• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cincinnati/SW Ohio Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

Chuck!

Hard facts suck when your agenda is to villainize, don't they?
"lacking integrity" is when one gets corrected and still doesn't admit the truth
It's been around 18 months that he's been talking about a lawsuit, not the three years you've been saying

See, when you're villainizing someone (yeah, I made that word up) nothing is bad enough, so whatever it is, you have to make it worse.
Eventually, you end up doing things just to try and cause harm to a person or their reputation
And pretend you're doing something good.

All this vitriol does no good.
None,,,,,

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

Everyone-

I can't get behind the personal attacks and I do wish they would stop.

-----

I understand there are a lot of details that have to be worked out for the lawsuit against OSU to proceed and succeed, and I have never taken a "hurry up and file it" stance.

What I have done is disagree with Dynamike's belief that any open carry on campus would hurt his cause.

Because of MY belief that open carry, properly introduced on a campus, would be a good thing, I have been called everything from unreasonable and ignorant, to being accused, by the president of Ohioans for Concealed Carry, of having a mental disorder.

Nice.

These are the tactics I would normally face from a group of liberal, anti-gun protestors. To see this approach being used by the pro-gun side...saddens me.

You've probably heard of "projection". This is a mental act of denying an impulse YOU may have and "projecting" that impulse onto another person. This is why anti-gunners believe WE will be shooting everyone if we have guns. They are simply denying that's what THEY might do.

I think we also have to consider "transference", a rough example of which is here:

MyWifeSaidYes: I did not organize either of these walks. I was invited and accepted.

Dynamike: You may not have organized, but you're nonetheless at fault.

MyWifeSaidYes: <after a few moments of stunned silence> Okey-Dokey.

-----

The worst thing I have ever said about Jeff Garvas, OFCC president, was that he wasn't leading his organization, and I told him that in a personal email.

When he had an issue with me? I get called out and questioned openly in a group forum, once at the annual meeting (complete with powerpoint slides)(yes, slideS...plural) and once in a group email.

He probably didn't like the fact that I chose not to answer that last email, but I didn't feel that was an appropriate way to question my "loyalty" to OFCC (his words).

Loyalty?

My loyalty has ALWAYS been to the PEOPLE that make up a group, not the group itself. AND IT ALWAYS WILL !!

Once you think your GROUP is more important than the people IN the group, your group loses it's value. This is happening to Mike as head of the Ohio chapter of SCCC, to OFCC and even the United States. The "leaders" seem to believe "This is MY group and the people shall do as I say !!"

In a group, the people have far more power.

But, all of these guys have to remember, without the PEOPLE, you don't have a group.

-----

I am NOT a religious person, but that does NOT mean I don't have faith. My faith is placed in the common person. Sometimes that faith fails me but those times are EXCEEDINGLY rare.

I find that most people are good, understanding and open to hearing new information...younger people even more so.

So, when the leader of the state's premier gun rights group (Jeff at OFCC) says this about me and my faith in the average person...

Jeff Garvas: You give the random non-gun owner way too much credit and that is your biggest leap of ignorance.

I again did not respond. In this case, I simply don't know HOW to respond.

Jeff's experiences have colored his opinions, as have mine. We have had different experiences and therefore different opinions. That's normal.

How can I respond in any way that changes an opinion formed by actual experiences? I can't. Different experiences = differing opinions.

I just don't need to resort to name-calling and personal attacks when I don't get my way.

I don't think those are things that a good Christian or Jew would do, but like I said, I'm not religious.

-----

I hope everybody had a great weekend. I sure did.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Just let me add, most can't take what they dish out. And those that dish it out and can't take it, dish it out against the most experienced, the ones who have brought lawsuits against those that interfere with their rights and who have been cuffed for exercising their rights.

There are few on any of these gun forums that on their own pushed the envelope and risked losing their gun rights. I'm talking about risking their gun rights individually not in a group setting.

Also, most peoples opinions are concluded for all the wrong reasons. And most of those wrong opinions are drawn from others' experiences, not their own.

Safety is in numbers. And actions by groups can and do bring change. But, that group action usually resulted from someones individual sacrifice.

There is a big difference between “we” showed them versus “I” showed them.

MyWifeSaidYes

Stuff happens, pirateguy. Stuff happens.

I've had PAYING jobs that didn't last as long as my coordinator position. :p

Oh, well. Less stress for (and fewer restrictions on) me.

