Thread: Questions about laws regarding campus carry

Questions about laws regarding campus carry

I'm going to be interviewed tomorrow by a member of the press regarding campus carry, and I'd much appreciate information from those more knowledgeable than I about campus carry.

For instance, I've seen various statements in the press that "7 states allow campus carry", and I realize that Idaho is the 7th. Got that. However, I see from the OCDO map: http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=143 that there are a lot of states where a) it's not statutorily prohibited (20), and b) where it's specifically authorized (3). Note that neither is 7.

Of course, I recognize that no doubt in some states campus carry may be legal, but the college may be able to toss a student out who is found to be carrying concealed.

I'm studying the SCCC website, but thought I'd also put the question out there for more information about preemption and various nuances. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    I'm going to be interviewed tomorrow by a member of the press regarding campus carry, and I'd much appreciate information from those more knowledgeable than I about campus carry.

For instance, I've seen various statements in the press that "7 states allow campus carry", and I realize that Idaho is the 7th. Got that. However, I see from the OCDO map: http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=143 that there are a lot of states where a) it's not statutorily prohibited (20), and b) where it's specifically authorized (3). Note that neither is 7.

Of course, I recognize that no doubt in some states campus carry may be legal, but the college may be able to toss a student out who is found to be carrying concealed.

I'm studying the SCCC website, but thought I'd also put the question out there for more information about preemption and various nuances. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think for the time being it is illegal to carry on college in Ohio. In KY, there is no weight of law behind a university's "no weapons" signs but if caught cops will be called and you will be expelled (based on previous students being caught carrying, albeit they announced it, and the fact that most schools here are super-liberal).

Quote Originally Posted by poetdante View Post
    I think for the time being it is illegal to carry on college in Ohio.
    The way many of us read the Ohio Revised Code, concealed carry is illegal on a college campus, but no one has yet been able to find any law against open carry on campus. Students and faculty are subject to disciplinary action if they violate a school's no guns policy, pf course, but that is pretty much it.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    The way many of us read the Ohio Revised Code, concealed carry is illegal on a college campus, but no one has yet been able to find any law against open carry on campus. Students and faculty are subject to disciplinary action if they violate a school's no guns policy, pf course, but that is pretty much it.
    And last Saturday, about 70 of us did just that--carried openly on the University of Cincinati campus. Not in the buildings, but on the property, since it's publicly owned.

Just thought this thread needed an update.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    And last Saturday, about 70 of us did just that--carried openly on the University of Cincinati campus....
    Including 13 students.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    And last Saturday, about 70 of us did just that--carried openly on the University of Cincinati campus. Not in the buildings, but on the property, since it's publicly owned.

Just thought this thread needed an update.
    Including 13 students.
    An event I followed closely and was quite pleased to hear was a great success. Kudos to all involved, and special congratulations to you, BB62, for making it happen!
    NRA Life Member

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    An event I followed closely and was quite pleased to hear was a great success. Kudos to all involved, and special congratulations to you, BB62, for making it happen!
    Thank you kindly, JAS.

If you're available this Saturday, come to Ohio State University, where we will also be ON campus: https://www.facebook.com/events/375006232642421

If you're available this Saturday, come to Ohio State University, where we will also be ON campus: https://www.facebook.com/events/375006232642421
    As such things seem to go, I had already made plans to spend time with family over the Easter weekend. I'll keep my eyes open for subsequent events and will attend where possible.

Keep up the good work!
    NRA Life Member