Thread: Registered Nurse speaks out against gun control

Registered Nurse speaks out against gun control

Letter to the Editor [of the Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association]

Dear Editor:

This letter is in response to the editorial, “An Unanticipated Journey: Barriers to Effective Gun Control in the United States” (Stein, 2013). Dr. Stein’s editorial about effective gun control saddens me as a nurse, a citizen, and National Rifle Association member. I specifically want to comment about her tone and assumptions in the editorial.

You may find the full text of her letter, here.

I found her letter to be quite comprehensive. I disagreed with her third point, however.

Her's: "I don’t believe there should be a medical registry of mentally ill persons who should not be able to legally purchase firearm, because again, if outlawed, someone who wants a firearm will purchase it illegally."

I believe the reason should be that any and all such registries have been abused, and when the abuse involves one's basic Constitutional rights, egregious harm results, one which the vast majority of our population does not have either the time or resources to fight through the courts. I believe the number one responsibility of our elected officials is to protect the people, and the absolute best way they can do that is by respecting and protecting their inalienable rights and freedoms, only a few of which have been codified in our Constitution.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

It does kind of raise a valid point though:
    With no such registry, there is no registry for government officials to abuse. Given a choice between having a registry that you KNOW someone will eventually abuse and no registry at all, can you blame someone for supporting no registry at all?
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Banned
    I don’t think I need a machine gun (which is illegal) for protection ...from link

She's an idiot ....

Agreed, that all government-held registries are subject to being abused, as witness many of our veterans having their rights infringed as a result of VA findings. The question remains; how, without keeping some form of registry of mentally ill persons, are you going to keep weaponry out of their hands? And what would be the criteria for restoring their rights?

Am I in favor of such a registry? NO. But there is a problem there that desperately needs a solution; I just don't know what that solution is. Do any of you have any ideas on this?
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    Agreed, that all government-held registries are subject to being abused, as witness many of our veterans having their rights infringed as a result of VA findings. The question remains; how, without keeping some form of registry of mentally ill persons, are you going to keep weaponry out of their hands? And what would be the criteria for restoring their rights?

Am I in favor of such a registry? NO. But there is a problem there that desperately needs a solution; I just don't know what that solution is. Do any of you have any ideas on this?
    Build your own gun

solution ?

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post

No solution is required. The state must only intercede after a unlawful act occurs. Minority Report type preemptive law enforcement must not occur.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    No solution is required. The state must only intercede after a unlawful act occurs. Minority Report type preemptive law enforcement must not occur.
    +1

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    +1
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)