• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travelling from the land of persecution to Colorado

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
DanNabis,

No need to care TOO much about travelling through unfriendly (anti-gun) states since Federal law covers you:

As per the "Safe Passage" provision of the Firearm Owners Protection Act.
18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms:

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

see http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

Consequently, don't get over-worried about it, just go and enjoy your trip.

Happy Trails...

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I've driven cross-country with firearms a couple times.

Really, there is no substitute for planning a route, then reading the pertinent sections of legislation (or at least looking at the OCDO maps) for each state on the list. The last thing you want to do is catch a gun charge in some state you'd prefer never to return to.

Or you can leave it locked in the trunk the whole time.

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
z28power,

Yes, I was only addressing travelling with a gun, not carrying it (sorry)...

But wanting to OC as much as possible probably isn't realistic, so he should just get through the "inconvenience" of not being able to OC in every state he passes through and just focus on GETTING to his destination as soon as possible (no "loitering" in repressive/backwards in-between repressive states -- where he CAN carry as he wants to. So yes, the gun will be spending a lot of time locked up...but the good news is that it will still be in his possession, rather than confiscated during some traffic stop. I mean, imagine someone in a car with Texas license plates driving through Maryland -- a traffic stop is quite possible, and no matter how you secure your guns in your car, the conversation probably won't be pleasant; the end result may be worse.

And lately, people in cars with Colorado license plates (now that pot is legal here) say they are being profiled and stopped in other states, merely for having CO plates, as cops think pot is aboard.

Whatever, the important thing is to MOVE and arrive safely...WITH your "cargo." Which likely will mean you can't OC in every state. Even if the state DID allow OC and DID have a pre-emption law preventing cities/towns from differing, you could have a situation like Colorado -- which DOES have a state-wide pre-emption law -- yet arrogant Denver has exempted itself from said law -- exempted itself from it's own State Constitution -- and declared OC is illegal in Denver/Denver County, so there are the various local ordinances that might get you anyway even in an "alleged" OC state (as someone else mentioned).

At least he's going to a state where there's both CC and OC...could be worse, like moving to Hawaii. ;-)

Aloha...

:)

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Here's my basic idea so far - Avoiding PA since no OC in vehicles.

Start: NO Carry - NJ to DE/MD to

OC - VA to KY to

Iffy - MO / AR to KS to
**** The OpenCarry.org OC map lists AR as a gold star state and yet the page on AR explains that OC is not even actually an option in AR - rather confusing.
*I'm thinking since I'm only passing through, that AR might be ok with OC in vehicle. Maybe I'll just try not to stop there unless for gas. Or I'll stick to MO which seems to allow adult OC in cars and while passing through.

OC - CO (<-amazing how Colorado's abbreviation hasthe same letters as Open Carry. :) )

I just want to try and find out as many issues or problems I might face as I travel and I'd like to have to take off my holster as little as possible.

Has anyone had any experience travelling OC in these states or through them??

Be very careful in Maryland. I doubt you'll find any problems there as long as you keep your firearm(s) locked in your trunk. When you hit Virginia, your freedom begins. Open carry here is a no-brainer whether in your car or out of it. It is the normal mode of carrying a sidearm in Virginia (read that as standard/default/natural). Enjoy our state and doing that which you cannot do in NJ.

Red Dawg

While Pennsylvania has a specific law that requires a License To Carry Firearms for the concealed carry of a firearm, and the carry of firearms in vehicles, the law is silent on the legality of openly carrying a firearm in other situations, making it de-facto legal.
There is however a law that requires a License To Carry Firearms to carry either way in "cities of the first class", which as defined by law is only the city of Philadelphia. http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-firearms/open-carry

The Constitution of West Virginia protects the right of the people to keep and bear arms.[SUP][3][/SUP] West Virginia preempts local regulation of several aspects of firearms, though local regulations which were in effect prior to 1999 were grandfathered.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP] Further, State agencies and institutions are not precluded from enacting laws which regulate firearms.[SUP][5][/SUP] Charleston, Dunbar, and South Charleston are known to have grandfathered local ordinances which prohibit weapons on city property and in city buildings. The City of Martinsburg is known to have a local ordinance that was passed after 1999, which prohibits weapons in city buildings, that is not grandfathered.[SUP][6][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][8][/SUP]
There are no firearms known to be prohibited by State law. Prohibited places include correctional facilities, primary and secondary school property; buses; and events, courthouses, the State Capitol Complex and grounds, private property where posted, certain areas in Charleston, Dunbar, and South Charleston.[SUP][9][/SUP] There are age restrictions on the possession of firearms and some people are prohibited from possessing firearms due to certain criminal convictions or naturalization status. Private sales of firearms, including handguns, are legal and do not require the seller to perform a background check; however, it is unlawful to sell a firearm to a prohibited person.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP]
Open carry of a handgun without a permit is legal in West Virginia at age 18, withstanding other applicable laws. Concealed carry of a handgun is prohibited except for persons who hold a valid license or who hold certain positions. West Virginia shall issue a license to carry a concealed handgun to applicants over 21 years of age; or 18 years of age if required for employment; provided that they meet certain safety training requirements and do not have any disqualifying criminal convictions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_West_Virginia

Ohio is a traditional open-carry state. The open-carry of firearms by those who legally possess the firearm is a legal activity in Ohio with or without a license. While legal, the practice is not common in urban areas and often results in police responding. Various cases of harassment by police on those open carrying have been documented. Furthermore one must have a concealed handgun license to carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle regardless of whether or not it is concealed.

