Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Flint Township open carry arrest article.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    221

    Flint Township open carry arrest article.

    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...-real-trouble/


    A gun owner in Flint Township, Mich., has filed a lawsuit claiming he was stopped and arrested while legally openly carrying his pistol back in December. He ended up spending Christmas in jail.

    Flint Township police say the man’s gun was covered by his coat, making the arrest legal. The police dashcam video of the incident doesn’t prove either side’s story conclusively, but it does provide some additional insight.

    In the video, John David McMorris, 21, can be seen stopping and putting his hands over his head when an officer turned on his police car lights. The gun appears to be visible on his right hip in the video — and Michigan is an open carry state.

    More at link above ........

  2. #2
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...-real-trouble/


    A gun owner in Flint Township, Mich., has filed a lawsuit claiming he was stopped and arrested while legally openly carrying his pistol back in December. He ended up spending Christmas in jail.

    Flint Township police say the man’s gun was covered by his coat, making the arrest legal. The police dashcam video of the incident doesn’t prove either side’s story conclusively, but it does provide some additional insight.

    In the video, John David McMorris, 21, can be seen stopping and putting his hands over his head when an officer turned on his police car lights. The gun appears to be visible on his right hip in the video — and Michigan is an open carry state.

    More at link above ........
    Question?

    How did the good officer know he had a gun if his coat covered it???? The officer must know Ms. Chleo or something.

    This officer is an IDIOT, "I STOPPED HIM FOR HIS GUN THAT WAS COVERED BY HIS COAT".....smooth move officer.

  3. #3
    Regular Member DanM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    "I'm arresting you for carrying concealed, because I see your openly carried weapon now, and it caused me to think I remember not seeing it earlier. No, me not noticing it earlier had nothing to do with my attention probably being focused on the road in this weather as I drove past at 45 mph."

    Why isn't there a "common sense" test before you can enter or graduate from the police academy?

    Most officers are fairly intelligent but, boy, there sure are some ringers that get through. Makes me worry knowing some minority of people carrying around a badge and a gun seem to have just enough mental processing power to keep their heart beating.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

    “He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    113
    Right, I don't understand why the logical leap was "It must have been covered by your coat before" and not "I didn't notice it before." And you are going to ruin the guy's night because you may or may not have noticed when you passed him before? He is very clearly OCing now and most likely had all intentions of open carrying the whole time and even if it WAS momentary obscured by a jacket it amounts to little more than a technicality.

    It would be nice if the Concealed Carry law had a "Willfully" thrown in there to help prevent something like this. It would save a guy who's standing up at a restaurant and putting his jacket back on and maybe accidentally covers the gun. A cop could point and say "Ahhhh, I got you, you concealed your weapon! Off to jail you go."
    Last edited by jeffrey-r; 04-01-2014 at 12:32 AM.

  5. #5
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    I'm guessing the prosecution is going to use the victim's "excited utterance" apology as quoted in the linked article as justification for the "persecution" of this man.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    I'm guessing the prosecution is going to use the victim's "excited utterance" apology as quoted in the linked article as justification for the "persecution" of this man.
    Yeah, poor guy. I cringed when he was being agreeable with the cop and said "Oh, well, I'm sorry that my coat covered it." Ouch. Now you just admitted to it being covered.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Clio, Mi
    Posts
    3

    Garbage Arrest.

    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    Question?

    How did the good officer know he had a gun if his coat covered it???? The officer must know Ms. Chleo or something.

    This officer is an IDIOT, "I STOPPED HIM FOR HIS GUN THAT WAS COVERED BY HIS COAT".....smooth move officer.
    Let me see.... He was arrested because the Officer couldn't see his weapon! Hmmmm. Under what "Reasonable Cause " did he stop, and question this young Man for then. I live about 15 miles north of Flint Township. It is not illegal to walk down the road in the winter with your coat on.... This Cop was wwwaaayyy out of line with this arrest. I don't know who the Officer is, but I'm sure I probably know who it is. I worked for an Law Enforcememt Agency in the area! Yes, the young man should of kept his mouth shut, but he did nothing wrong to warrant the arrest in the first place! This officer turned around, and came back to make the arrest. GARBAGE ARREST.... No formal charges were filed? I will be real anxious to see how this turns out.... Thanx.
    Last edited by Fillinguy; 07-15-2014 at 12:30 AM.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey-r View Post
    Yeah, poor guy. I cringed when he was being agreeable with the cop and said "Oh, well, I'm sorry that my coat covered it." Ouch. Now you just admitted to it being covered.
    I love people who make trials so easy.....his only hope is to argue that we have the right to carry openly of concealed as we see fit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •