concerned. Hopefully I will be proved wrong, and you correct. I am a "bettin man", but I will not wager on this bunch.
    That's politics! Unfortunately.....
    ~Mark Twain

I listened to the debate. The case made was very very weak. If I were a pessimist, I would say they were out to kill it, and would have done so if the Rep had talked about his favorite dog. But, especially after passing SJR36, I think they're giving it a fair shake.