KY is also an open carry state...From there, MO, KS and CO are open carry as well. PLEASE DO FURTHER RESEARCH. There may some minor restrictions....I was bored so I got you started.

S

OC for ME

I95 to I495 (crossing the Potomac River places you in a very liberty minded state when compared to the PRNJ) to I66 to I81 to I40 to I55 to I270 to I64 to I70:

I70 West (through Denver) to Grand Junction (gas up to not have to stop in Denver).

I70 to I25 North (in Denver) to Loveland, Fort Collins (gas up to not have to stop in Denver).

I70 to I25 South (in Denver) to Castle Rock, Colorado Springs, Pueblo (gas up to not have to stop in Denver).

Note: Aprroximately 40 miles east of Denver, on I70 - Exit 328, is Deer Trail, there you may be able to apply for a drone hunting license.

Have a safe trip.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Tom Tom..

route with OC and CC throughout, as much as possible: 5,438 miles ... 10 yrs to accomplish

want to avoid tolls? :cuss::cuss::banghead:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Hope this is a civil case and I can just pay the fine w/o having to do any time......is community service an option?
..............I think they revoked your "free parking" at OCDO headquarters.

Congratulations moving out of New Jersey!
....and Welcome to OCDO....(and Freedom)

This is TRUTH!! I was born in NJ and escaped at the early age of (just barely) eighteen. Now I am retired in the Great Northwest and I Open Carry every day. Good luck to you mate.

You might send a little note to NJs governor and tell him you left and why. If enough of the escaping Citizens did this, they might (but I doubt it) change their ways.

langenc

Hello.

I am from the terrible (for firearms enthusiasts) state NJ.

I am leaving to live in a state with more reasonable, liberty respecting laws.

I am traveling across country soon and I was hoping to be able to OC as much as possible along the way, maybe continuously once I get to the first car-friendly OC state.

So what do you think are the best routes for an OC-er to travel from New Jersey to Colorado, with as little harassment as unarmed time as possible?

Dont go to CO-too many Kalifornians have moved there and screwed it up..but maybe youd fit right in there (CO).

Last edited:

DanNabis

if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:

Thanks for the response Cloudcroft.

To clarify, I'm hoping to travel while OCing, loaded and in a holster.

So I don't think that law covers me, and since in NJ it is not legal to carry, there's probably the stipulation that even though carry is legal at my destination, it's not at the place of departure so them = not legal carry.

I do get what you're saying though, that I shouldn't need to worry about confiscation/excessive harassment if I decide to lock my guns away and unloaded, but I feel that defeats the purpose of having them..

DanNabis

Dont go to CO-too many Kalifornians have moved there and screwed it up..but maybe youd fit right in there (CO).

I dunno, what you mean per se about fitting in. I do take pride in being individual, free and weird/gonzo :D

I'm going there for many reasons, history, connections to my heroes in life and literature, friends, lower taxes, good gun laws (until recent infringements.)

If everyone rational leaves then there will be no one to fix and repeal the nonsense laws, like capacity limits and carry restrictions.

I'll be another vote for us and I will be an outspoken ambassador for our rights. I think I can have a positive impact on those I encounter and hopefully get many people thinking and reconsidering their uneducated antigun viewpoints.

DanNabis

KY is also an open carry state...From there, MO, KS and CO are open carry as well. PLEASE DO FURTHER RESEARCH. There may some minor restrictions....I was bored so I got you started.

S

This fits with my travel itinerary. NJ beeline to VA to KY to MO to KS to CO.
Seems like a pretty solid route. I know there are certain exceptions, cities to avoid (Kansas City, St. Louis)

I've been doing lots of digging and planning and I'm all set to hit the road. I'll post back in a week or two a summarize my experience, unless I get jailed or some other delay.

Really tempted to bring a small covert video camera so that I can turn it on if I am stopped and record any LEO interactions for posterity.

Thanks for the many responses here, really helped me get my confidence up and some good pointers and food for thought.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Is that a real thing? Are you serious? :eek::lol::rolleyes:

After becoming famous for the suggestion, Deer Trail will not be issuing drone-hunting licenses.

Residents in the Colorado town have voted down a unique proposal that highlighted displeasure with government surveillance and would have allowed townspeople to get licenses to shoot down drones in local airspace.
http://time.com/46327/drone-hunting-deer-trail/