• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new to OC

traster0013

I am 18 and looking to purchase my first handgun, i understand there are no laws for or against open carry in michigan and i live in lansing and im just wondering what i should and shouldnt do to get in trouble...i enjoy going on walks around lansing but its not the best area and like to feel protected any information would be helpful thanks!

Rusty Young Man

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona traster0013!:)

Highly recommend you read the threads linked by Grapeshot, as well as reading over the laws in question yourself (law tend to change, and not always towards more Freedom:().

Also, attending the event Raggs makes reference to is a great way to meet other Freedom-minded individuals (they should be easy to spot: they'll be the ones with the logical arguments and signs, as well as exercising their RKBA by OCing:D). Rallies, Ranges, and Lunches.

Any way that can be a "thing"? RRL = Rallies, Ranges, and Lunches?
And I don't yet know what "FUQ" stands for.:(

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I am 18 and looking to purchase my first handgun, i understand there are no laws for or against open carry in michigan and i live in lansing and im just wondering what i should and shouldnt do to get in trouble...i enjoy going on walks around lansing but its not the best area and like to feel protected any information would be helpful thanks!
The President of Michigan open carry is in the Lansing area. Check the FB page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/MichiganOpenCarry/

FreeInAZ

@Traster...

Here's the skinny - avoid places like Meijer's, Kroger or anyplace that has a license to sell liquor, including the corner party store or 7-11 & even some gas stations! If you must drive some where, make sure if you are OCing to disarm PRIOR to getting in the vehicle. Here's where it gets really tricky - MI courts have ruled that ALL of the car is fair game when it comes to police (shady) ones anyway, charging someone. This means that technically a person can be charged for simply setting their holstered pistol in their trunk while getting ready to put it in their gun case after unloading it and going into transport mode WITHOUT a CPL.

To avoid this, keep your case in a easy to reach area of the trunk and avoid letting the pistol cross the boundary of the trunk. Use your weak hand to get it, that will help keep the pistol away. Once you have the case, place it on the ground (not the bumper/hood/roof/tailgate...as it is IN the car according to the courts and now you have committed a crime).

It sounds nutty (as law often is) but with practice it can be done safely & quickly. Remember it must be completely unloaded (no round in chamber/cylinder). The good thing is you can keep your mags/speed loaders with you so when you need to go back into legal OC carry mode it is pretty easy.

Take the Q or another OCer up on their offers to meet up and give you advice. It will make things much easier and comfortable for you when you are ready to start carrying. Attended one of the FREE OC seminars that MOC (Michigan Open Carry) does. Get as much practice as you can before you carry. Learning in a oh crap self defense situation is never a good idea.

Be safe and know the law inside & out before you carry! Why? Police are the only citizens that can use the defense of being ignorant of the laws and get away with it. :confused:

PS - MI law MCL 123.1102 only preempts FIREARMS. So to be safe avoid carrying a knife, as many cities have their own knife laws on the books.

I miss MI OCers and my family - but I sure don't miss some of those goofy laws back there.

Last edited:

SD40VE

@Traster...

Here's the skinny - avoid places like Meijer's, Kroger or anyplace that has a license to sell liquor, including the corner party store or 7-11 & even some gas stations! If you must drive some where, make sure if you are OCing to disarm PRIOR to getting in the vehicle. Here's where it gets really tricky - MI courts have ruled that ALL of the car is fair game when it comes to police (shady) ones anyway, charging someone. This means that technically a person can be charged for simply setting their holstered pistol in their trunk while getting ready to put it in their gun case after unloading it and going into transport mode WITHOUT a CPL.

To avoid this, keep your case in a easy to reach area of the trunk and avoid letting the pistol cross the boundary of the trunk. Use your weak hand to get it, that will help keep the pistol away. Once you have the case, place it on the ground (not the bumper/hood/roof/tailgate...as it is IN the car according to the courts and now you have committed a crime).

It sounds nutty (as law often is) but with practice it can be done safely & quickly. Remember it must be completely unloaded (no round in chamber/cylinder). The good thing is you can keep your mags/speed loaders with you so when you need to go back into legal OC carry mode it is pretty easy.

Take the Q or another OCer up on their offers to meet up and give you advice. It will make things much easier and comfortable for you when you are ready to start carrying. Attended one of the FREE OC seminars that MOC (Michigan Open Carry) does. Get as much practice as you can before you carry. Learning in a oh crap self defense situation is never a good idea.

Be safe and know the law inside & out before you carry! Why? Police are the only citizens that can use the defense of being ignorant of the laws and get away with it. :confused:

PS - MI law MCL 123.1102 only preempts FIREARMS. So to be safe avoid carrying a knife, as many cities have their own knife laws on the books.

I miss MI OCers and my family - but I sure don't miss some of those goofy laws back there.

FYI speedway gas stations, ALL have liquor licenses. regardless if they sell booze or not. they are a no go without a CPL