• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Double barreled AR-15 ?!?

Baked on Grease

It is a Class III gun.

"A machine gun is any gun that can fire more than one shot with a single pull of the trigger,...."
http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/nfa_faqhtml.html#What_Is_An_NFA_Weapon

IMO - both barrels could be bolt action and it would still be Class III.

I remember someone here linked a letter from the ATF about these double barrel guns. Their opinion was that is was NOT a class 3 item. The said something to the effect of: they 'understand that the definition to mean one cycle per trigger pull. So long as the trigger must be released and depressed a second time to initiate a second cycle it is still a semiautomatic weapon. You could fire a thousand barrels at once to expel a thousand rounds at a time so long as the trigger only initiates a single cycling of the action."

I am on a mobile and at work so my Google powers are limited. .. If it's not found by the time I get home I'll hunt for it then.

Also according to that definition a single 'shot' does not necessarily mean a single bullet but can easily be interpreted to mean a single cycling of the action as a shot. Otherwise a shotgun could be defined as a class 3 item since each pellet could be defined as a 'shot' if it is then interchangeable with 'bullet' in the law...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Ah, that's a really good point. Clearly "shot" cannot mean "projectile", or else the law would refer to shotguns, which nobody thinks for a minute was the intended effect.

So if one "shot" can constitute multiple projectiles, why must it be limited to a single cartridge?

stealthyeliminator

I remember someone here linked a letter from the ATF about these double barrel guns. Their opinion was that is was NOT a class 3 item. The said something to the effect of: they 'understand that the definition to mean one cycle per trigger pull. So long as the trigger must be released and depressed a second time to initiate a second cycle it is still a semiautomatic weapon. You could fire a thousand barrels at once to expel a thousand rounds at a time so long as the trigger only initiates a single cycling of the action."

I am on a mobile and at work so my Google powers are limited. .. If it's not found by the time I get home I'll hunt for it then.

Also according to that definition a single 'shot' does not necessarily mean a single bullet but can easily be interpreted to mean a single cycling of the action as a shot. Otherwise a shotgun could be defined as a class 3 item since each pellet could be defined as a 'shot' if it is then interchangeable with 'bullet' in the law...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Makes sense. Thank you. I don't doubt you, but I'm anxious to see that letter :)

Baked on Grease

Makes sense. Thank you. I don't doubt you, but I'm anxious to see that letter :)

Been looking and looking and looking... I can find a few forum posts (on other websites like Reddit) where people mention the same letter I talked about, but no one linking the actual damn letter. Contacted a few people who might know and/or might have saved it off on their computers. Will update when I get a response back.

Baked on Grease

FOUND IT! Or at least one that supports my supposition, if not exactly the one I recall.

http://imgur.com/a/vt2Qz

Question number 16: Can an unlicensed individual legally build or modify an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle so it has 1 trigger and 3 barrels, which would allow an operator to pull the trigger causing a round in each barrel to be fired simultaneously?

Answer: Yes, as with all Volley guns, this configuration is legal as long as there are no other offending features (i.e. length, lack of rifling in bore, automatic fire etc.) a trigger pull resulting in one shot occurring from multiple barrels would be legal. Following firing, the trigger must then be reset to fire subsequent shots.

Volley Gun eh? Also, this answer seems to support my position that 'shot' means one cycle of the action.

stealthyeliminator

FOUND IT! Or at least one that supports my supposition, if not exactly the one I recall.

Question number 16: Can an unlicensed individual legally build or modify an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle so it has 1 trigger and 3 barrels, which would allow an operator to pull the trigger causing a round in each barrel to be fired simultaneously?

Answer: Yes, as with all Volley guns, this configuration is legal as long as there are no other offending features (i.e. length, lack of rifling in bore, automatic fire etc.) a trigger pull resulting in one shot occurring from multiple barrels would be legal. Following firing, the trigger must then be reset to fire subsequent shots.

Volley Gun eh? Also, this answer seems to support my position that 'shot' means one cycle of the action.

Thank you much for the info you've provided!

sudden valley gunner

Nice! Great work on digging that up.

Primus

Good catch I appreciate you clearing it up.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

davidmcbeth

Banned

Good find...why the forum exists...

Now, lets go waste some ammo ! :banana::banana:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Duck foot volley pistol. Holster?
duckfoot2-300x132.jpg

http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/ducksfoot.html