• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So I gave a presentation about guns at my sisters high school yesterday.

Small_Arms_Collector

Awhile back I was invited by my sisters forensics teacher to give a presentation on ballistics, gun laws, and just guns in general, and I was finally able to do it yesterday.

I brought in a ton of promo materials that Glock sent me, enough to fill one gift bag for each of the 25-30 students in the class, along with my binder of Michigan gun laws, my instructor stuff, a few different holsters, safety glasses, ear protection, a few spent casings, posters, a sand filled bucket that I had been using as a backstop with more than a thousand rounds in it (mostly .22LR) that I was donating to the class to use for some projects, and some other miscellaneous stuff. I spoke for about half the class, mostly about gun laws, specifically focusing on carry laws, both concealed, and open, it went very well, and the class was fairly responsive, and interested, the second half we started digging through the bucket, and the students had to do some sketches under a magnifier.

Unfortunately though zero tolerance raised it's head, and because my gift bags contained the little Glock keychain the teacher got nervous of the fallout, and asked the admin if they could keep them, and was told that they had to return the entire bags. The students were not happy, and their was much grumbling as the bags were passed back forward. I did however give them instructions on how to contact Glock, and ask for more. I was pleased though that some of the students defied instructions, and some of the bags were returned "light".

It was refreshing to find a school that despite the silly zero tolerance issues was open enough to let me do this, and actually present a strong pro gun opinion.:D

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...Unfortunately though zero tolerance raised it's head, and because my gift bags contained the little Glock keychain the teacher got nervous of the fallout, and asked the admin if they could keep them, and was told that they had to return the entire bags. The students were not happy, and their was much grumbling as the bags were passed back forward. I did however give them instructions on how to contact Glock, and ask for more. I was pleased though that some of the students defied instructions, and some of the bags were returned "light".

It was refreshing to find a school that despite the silly zero tolerance issues was open enough to let me do this, and actually present a strong pro gun opinion.:D

Amazing. Keychains, Pop-Tarts, and even fingers. There aren't enough facepalms in the world...

Great job though. It seems at least that batch of kids won't receive a one-sided perspective on guns.

Contrarian

Schools and pro-gun education

Amazing. Keychains, Pop-Tarts, and even fingers. There aren't enough facepalms in the world...

Great job though. It seems at least that batch of kids won't receive a one-sided perspective on guns.

And even some legislators get it:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2014/02/06/pop-tart-gun-bill/5254629/

"If it becomes law, kids in the Sunshine State can creatively gnaw their toaster pastries without fear of suspension."

Disappointing that it takes this level of intervention to cut through the mental smog.

Dario

I wish there was a rep button on this board I would try and click it more than once for the OP, great story and it really hits home with today's political correctness. I especially liked the inherit civil disobedience some of the kids displayed. Well done sir.