• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry on bicycles.

Primus

If people are unwilling to ride a bike and go to court for a fight, all this talk about mounting up and earning our freedom someday if someone else starts it for us must be, fantasy?

Well lead the way. Get on a bike and come ride down. Take lots of photos and be the "test case".

Otherwise more internet bravado.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
If people are unwilling to ride a bike and go to court for a fight, all this talk about mounting up and earning our freedom someday if someone else starts it for us must be, fantasy?

Who ever wants to try this, needs deep pockets. Remember, we're not talking about a slap on the wrist. You're going to need funding to take it all the way, if necessary. Otherwise, someone might get stuck with a felony record.

RyNinDaCleM

Thought this might help:

MC: 257.79

MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949

257.79 “Vehicle” defined.
Sec. 79.

“Vehicle” means every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices exclusively moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks and except, only for the purpose of titling and registration under this act, a mobile home as defined in section 2 of the mobile home commission act, Act No. 96 of the Public Acts of 1987, being section 125.2302 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949 ;-- Am. 1976, Act 439, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 1977 ;-- Am. 1978, Act 568, Eff. Jan. 6, 1979 ;-- Am. 1992, Act 134, Eff. Oct. 1, 1992

One thing I have not seen anyone comment on is the fact that a bicycle (as long as it has no motor) is "exclusively moved by human power"
Does that exclude it from the definition of a vehicle?

22Luke36

Lol. Legal gun owners always talk about getting their rights back someday in a revolution, but you're too ***** to ride a bike without permission.

You don't ask for freedom, you take it.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
ON side note Galco shoulder rig for bicycle XDM .40 with spare mags.... tends to stay put and not flop around when properly used....

I am in Washington State and we have similar laws. If you get in/on a vehicle, you are considered "concealed". Unlicensed(free) Open Carriers are required to unload before entering a vehicle. I find this excessive and unnecessary handling of the weapon an invitation to disaster. We are attempting to change this. That said, I open carry ALL the time and I have the required "permission" slip. In the car, on the motorcycle, on the bicycle, in the kayaks, all the time. I am using a fobus holster for my CZ EDC and have not had any difficulty carrying or drawing my weapon. Yes, I did practice from a moving motorcycle and bicycle, it works.

I get it! There is no safe assumption with firearms laws ;)

I find it is not the actual law, but the human interpretation of it. Two LEOs will look at it two ways. It is a roll of the dice,mate. Those few "bad apples" look like all the rest and may "interpret" the law as they see fit.

I have one of these VV

22Luke36

I honestly find a genuine and almost complete sense of satisfaction when someone has an ND because of such a law. My only hope is that some innocent is injured but not killed as a result of laws they probably supported.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I honestly find a genuine and almost complete sense of satisfaction when someone has an ND because of such a law. My only hope is that some innocent is injured but not killed as a result of laws they probably supported.

The problem with that, those in "charge" will blame the person handling the weapon, and not the circumstances that caused the ND.