Thread: Double Open Carry/Double Carry?

Double Open Carry/Double Carry?

I have never really read or heard much anything either way about this.

But may a person in an OC state carry two pistols?

For instance the way a cowboy action shooter might have two revolvers and holsters.

I'm not thinking too much about the actual pro's and con's of the issue, just whether it is something that is done.

Would having two holstered polymer handguns present any legal issues?

Does it make a person more likely to be stopped by an LEO?
    Last edited by DanNabis; 03-30-2014 at 07:43 PM.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanNabis View Post

For instance the way a cowboy action shooter might have two revolvers and holsters.

I'm not thinking too much about the actual pro's and con's of the issue, just whether it is something that is done.

It's gonna be state by state. But I'm pretty sure there's been some members here open carry two. Could be wrong but seem to remember that.

As far as whether or not a Leo would be more likely to stop you, I doubt it. They'll probably either stop you or not depending on what kind of officer they are. Unless they were just interested in the double carry and wanted to chat
    Advocate freedom please

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    In my state it would be perfectly legal but I don't recall ever having seen this. With the amount of things many people carry in their pockets and on their belts, my guess is they probably don't want an extra handgun hanging on their hip. Maybe a small backup in a concealed holster arrangement but that is probably the extent of it. It is my belief that the less "outrageous" your rig is (as in other people's minds), the less chance you're going to stir up anything or create a situation that results in a MWAG call. And by outrageous I mean rigs that scream "look at my gun". I could be wrong about this but I suspect there is a measure of truth to it.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Legal in Colorado. I've only done this once, during Frontier Days, because I have a replica .44 cap and ball revolver. I also OC'd my semi-auto. Couple of curious glances, but that's about it.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

No restrictions in Wis. carry 10 if one wants. I carried my duty weapon and a BUG for over 30 years.

I now carry one if I thought the situation might warrant it I could go back.

But I find one to be enough now personal choice.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Well,,,

A former forum poster named CmdrIceMan
    Wore a bullet proof vest
    OCd two FNP45s
    rode his bicycle all over Highland Park and Detroit
    got to meet a lot of cops

Thread: List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

by cmdr_iceman71

Replies6,061Views502,595

Sticky: Cranked out 31.5 miles on my bicycle this evening...

Cranked out 31.5 miles on my bicycle this evening while dual OCing through Detroit and Highland Park. Many DPD LEOs saw me, I had no problems. Received countless gawks and “Oh sh!t he got two!” For...

Last edited by 1245A Defender; 03-31-2014 at 07:06 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Excellent

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    In my state it would be perfectly legal but I don't recall ever having seen this. With the amount of things many people carry in their pockets and on their belts, my guess is they probably don't want an extra handgun hanging on their hip. Maybe a small backup in a concealed holster arrangement but that is probably the extent of it. It is my belief that the less "outrageous" your rig is (as in other people's minds), the less chance you're going to stir up anything or create a situation that results in a MWAG call. And by outrageous I mean rigs that scream "look at my gun". I could be wrong about this but I suspect there is a measure of truth to it.
    SouthernBoy, This was a great response. You said a lot in a few words. Well Done!!

I've carried two on occasion. Once I carried 4, 2 open, 2 concealed. Average around here for deer season. Got stopped, made the news, got featured on TTAG. 2 were long guns, 2 handguns concealed that they never knew about. Will they stop you? Maybe, but only if they're a-holes. You can tell which ones are aholes by the way they insist a solid blaze orange jacket is camoflage, a blaze hat is camoflage, and if they try to hit you with a car. Especially the last part

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk and glitchy Windows 8

Do you always live in fear of other people's fear?

Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    Do you always live in fear of other people's fear?

No sir, I do not. My comment was meant for people who may live in places where MWAG calls are not infrequent. I such cases, being discreet is the better move. As for myself, I don't carry to impress or scare or raise eyebrows or anything of the sort. I prefer discretion because in my opinion, that is the more preferred choice.

BTW, I don't have a clue how you came up with what you wrote from what I wrote.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

No sir, I do not. My comment was meant for people who may live in places where MWAG calls are not infrequent. I such cases, being discreet is the better move. As for myself, I don't carry to impress or scare or raise eyebrows or anything of the sort. I prefer discretion because in my opinion, that is the more preferred choice.

