Thread: new to OC

new to OC

I am 18 and looking to purchase my first handgun, i understand there are no laws for or against open carry in michigan and i live in lansing and im just wondering what i should and shouldnt do to get in trouble...i enjoy going on walks around lansing but its not the best area and like to feel protected any information would be helpful thanks!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Welcome to OCDO.

Read and understand the laws regarding OC and RKBA, particularly as to Michigan.

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=257

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=101

There are a number of good threads that have been stickied on the Michigan sub-forum - that should get you started.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Welcome Traster0013

Check out the Michigan events as well, there is a 2nd Amendment March next month in Lansing.
    http://www.secondamendmentmarch.com
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona traster0013!

Highly recommend you read the threads linked by Grapeshot, as well as reading over the laws in question yourself (law tend to change, and not always towards more Freedom).

Also, attending the event Raggs makes reference to is a great way to meet other Freedom-minded individuals (they should be easy to spot: they'll be the ones with the logical arguments and signs, as well as exercising their RKBA by OCing). Rallies, Ranges, and Lunches.

Any way that can be a "thing"? RRL = Rallies, Ranges, and Lunches?
    And I don't yet know what "FUQ" stands for.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by traster0013 View Post
    I am 18 and looking to purchase my first handgun, i understand there are no laws for or against open carry in michigan and i live in lansing and im just wondering what i should and shouldnt do to get in trouble...i enjoy going on walks around lansing but its not the best area and like to feel protected any information would be helpful thanks!
    The President of Michigan open carry is in the Lansing area. Check the FB page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/MichiganOpenCarry/
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    The President of Michigan open carry is in the Lansing area. Check the FB page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/MichiganOpenCarry/
    Yes, I do. I'm always up for some Taco Bell or something to sit down and meet a new OCer. Email me at PHofmeister@miopencarry.org

Also read our FAQ:

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/...opic,25.0.html

Particularly reply #22.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

@Traster...

Here's the skinny - avoid places like Meijer's, Kroger or anyplace that has a license to sell liquor, including the corner party store or 7-11 & even some gas stations! If you must drive some where, make sure if you are OCing to disarm PRIOR to getting in the vehicle. Here's where it gets really tricky - MI courts have ruled that ALL of the car is fair game when it comes to police (shady) ones anyway, charging someone. This means that technically a person can be charged for simply setting their holstered pistol in their trunk while getting ready to put it in their gun case after unloading it and going into transport mode WITHOUT a CPL.

To avoid this, keep your case in a easy to reach area of the trunk and avoid letting the pistol cross the boundary of the trunk. Use your weak hand to get it, that will help keep the pistol away. Once you have the case, place it on the ground (not the bumper/hood/roof/tailgate...as it is IN the car according to the courts and now you have committed a crime).

It sounds nutty (as law often is) but with practice it can be done safely & quickly. Remember it must be completely unloaded (no round in chamber/cylinder). The good thing is you can keep your mags/speed loaders with you so when you need to go back into legal OC carry mode it is pretty easy.

Take the Q or another OCer up on their offers to meet up and give you advice. It will make things much easier and comfortable for you when you are ready to start carrying. Attended one of the FREE OC seminars that MOC (Michigan Open Carry) does. Get as much practice as you can before you carry. Learning in a oh crap self defense situation is never a good idea.

Be safe and know the law inside & out before you carry! Why? Police are the only citizens that can use the defense of being ignorant of the laws and get away with it.

PS - MI law MCL 123.1102 only preempts FIREARMS. So to be safe avoid carrying a knife, as many cities have their own knife laws on the books.

I miss MI OCers and my family - but I sure don't miss some of those goofy laws back there.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 03-31-2014 at 02:27 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    @Traster...

Here's the skinny - avoid places like Meijer's, Kroger or anyplace that has a license to sell liquor, including the corner party store or 7-11 & even some gas stations! If you must drive some where, make sure if you are OCing to disarm PRIOR to getting in the vehicle. Here's where it gets really tricky - MI courts have ruled that ALL of the car is fair game when it comes to police (shady) ones anyway, charging someone. This means that technically a person can be charged for simply setting their holstered pistol in their trunk while getting ready to put it in their gun case after unloading it and going into transport mode WITHOUT a CPL.

To avoid this, keep your case in a easy to reach area of the trunk and avoid letting the pistol cross the boundary of the trunk. Use your weak hand to get it, that will help keep the pistol away. Once you have the case, place it on the ground (not the bumper/hood/roof/tailgate...as it is IN the car according to the courts and now you have committed a crime).

It sounds nutty (as law often is) but with practice it can be done safely & quickly. Remember it must be completely unloaded (no round in chamber/cylinder). The good thing is you can keep your mags/speed loaders with you so when you need to go back into legal OC carry mode it is pretty easy.

Take the Q or another OCer up on their offers to meet up and give you advice. It will make things much easier and comfortable for you when you are ready to start carrying. Attended one of the FREE OC seminars that MOC (Michigan Open Carry) does. Get as much practice as you can before you carry. Learning in a oh crap self defense situation is never a good idea.

Be safe and know the law inside & out before you carry! Why? Police are the only citizens that can use the defense of being ignorant of the laws and get away with it.

PS - MI law MCL 123.1102 only preempts FIREARMS. So to be safe avoid carrying a knife, as many cities have their own knife laws on the books.

I miss MI OCers and my family - but I sure don't miss some of those goofy laws back there.

FYI speedway gas stations, ALL have liquor licenses. regardless if they sell booze or not. they are a no go without a CPL