On a positive note, Mr. Garvas has posted on the OFCC forum as much in the last WEEK (9 times) as he has in the past YEAR (9 times 3/13 thru 3/14).

OFCC has an enormous amount of good people involved with the group and I want to see them grow and thrive (the group AND the people)!

pirateguy191

Stuff happens, pirateguy. Stuff happens.

I've had PAYING jobs that didn't last as long as my coordinator position. :p

Oh, well. Less stress for (and fewer restrictions on) me.

On a positive note, Mr. Garvas has posted on the OFCC forum as much in the last WEEK (9 times) as he has in the past YEAR (9 times 3/13 thru 3/14).

OFCC has an enormous amount of good people involved with the group and I want to see them grow and thrive (the group AND the people)!

So do I.

Brian D.

Hey gang, today I made a point of eating at the Hwy 55 Diner up near U.C.'s campus that was so friendly to our group two weeks ago. (If I'd realized that U.C.'s graduation was today I would have picked another time, kinda tough to park.) But it worked out well and I got to do some O.C. advocacy work while walking back to the car.

It's funny how people do or don't notice things. First duo I talked to commented positively about the cigar I'd just lit, and only after a bit of conversation did they see the Beretta 92 on my hip. That led to a simple couple of questions about "Why?", and "Who is allowed to do that?"...meaning carry the handgun, not smoke the stogie. Before I could get to the vehicle there were three more college age folks asking about O.C. 'ing. Things were going so well I think I could have made an afternoon of the advocacy/education thing, as a group of one!

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Hey gang, today I made a point of eating at the Hwy 55 Diner up near U.C.'s campus that was so friendly to our group two weeks ago. (If I'd realized that U.C.'s graduation was today I would have picked another time, kinda tough to park.) But it worked out well and I got to do some O.C. advocacy work while walking back to the car.

It's funny how people do or don't notice things. First duo I talked to commented positively about the cigar I'd just lit, and only after a bit of conversation did they see the Beretta 92 on my hip. That led to a simple couple of questions about "Why?", and "Who is allowed to do that?"...meaning carry the handgun, not smoke the stogie. Before I could get to the vehicle there were three more college age folks asking about O.C. 'ing. Things were going so well I think I could have made an afternoon of the advocacy/education thing, as a group of one!
Nice work. I'm jealous!

Clearly you are THE MAN, Brian D! :cool: :cool:

Brian D.

BB62, I'll never be as "comfortable in my own skin" when O.C.'ing alone as you seem to be, but most times I'm not sure how many people even spot the gun. My normal (concealed and over all) carry rigs are inside-the-waistband so maybe that lowers the profile, but either way it's always a service sized handgun on my waistline, like a Beretta 92, 1911 Government size, or Browning Hi Power.

Maybe another factor is because I'm over fifty and (so people tell me) look neither crazy, decrepit, menacing, or sinister; I think people's inner dialogue when they see me is like 'Oh, it must be okay for him to be carrying that gun.' Maybe the cigar smoke keeps 'em back a few feet sometimes too. ;)

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
BB62, I'll never be as "comfortable in my own skin" when O.C.'ing alone as you seem to be, but most times I'm not sure how many people even spot the gun. My normal (concealed and over all) carry rigs are inside-the-waistband so maybe that lowers the profile, but either way it's always a service sized handgun on my waistline, like a Beretta 92, 1911 Government size, or Browning Hi Power.

Maybe another factor is because I'm over fifty and (so people tell me) look neither crazy, decrepit, menacing, or sinister; I think people's inner dialogue when they see me is like 'Oh, it must be okay for him to be carrying that gun.' Maybe the cigar smoke keeps 'em back a few feet sometimes too. ;)
I don't think so. I've witnessed a security guard calling the police on an open carrier because he believed that if the public saw a holstered firearm that would cause panic. And the open carrier was an old fart.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
On-duty University of Cincinnati police officer attacked in broad daylight: http://tinyurl.com/kmgd6zb

"A longtime campus police officer is recovering after being attacked Sunday afternoon while trying to help a person who claimed to be a victim of an assault.

The incident happened at about 3:15 p.m. in front of a parking garage at W. McMillan and S. Market streets, not far from the University of Cincinnati campus in Clifton.

UC Officer David Freudiger was driving along W. McMillan when a person flagged him down, alleged they had been attacked and asked for help. When the officer got out of his vehicle, a second person approached and began punching him in the face, according to a lieutenant with the University of Cincinnati Police Department..."

Maybe more lawsuits or more bills that are merely introduced, but going nowhere, will help?