• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No jury trial for these guys ... SCOTUS previously said no in other cases

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/03/29/6279355/drone-strikers-say-the-government.html

The government has succeeded so far in persuading two judges to deny protesters jury trials, something the defendants contend deprives them of their Sixth Amendment rights and the chance to have their civil disobedience judged by their peers instead of the third branch of the federal government – the very establishment they are targeting.
Wagner argues, as do his assistant prosecutors in court, that the U.S. Supreme Court has made clear that defendants facing six months or less time in prison have no right to be judged by a jury

Yup, I recall SCOTUS ruling -- no jury trial is due if it is punishable 6 mos. or less....I don't recall their reasoning, but was a BS reason.

Depend on courts to secure your rights (any rights) and you are being foolish. Only the 2nd amendment & your RKBA can do that.

Last edited:

Primus

One protestor rode on the hood of a car for 100 feet before sliding off..... nice.

Blocking the road and when a bread truck is trying to get to work they say "you'll just deliver late". He asks what happens when he gets fires? No response.

If they want a trial by jury so be it. Let the jury hear the antics they are up to. The prosecution already made it clear they aren't going to jail them over it. Just a big publicity stunt.

Just hope the jury doesn't consist of anyone who gets stuck in traffic when they block the road. Might backfire.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

davidmcbeth

Banned
One protestor rode on the hood of a car for 100 feet before sliding off..... nice.

Blocking the road and when a bread truck is trying to get to work they say "you'll just deliver late". He asks what happens when he gets fires? No response.

If they want a trial by jury so be it. Let the jury hear the antics they are up to. The prosecution already made it clear they aren't going to jail them over it. Just a big publicity stunt.

Just hope the jury doesn't consist of anyone who gets stuck in traffic when they block the road. Might backfire.

There won't be any jury. Charged with a crime and no jury. That's the issue. That the state itself can arrest and convict ... I wonder what the verdict will be?

sudden valley gunner

Oh I see so no jury for his own protection.:rolleyes:

onus

The nice thing about being a cop is

# 1 - Cops rarely have to worry about juries because they have qualified immunity and indemnification.

#2 - The DA is just another arm of the police department and they RARELY ever bring criminal charges against cops (their co-workers and co-conspirators)

So for cops this is just a silly, trivial matter. However, for the rest of us lower class, unprotected citizens, we have to worry about justice so we get concerned when we are denied our right to a jury trial because we have a well deserved distrust of judges (who are just another arm of the DA and police)

Last edited:

Primus

There won't be any jury. Charged with a crime and no jury. That's the issue. That the state itself can arrest and convict ... I wonder what the verdict will be?

I agree and like I said they should have a jury trial. Let them have it. But not sure of they'd like the results if what that article said was true.

There's protesting and then there's causing problems. They are protesting surveillance drones in a different country. That's cool. That's their right to shout and yell and protest all they want. Make all kinds of cool pretty neon no drone signs.

But riding on peoples hoods and blocking traffic is not cool. The bread man clearly doesn't operate the drones. He.... delivers bread. But he'll suffer and be affected in some way. Makes sense.

Again let them have a jury. But if they are getting q jury then let them get jail if convicted. Currently the DA has made it clear no jail time is on the table. They have been accommodating. So let them have their jury, but have the whole deal. Then maybe they would stand on the correct side of the road and protest.

countryclubjoe

The nice thing about being a cop is

# 1 - Cops rarely have to worry about juries because they have qualified immunity and indemnification.

#2 - The DA is just another arm of the police department and they RARELY ever bring criminal charges against cops (their co-workers and co-conspirators)

So for cops this is just a silly, trivial matter. However, for the rest of us lower class, unprotected citizens, we have to worry about justice so we get concerned when we are denied our right to a jury trial because we have a well deserved distrust of judges (who are just another arm of the DA and police)

They do not have qualified immunity from personal suits under USCA 42 section 1983... Where rights count... Proceed via Federal Court...
Evil man only strive when good man stand aside and look away... Make evil pay, make good man stand up and be rewarded. USCA 42 Section 1983 is the good mans answer to evil man.
Best regards.

CCJ

davidmcbeth

Banned
soon the gov't will make a disqualifying crime a 6 mos. or less confinement crime .. then we'll lose our RKBA just from what the gov't decides by itself.