• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying on private property and

creede55

Howdy, I don't post much on here, but I have been searching high and low for an answer to a legal question.

I have heard that the "no gun" signs on a business mean that you have to be asked to leave the property, and if you refuse only after that can the authorities be involved. Can someone hunt down or know the exact law that states this? Or is it not true? Also, if on private property, such as in an individuals home / land / apartment, does the same law apply?

Last edited:

hrdware

Howdy, I don't post much on here, but I have been searching high and low for an answer to a legal question.

I have heard that the "no gun" signs on a business mean that you have to be asked to leave the property, and if you refuse only after that can the authorities be involved. Can someone hunt down or know the exact law that states this? Or is it not true? Also, if on private property, such as in an individuals home / land / apartment, does the same law apply?

Private property is private property regardless if it is commercial or residential. The property owner still has the right to ask you to leave for whatever reason they want. You do not have to post a sign at your residence.

Here is the law you requested:

Title 21 said:
The carrying of a concealed or unconcealed firearm by a person who has been issued a handgun license on property that has signs prohibiting the carrying of firearms shall not be deemed a criminal act but may subject the person to being denied entrance onto the property or removed from the property. If the person refuses to leave the property and a peace officer is summoned, the person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00).

Link