• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Having a voice

HP995

Be active in our mainstream media!

The anti-gunners have a whole system and network of people in place to feed their opinions to the public and respond to any incident with their spin, and they promote it anyway when things are quiet.

We know the media operators lean heavily in their favor. But we shouldn't let them have the papers and airwaves all to themselves. That shapes a lot of public opinion. Ignore it at your own risk. We can preach to the choir with fellow gun owners, or we can actually go outside our comfort zone and influence others.

Hey, the advantage is actually on our side. We have the second amendment. But we have let them get the upper hand time and again, and let them gain control of the media for their mouthpiece.

I see some people writing letters to the editor to refute anti-gun arguments that were published. Be like them! Submit an opinion now and then wherever you can. Just keep it smart, not emotional, and don't hit send right after typing - review and edit first thing the next day and you'll see where it can be improved, send it in the morning. Make a mature and polite argument about the issue.

You probably don't need to push specific bills - usually - because most people are not familiar with the issues. For the general public it's more about "guns are evil" versus guns are helpful, and you can guess which of those they see most often. It's just a constant drum beat to affect how people will think and vote.

If something happens in your city, no matter how unrelated, they are going to twist things beyond what seems logically possible, to try and use it to attack guns rather than the real issue. They will never let a crisis go to waste. And they have a sort of "good old boy" network to agree and support each other. I'm seeing this in my area (Kansas City) and it's actually amazing how a group of elite people work together to control a city.

So don't let them have the floor all to themselves. Refute inaccurate statements - they crank them out steadily, so it should provide some easy targets.

Another area is schools, libraries and other big community institutions. The anti-gunners are using these to indoctrinate kids. I'm not really sure what opportunities there are to send a different message, that's more difficult, but I'm sure there are ways. Again, don't let them be the only voice.

Oramac

Great advice! Easier said than done, of course, but definitely something we all need to be doing more of.

MamaLiberty

I've been doing this for many years, on many freedom topics. Just a suggestion: in addition to careful editing and a calm, rational voice... keep it simple and brief as possible. Most people won't read a long screed, often even if they basically agree with it! Attention spans are short, and many people are reading blogs, news and fora on itty bitty screens... Keep it simple and they'll more likely read it. Leave a link, if allowed, to more details. http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/?page_id=848

OC for ME

I've been doing this for many years, on many freedom topics. Just a suggestion: in addition to careful editing and a calm, rational voice... keep it simple and brief as possible. Most people won't read a long screed, often even if they basically agree with it! Attention spans are short, and many people are reading blogs, news and fora on itty bitty screens... Keep it simple and they'll more likely read it. Leave a link, if allowed, to more details. http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/?page_id=848
And use a 24 font.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and lightning bug. - MT