• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Urban Myth - Hands & Feet Considered Deadly

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Orchestrated fighting which a lot of the martial arts have become doesn't impress me a lot.

There is a reason martial arts never really caught on here.

WEAPONS.
The underlying reason behind Kali/Eskrima was to avoid the restriction against locals from praticing/learning self-defense techniques. Those restrictions still exist today, but are accomplished in different ways.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskrima

I have found it useful in maintaining hand/eye coordination and fast muscle response. It is not an end-all solution nor my first choice in self-defense.

Last edited:

Baked on Grease

Completed a single level of training... so getting a basic white belt forces you to register yourself as a deadly weapon?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

wimwag

Completed a single level of training... so getting a basic white belt forces you to register yourself as a deadly weapon?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Maybe if you start out with no belt. Some systems still forgo the white belt or equivalent kyu and award a belt upon completion of the first test.

My sensei tells overly eager students this: a belt is just a piece of cloth that goes around your waist.

Primus

Maybe if you start out with no belt. Some systems still forgo the white belt or equivalent kyu and award a belt upon completion of the first test.

My sensei tells overly eager students this: a belt is just a piece of cloth that goes around your waist.

Or something you grab someone by when you stab them in the back with a knife.

Or more importantly something that keeps my holster and gun from falling off my waist.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Firearms Iinstuctor

After training is several different fighting styles I decided being armed and training with arms was a lot surer bet.

Being able to punch, kick, use one knees and elbows, wrestle are good skills and provides some exercise I maintain them to this day.

But being armed with just about any decent weapon or improvised weapon and have some good skills in using it gives one a huge advantage.