• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Waterfront Park

travis1911

Has anyone else heard about the attacks at waterfront park? Had these folks been exercising their 2A rights do you think the results would've been any different? How well does a single armed citizen stack up to a mob of 20+?

This just adds to the many reasons why I stay south of the Gene Snyder as often as possible.

Here's a link to just one of the many stories.
http://www.wave3.com/story/25061909/safety-at-waterfront-park

KRM59

I was there Sunday the day after all the mayhem. At the time I decided to go check out the big four Bridge I had not heard about what had occurred the night before. As to the question of one armed Citizen vs a Mob, one never knows the final outcome to such a scenario. I would offer a speculative guess, If one would have used a gun in aid of the assaulted party at the Bridge it could have dispersed the mob in a quick manor or could have started a gun fight. We know at least one had a gun, speaking only for myself I would find it hard to stand and watch an innocent Person being assaulted in front of their family. But until faced with this scenario I do not know exactly how I would react.

self preservation

Has anyone else heard about the attacks at waterfront park? Had these folks been exercising their 2A rights do you think the results would've been any different? How well does a single armed citizen stack up to a mob of 20+?

This just adds to the many reasons why I stay south of the Gene Snyder as often as possible.

I'm no expert and it could go either way, but I would drop as many as I could in hopes that the others would scatter. You probably couldn't shoot them all, but you could get a few.

bigdodge25

What I don't understand is how 2 dozen cameras are going to do anything to stop the madness. Criminals rob places every day with cameras and does that stop them, Heck no. only thing that has ever turned a criminal around is a law abiding citizen with a firearm

As stated above if the victim was carrying it probably would have turned out better but could have started a gun fight. No one knows though. Also an eye opener as to why you need to carry extra mags.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate

Is there a media blackout on this kind of stuff, or are people just oblivious?

self preservation

None of us can predict the future. But if I'm getting beat by 20+ people, I'm going to assume that their plan is to kill me. So if I fire the first shot and one of them fires back on me, dead is dead. Just because one of the thugs had a gun doesn't necessarily mean that he was willing to use it. I assume that most people that carry (LAC's & thugs) have the mindset that they will use their firearm if need be. But how many times have we seen "crunch time" arrive and people freeze up?

Primus

None of us can predict the future. But if I'm getting beat by 20+ people, I'm going to assume that their plan is to kill me. So if I fire the first shot and one of them fires back on me, dead is dead. Just because one of the thugs had a gun doesn't necessarily mean that he was willing to use it. I assume that most people that carry (LAC's & thugs) have the mindset that they will use their firearm if need be. But how many times have we seen "crunch time" arrive and people freeze up?

Ok now I get it. I apologize. I thought you meant just "dropping" people who were mobbing or fighting other people not you. This makes sense.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

KRM59

weird question

since the bridge is blocked off at the Indiana side is the whole span considered Kentucky? therefore oc legal. Or is there some point on the bridge that it turns to Indiana jurisdiction?

self preservation

Ok now I get it. I apologize. I thought you meant just "dropping" people who were mobbing or fighting other people not you. This makes sense.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

That does bring up an interesting point. Surly you would intervene if you saw an innocent person about to be killed or seriously injured by another person. After all, KRS 503.070 does state "The use of deadly physical force by a defendant upon another person is justifiable when: (a) The defendant believes that such force is necessary to protect a third person against imminent death, serious physical injury, kidnapping,sexual intercourse compelled by force or threat, or other felony involving the use of force, or under those circumstances permitted pursuant to KRS 503.055"

But what would you do if instead of the victim having one or two attackers, they instead had 50 to 100 attackers?

self preservation

Bob Hill, well know Louisville naturalist, author and businessman, has organized a walk across the Big Four Bridge on Sunday, March 30 at 1 pm. His stated purpose is to show community support for the "popular span". Louisville Mayor, Greg Fischer, has committed to participating in the walk. This would be an excellent OC opportunity. Not only would you demonstrate that OC is legal, but that it is wise to do so, in light of the recent events. As an extra bonus, you also would have the opportunity to really irritate two outspoken proponents of gun control and those that are attracted to their events. The real, positive aspect is that if you were illegally arrested, you would only have to spend one night in jail; quite a selling point. This might be the only time I could visit downtown Louisville and feel safe.

Once again I must confess my ignorance.........what is "popular span"?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
since the bridge is blocked off at the Indiana side is the whole span considered Kentucky? therefore oc legal. Or is there some point on the bridge that it turns to Indiana jurisdiction?
So it's a walking bridge to nowhere?

Hmmm...

At least on Cincinnati's Purple People Bridge you can go all the way across: http://purplepeoplebridge.com/

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

That does bring up an interesting point. Surly you would intervene if you saw an innocent person about to be killed or seriously injured by another person. After all, KRS 503.070 does state "The use of deadly physical force by a defendant upon another person is justifiable when: (a) The defendant believes that such force is necessary to protect a third person against imminent death, serious physical injury, kidnapping,sexual intercourse compelled by force or threat, or other felony involving the use of force, or under those circumstances permitted pursuant to KRS 503.055"

But what would you do if instead of the victim having one or two attackers, they instead had 50 to 100 attackers?
My underlining for emphasis.

You mean a riot not unlike what occurred in L.A.?

I'll go ahead and answer. Depending on the circumstances, the person may or may not be worth the effort:

If it is a known anti being mobbed, I would chalk it up as karma.
If it was a Freedom-loving individual or a child (just about the only innocent human beings on this planet), then an effort must be made, and hopefully you remembered carried extra magazines.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...This might be the only time I could visit downtown Louisville and feel safe.

Okay, so who's going?
Well, I was thinking about coming, but since it appears no one else is, I guess I won't! :cry:

No reason not to go.
You'll have the opportunity to desensitize A LOT of people, especially if you have the wife and kids in tow.
If I lived near Louisville, instead of 110 miles away, I would go, but when it seems there's no local interest, well...

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...If I lived near Louisville, instead of 110 miles away, I would go, but when it seems there's no local interest, well...

*Says while looking down at boots, embarrassed*: Didn't see your state of residence when I posted that. My bad.:(

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Whether bridge, road, sidewalk, parking lot, or railroad track, when you cross the line you are somewhere else :)

Blocking one end doesn't alter where you are or who is in control.

bunnspecial