Thread: So I gave a presentation about guns at my sisters high school yesterday.

So I gave a presentation about guns at my sisters high school yesterday.

Awhile back I was invited by my sisters forensics teacher to give a presentation on ballistics, gun laws, and just guns in general, and I was finally able to do it yesterday.

I brought in a ton of promo materials that Glock sent me, enough to fill one gift bag for each of the 25-30 students in the class, along with my binder of Michigan gun laws, my instructor stuff, a few different holsters, safety glasses, ear protection, a few spent casings, posters, a sand filled bucket that I had been using as a backstop with more than a thousand rounds in it (mostly .22LR) that I was donating to the class to use for some projects, and some other miscellaneous stuff. I spoke for about half the class, mostly about gun laws, specifically focusing on carry laws, both concealed, and open, it went very well, and the class was fairly responsive, and interested, the second half we started digging through the bucket, and the students had to do some sketches under a magnifier.

Unfortunately though zero tolerance raised it's head, and because my gift bags contained the little Glock keychain the teacher got nervous of the fallout, and asked the admin if they could keep them, and was told that they had to return the entire bags. The students were not happy, and their was much grumbling as the bags were passed back forward. I did however give them instructions on how to contact Glock, and ask for more. I was pleased though that some of the students defied instructions, and some of the bags were returned "light".

It was refreshing to find a school that despite the silly zero tolerance issues was open enough to let me do this, and actually present a strong pro gun opinion.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Awesome!
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Awesome!
    Ditto!

Sounds like a fun class to be honest. At least when a pro-gun guy is visiting to give a presentation...
    Advocate freedom please

Banned
    Did ya bring a 80% lower and show them how to finish it? That's an education they should all have ....

Well done S.A.C. ! :thumbup:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Good job and I would bet, most unusual in today's nonsensical "zero climate".
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by Small_Arms_Collector View Post
    SNIP...Unfortunately though zero tolerance raised it's head, and because my gift bags contained the little Glock keychain the teacher got nervous of the fallout, and asked the admin if they could keep them, and was told that they had to return the entire bags. The students were not happy, and their was much grumbling as the bags were passed back forward. I did however give them instructions on how to contact Glock, and ask for more. I was pleased though that some of the students defied instructions, and some of the bags were returned "light".

It was refreshing to find a school that despite the silly zero tolerance issues was open enough to let me do this, and actually present a strong pro gun opinion.
    Amazing. Keychains, Pop-Tarts, and even fingers. There aren't enough facepalms in the world...

Great job though. It seems at least that batch of kids won't receive a one-sided perspective on guns.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Schools and pro-gun education

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    Amazing. Keychains, Pop-Tarts, and even fingers. There aren't enough facepalms in the world...

Great job though. It seems at least that batch of kids won't receive a one-sided perspective on guns.
    And even some legislators get it:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...-bill/5254629/

"If it becomes law, kids in the Sunshine State can creatively gnaw their toaster pastries without fear of suspension."

Disappointing that it takes this level of intervention to cut through the mental smog.

I wish there was a rep button on this board I would try and click it more than once for the OP, great story and it really hits home with today's political correctness. I especially liked the inherit civil disobedience some of the kids displayed. Well done sir.

Outstanding!

You are a GREAT American!
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Small_Arms_Collector View Post
    I was pleased though that some of the students defied instructions, and some of the bags were returned "light".
    There's hope for those kids!
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Dario View Post
    .......I especially liked the inherit civil disobedience some of the kids displayed.........
    You did a good thing Mate. Good on you.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Thanks for the story! Good job!
    SIC VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

μολὼν λαβέ - molṑn labé - ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - COME AND TAKE!!!!