Thread: Carrying on private property and

Carrying on private property and

Howdy, I don't post much on here, but I have been searching high and low for an answer to a legal question.

I have heard that the "no gun" signs on a business mean that you have to be asked to leave the property, and if you refuse only after that can the authorities be involved. Can someone hunt down or know the exact law that states this? Or is it not true? Also, if on private property, such as in an individuals home / land / apartment, does the same law apply?
    Last edited by creede55; 03-29-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by creede55 View Post
    Howdy, I don't post much on here, but I have been searching high and low for an answer to a legal question.

I have heard that the "no gun" signs on a business mean that you have to be asked to leave the property, and if you refuse only after that can the authorities be involved. Can someone hunt down or know the exact law that states this? Or is it not true? Also, if on private property, such as in an individuals home / land / apartment, does the same law apply?
    Private property is private property regardless if it is commercial or residential. The property owner still has the right to ask you to leave for whatever reason they want. You do not have to post a sign at your residence.

Here is the law you requested:

Quote Originally Posted by Title 21, Section 1290.22, Paragraph D
    The carrying of a concealed or unconcealed firearm by a person who has been issued a handgun license on property that has signs prohibiting the carrying of firearms shall not be deemed a criminal act but may subject the person to being denied entrance onto the property or removed from the property. If the person refuses to leave the property and a peace officer is summoned, the person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00).
    Link
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be accepted as legal advice