Mr. wimwag has, apparently, some pent-up prepubescent angst that he is in need of releasing. You seem to be another notch in his gunbelt.

Anyway, I as well have never seen to OCd firearms (hunting don't count). I would not OC two firearms either. My "bug" is a knife because it is a more versatile tool than a single purpose pistol.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

One day, I will have a matching pair of 1911s (haven't decided the brand), and on that day I will dual-OC.

I can't see doing it regularly, but I also can't see not doing it at least once.

Not a problem, here in TN. I have twice double open carried at a National Park. There were plenty of people around and no MWAGs.

Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.
    Open means open...

Whenever I carry revolvers I always carry two. Never has been a problem so far.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    One day, I will have a matching pair of 1911s (haven't decided the brand), and on that day I will dual-OC.

I can't see doing it regularly, but I also can't see not doing it at least once.
    Make sure you get those chrome/nickel plated one that are real shinny with a lot of ingraving and pearl handles so they really stand out. You can bedazzle them also...lol

Quote Originally Posted by DanNabis View Post

Hi DanNabis

This is probably not a good idea in our Anti state of NJ.
    Regards.
    CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

.. and if they try to hit you with a car. Especially the last part
    This made me laugh!! Very interesting experience you had there.

Thanks for the responses.

I thought it might be far less common to carry two.

I dunno that I would want to carry two, but it'd be great to know you can.
    It really seems to make you need to dig in to tons and tons of laws for each location in order to find answers.

Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    Hi DanNabis

This is probably not a good idea in our Anti state of NJ.
    Regards.
    CCJ

Thanks Joe,

I'll make sure to only OC one at a time here.. *goofy grin*

Not much seems like a good idea in NJ.
    I don't OC currently.
    After reading some of the horror stories, I feel lucky I've gone unharassed thus far, even just going to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Whenever I carry revolvers I always carry two. Never has been a problem so far.
    Thank you WalkingWolf.

This is precisely what I felt might warrant wearing two.

In my mind something about double revolvers is embedded like a cultural legacy.

If the chimp thinks it is free, you cannot free the chimp.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Mr. wimwag has, apparently, some pent-up prepubescent angst that he is in need of releasing. You seem to be another notch in his gunbelt.

Anyway, I as well have never seen to OCd firearms (hunting don't count). I would not OC two firearms either. My "bug" is a knife because it is a more versatile tool than a single purpose pistol.

You are entitled to your opinion. Even though its stupid and wrong.

I responded to him that way because I was wondering how scared you have to be of someone calling 911 and screeching OMG HE HAS A GUN to forfeit a right and how often he forfeits them based on the illogical assumption that someone will exhibit a special brand of illogical and unfounded fear based on reruns of Law & Order. Hiding your safely and lawfully carried firearm because "this could be the one" is a bit like an addiction to gambling. Every time could be the time. Keep calm and carry on.

carry dual 1911s with sleeve tatooes in a tank top with a oversized cross necklace like Brantley Gilbert in this recent music video...

Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 04-02-2014 at 01:12 AM.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    carry dual 1911s with sleeve tatooes in a tank top with a oversized cross necklace like Brantley Gilbert in this recent music video...
    I could never be that cool.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    Make sure you get those chrome/nickel plated one that are real shinny with a lot of ingraving and pearl handles so they really stand out. You can bedazzle them also...lol
    That's my plan... except for the chrome/nickel plated and bedazzled parts. Stainless in matte finish is shiny enough for me.

I'm saving up between tuition and living expenditures to buy myself another SA 1911-A1 to go with the one I have.

I know there were at least TWO other members that dual OC: one is a fellow desert-dweller, and the other I have not seen around here for a while. Hope he's alright...
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

I responded to him that way because I was wondering how scared you have to be of someone calling 911 and screeching OMG HE HAS A GUN to forfeit a right and how often he forfeits them based on the illogical assumption that someone will exhibit a special brand of illogical and unfounded fear based on reruns of Law & Order. Hiding your safely and lawfully carried firearm because "this could be the one" is a bit like an addiction to gambling. Every time could be the time. Keep calm and carry on.
    So far the count is zero. Remember, I live in Virginia.

America First!