• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Double Open Carry/Double Carry?

DanNabis

I have never really read or heard much anything either way about this.

But may a person in an OC state carry two pistols?

For instance the way a cowboy action shooter might have two revolvers and holsters.

I'm not thinking too much about the actual pro's and con's of the issue, just whether it is something that is done.

Would having two holstered polymer handguns present any legal issues?

Does it make a person more likely to be stopped by an LEO?

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

For instance the way a cowboy action shooter might have two revolvers and holsters.

I'm not thinking too much about the actual pro's and con's of the issue, just whether it is something that is done.

It's gonna be state by state. But I'm pretty sure there's been some members here open carry two. Could be wrong but seem to remember that.

As far as whether or not a Leo would be more likely to stop you, I doubt it. They'll probably either stop you or not depending on what kind of officer they are. Unless they were just interested in the double carry and wanted to chat

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
In my state it would be perfectly legal but I don't recall ever having seen this. With the amount of things many people carry in their pockets and on their belts, my guess is they probably don't want an extra handgun hanging on their hip. Maybe a small backup in a concealed holster arrangement but that is probably the extent of it. It is my belief that the less "outrageous" your rig is (as in other people's minds), the less chance you're going to stir up anything or create a situation that results in a MWAG call. And by outrageous I mean rigs that scream "look at my gun". I could be wrong about this but I suspect there is a measure of truth to it.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Legal in Colorado. I've only done this once, during Frontier Days, because I have a replica .44 cap and ball revolver. I also OC'd my semi-auto. Couple of curious glances, but that's about it.

Firearms Iinstuctor

No restrictions in Wis. carry 10 if one wants. I carried my duty weapon and a BUG for over 30 years.

I now carry one if I thought the situation might warrant it I could go back.

But I find one to be enough now personal choice.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

A former forum poster named CmdrIceMan
Wore a bullet proof vest
OCd two FNP45s
rode his bicycle all over Highland Park and Detroit
got to meet a lot of cops

[h=2]Thread: List Your Open Carry Experiences Here[/h]by cmdr_iceman71

Replies6,061Views502,595​

[h=3]Sticky: Cranked out 31.5 miles on my bicycle this evening...[/h]
Cranked out 31.5 miles on my bicycle this evening while dual OCing through Detroit and Highland Park. Many DPD LEOs saw me, I had no problems. Received countless gawks and “Oh sh!t he got two!” For...​

Last edited:

fjpro2a

Excellent

In my state it would be perfectly legal but I don't recall ever having seen this. With the amount of things many people carry in their pockets and on their belts, my guess is they probably don't want an extra handgun hanging on their hip. Maybe a small backup in a concealed holster arrangement but that is probably the extent of it. It is my belief that the less "outrageous" your rig is (as in other people's minds), the less chance you're going to stir up anything or create a situation that results in a MWAG call. And by outrageous I mean rigs that scream "look at my gun". I could be wrong about this but I suspect there is a measure of truth to it.

SouthernBoy, This was a great response. You said a lot in a few words. Well Done!!

wimwag

I've carried two on occasion. Once I carried 4, 2 open, 2 concealed. Average around here for deer season. Got stopped, made the news, got featured on TTAG. 2 were long guns, 2 handguns concealed that they never knew about. Will they stop you? Maybe, but only if they're a-holes. You can tell which ones are aholes by the way they insist a solid blaze orange jacket is camoflage, a blaze hat is camoflage, and if they try to hit you with a car. Especially the last part

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk and glitchy Windows 8

wimwag

Do you always live in fear of other people's fear?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Do you always live in fear of other people's fear?

No sir, I do not. My comment was meant for people who may live in places where MWAG calls are not infrequent. I such cases, being discreet is the better move. As for myself, I don't carry to impress or scare or raise eyebrows or anything of the sort. I prefer discretion because in my opinion, that is the more preferred choice.

BTW, I don't have a clue how you came up with what you wrote from what I wrote.

OC for ME

No sir, I do not. My comment was meant for people who may live in places where MWAG calls are not infrequent. I such cases, being discreet is the better move. As for myself, I don't carry to impress or scare or raise eyebrows or anything of the sort. I prefer discretion because in my opinion, that is the more preferred choice.

Mr. wimwag has, apparently, some pent-up prepubescent angst that he is in need of releasing. You seem to be another notch in his gunbelt.

Anyway, I as well have never seen to OCd firearms (hunting don't count). I would not OC two firearms either. My "bug" is a knife because it is a more versatile tool than a single purpose pistol.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
One day, I will have a matching pair of 1911s (haven't decided the brand), and on that day I will dual-OC.

I can't see doing it regularly, but I also can't see not doing it at least once. ;)

independence

Not a problem, here in TN. I have twice double open carried at a National Park. There were plenty of people around and no MWAGs.

Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.

DocWalker

One day, I will have a matching pair of 1911s (haven't decided the brand), and on that day I will dual-OC.

I can't see doing it regularly, but I also can't see not doing it at least once. ;)

Make sure you get those chrome/nickel plated one that are real shinny with a lot of ingraving and pearl handles so they really stand out. You can bedazzle them also...lol

countryclubjoe

Hi DanNabis

This is probably not a good idea in our Anti state of NJ.
Regards.
CCJ

DanNabis

.. and if they try to hit you with a car. Especially the last part

This made me laugh!! Very interesting experience you had there.

Thanks for the responses.

I thought it might be far less common to carry two.

I dunno that I would want to carry two, but it'd be great to know you can.
It really seems to make you need to dig in to tons and tons of laws for each location in order to find answers.

DanNabis

Hi DanNabis

This is probably not a good idea in our Anti state of NJ.
Regards.
CCJ

Thanks Joe,

I'll make sure to only OC one at a time here.. *goofy grin*

Not much seems like a good idea in NJ.
I don't OC currently.
After reading some of the horror stories, I feel lucky I've gone unharassed thus far, even just going to the range.

wimwag

If the chimp thinks it is free, you cannot free the chimp.