• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Registered Nurse speaks out against gun control

since9

Campaign Veteran
Letter to the Editor [of the Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association]

Dear Editor:

This letter is in response to the editorial, “An Unanticipated Journey: Barriers to Effective Gun Control in the United States” (Stein, 2013). Dr. Stein’s editorial about effective gun control saddens me as a nurse, a citizen, and National Rifle Association member. I specifically want to comment about her tone and assumptions in the editorial.

You may find the full text of her letter, here.

I found her letter to be quite comprehensive. I disagreed with her third point, however.

Her's: "I don’t believe there should be a medical registry of mentally ill persons who should not be able to legally purchase firearm, because again, if outlawed, someone who wants a firearm will purchase it illegally."

I believe the reason should be that any and all such registries have been abused, and when the abuse involves one's basic Constitutional rights, egregious harm results, one which the vast majority of our population does not have either the time or resources to fight through the courts. I believe the number one responsibility of our elected officials is to protect the people, and the absolute best way they can do that is by respecting and protecting their inalienable rights and freedoms, only a few of which have been codified in our Constitution.

Rusty Young Man

It does kind of raise a valid point though:
With no such registry, there is no registry for government officials to abuse. Given a choice between having a registry that you KNOW someone will eventually abuse and no registry at all, can you blame someone for supporting no registry at all?

SFCRetired

Agreed, that all government-held registries are subject to being abused, as witness many of our veterans having their rights infringed as a result of VA findings. The question remains; how, without keeping some form of registry of mentally ill persons, are you going to keep weaponry out of their hands? And what would be the criteria for restoring their rights?

Am I in favor of such a registry? NO. But there is a problem there that desperately needs a solution; I just don't know what that solution is. Do any of you have any ideas on this?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Agreed, that all government-held registries are subject to being abused, as witness many of our veterans having their rights infringed as a result of VA findings. The question remains; how, without keeping some form of registry of mentally ill persons, are you going to keep weaponry out of their hands? And what would be the criteria for restoring their rights?

Am I in favor of such a registry? NO. But there is a problem there that desperately needs a solution; I just don't know what that solution is. Do any of you have any ideas on this?

Build your own gun

solution ?

OC for ME

No solution is required. The state must only intercede after a unlawful act occurs. Minority Report type preemptive law enforcement must not occur.