• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flint Township open carry arrest article.

alphamale

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...-that-attorney-says-has-town-in-real-trouble/

A gun owner in Flint Township, Mich., has filed a lawsuit claiming he was stopped and arrested while legally openly carrying his pistol back in December. He ended up spending Christmas in jail.

Flint Township police say the man’s gun was covered by his coat, making the arrest legal. The police dashcam video of the incident doesn’t prove either side’s story conclusively, but it does provide some additional insight.

In the video, John David McMorris, 21, can be seen stopping and putting his hands over his head when an officer turned on his police car lights. The gun appears to be visible on his right hip in the video — and Michigan is an open carry state.

More at link above ........

DocWalker

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...-that-attorney-says-has-town-in-real-trouble/

A gun owner in Flint Township, Mich., has filed a lawsuit claiming he was stopped and arrested while legally openly carrying his pistol back in December. He ended up spending Christmas in jail.

Flint Township police say the man’s gun was covered by his coat, making the arrest legal. The police dashcam video of the incident doesn’t prove either side’s story conclusively, but it does provide some additional insight.

In the video, John David McMorris, 21, can be seen stopping and putting his hands over his head when an officer turned on his police car lights. The gun appears to be visible on his right hip in the video — and Michigan is an open carry state.

More at link above ........

Question?

How did the good officer know he had a gun if his coat covered it???? The officer must know Ms. Chleo or something.

This officer is an IDIOT, "I STOPPED HIM FOR HIS GUN THAT WAS COVERED BY HIS COAT".....smooth move officer.

DanM

"I'm arresting you for carrying concealed, because I see your openly carried weapon now, and it caused me to think I remember not seeing it earlier. No, me not noticing it earlier had nothing to do with my attention probably being focused on the road in this weather as I drove past at 45 mph."

Why isn't there a "common sense" test before you can enter or graduate from the police academy?

Most officers are fairly intelligent but, boy, there sure are some ringers that get through. Makes me worry knowing some minority of people carrying around a badge and a gun seem to have just enough mental processing power to keep their heart beating.

jeffrey-r

Right, I don't understand why the logical leap was "It must have been covered by your coat before" and not "I didn't notice it before." And you are going to ruin the guy's night because you may or may not have noticed when you passed him before? He is very clearly OCing now and most likely had all intentions of open carrying the whole time and even if it WAS momentary obscured by a jacket it amounts to little more than a technicality.

It would be nice if the Concealed Carry law had a "Willfully" thrown in there to help prevent something like this. It would save a guy who's standing up at a restaurant and putting his jacket back on and maybe accidentally covers the gun. A cop could point and say "Ahhhh, I got you, you concealed your weapon! Off to jail you go."

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
I'm guessing the prosecution is going to use the victim's "excited utterance" apology as quoted in the linked article as justification for the "persecution" of this man.

jeffrey-r

I'm guessing the prosecution is going to use the victim's "excited utterance" apology as quoted in the linked article as justification for the "persecution" of this man.

Yeah, poor guy. I cringed when he was being agreeable with the cop and said "Oh, well, I'm sorry that my coat covered it." Ouch. Now you just admitted to it being covered.

Fillinguy

Garbage Arrest.

Question?

How did the good officer know he had a gun if his coat covered it???? The officer must know Ms. Chleo or something.

This officer is an IDIOT, "I STOPPED HIM FOR HIS GUN THAT WAS COVERED BY HIS COAT".....smooth move officer.

Let me see.... He was arrested because the Officer couldn't see his weapon! Hmmmm. Under what "Reasonable Cause " did he stop, and question this young Man for then. I live about 15 miles north of Flint Township. It is not illegal to walk down the road in the winter with your coat on.... This Cop was wwwaaayyy out of line with this arrest. I don't know who the Officer is, but I'm sure I probably know who it is. I worked for an Law Enforcememt Agency in the area! Yes, the young man should of kept his mouth shut, but he did nothing wrong to warrant the arrest in the first place! This officer turned around, and came back to make the arrest. GARBAGE ARREST.... No formal charges were filed? I will be real anxious to see how this turns out.... Thanx.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Yeah, poor guy. I cringed when he was being agreeable with the cop and said "Oh, well, I'm sorry that my coat covered it." Ouch. Now you just admitted to it being covered.

I love people who make trials so easy.....his only hope is to argue that we have the right to carry openly of concealed as we see fit.