• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas trooper claims that OC hurts the 2A

Augustin

Youtube video 2:39 minutes long taken in Dallas - Dallas North Tollway @ Northaven:

TX Trooper on Open Carry: "We don't need that here"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7C4XpYFkIg

So the cops decides to stop and deliver a little lecture that is nothing more than his own pig-headed ignorant opinion and not based on law. His logic is that you should voluntarily NOT exercise your right because doing so freaks out the generally dumb public, and so you are in effect hurting the 2A. At least he didn't disarm the gentleman or demand ID. I wonder how the encounter might have turned out if there were not cameras recording.

stealthyeliminator

He's impeding traffic to complain at someone. Kind of ridiculous IMO. Thankfully I believe there are far more generally positive interactions with officers than there are negative.

HPmatt

A little more to the story - here's another longer video of why they're doing it - looks like the City of Dallas passed an ordinance anti-1A that prohibits traffic disturbances anywhere in view of freeways - even if legally on public sidewalks. These guys are picking to do this on City of Dallas property, but over the Dallas N Tollway - a state tollroad that is patrolled by Texas Dept of Public Safety troopers.

Supposedly a Homeland Security guy in civilian clothes at the 2:30 mark - probably keeping an eye on the 'subversive' right wingers and 2A supporters. 'You're very adversarial, but that's what I'm here for (your protection)'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB9bRNFsn3o&list=UU6re5y5EqwrAxI_SeaXzxAw

Btw this video shows the back part of Charlie Pride's house - the overpass runs East/West, so Tollway runs North/South - his house is to the Southwest - the open field when the Dallas cops drive up and also over the shoulder of some of the interviewees.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
And his argument is flawed. The 2A is a federal recognition of a right. Texas is one of the FEW gun backward states that refuse it, so there is ample evidence that most of the country is not so stupid.

stealthyeliminator

Wait, that guy is with DHS? Or is he a Dallas PD employee that works with the DHS? If he is DHS... What the hell is his purpose there? I kinda doubt it's to make sure they're safe -- first of all, the guy is exercising his 2nd amendment rights showing that he's in all likely hood bounds ahead of the typical citizen in terms of preparedness for self defense and secondly, is that not the responsibility of the local agencies? Is DHS going to start "protecting" everyone over the top of local agencies? I don't understand how this could be anything other than trying to establish the DHS as a national/federal police force.

ANYWAY, I found it interesting that he'd just casually say he's seen the guy at open carry rallies before... O rly 0_0

Fallschirjmäger

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should."

D'j'ever notice that those who say such silly things never think the same should apply to them?

Just because you can house convicted offenders in prison doesn't mean you should....
Just because you can hide behind a bush and use radar to find people exceeding the speed limit doesn't mean you should...
Just because you can lie and misstate facts in order to trick people into revealing actionable acts....

stealthyeliminator

Most Texans are not anti-gun. Imo Texas law, many Texas mis-representatives, and Texas 'peace' officers are essentially anti-gun. That is changing, though. The antis in Texas are being found, slowly but surely. That's another good thing about open carry, the antis have a hard time keeping their mouths shut. You open carry in 'their' city and you are likely to find out about how anti they are as the harrasment ensues

Also Texas is one of only, what, 6 states that prohibit open carry of a handgun? Its embarrassing.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Most Texans are not anti-gun. Imo Texas law, many Texas mis-representatives, and Texas 'peace' officers are essentially anti-gun. That is changing, though. The antis in Texas are being found, slowly but surely. That's another good thing about open carry, the antis have a hard time keeping their mouths shut. You open carry in 'their' city and you are likely to find out about how anti they are as the harrasment ensues

Also Texas is one of only, what, 6 states that prohibit open carry of a handgun? Its embarrassing.

Agreed, most Texans are not anti-gun.

But Texas is a great place to point out the complacency that defines Americans' reaction to government these days. If everyone around me likes guns, and I can get my cute little hall pass, then my state must be pro-gun, right?

Wrong.

stealthyeliminator

Agreed, most Texans are not anti-gun.

But Texas is a great place to point out the complacency that defines Americans' reaction to government these days. If everyone around me likes guns, and I can get my cute little hall pass, then my state must be pro-gun, right?

Wrong.
(added bold and underline)
Exactly, I agree 100%

Thankfully we at least have organizations like Open Carry Texas and Come and Take It that are shedding their complacency and really starting to fight against these prohibitions.

Last edited: