• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oh Crap App ... cop says holding phone could get u shot

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Oh-Crap-App-Designed-to-Help-Drivers-Being-Pulled-Over-253070091.html

Rehkemper said that file could become valuable evidence if a user wants to fight any charges.

"That initial interaction is documented and is recorded so it's not a matter of what somebody remembers, or he said, she said," said Rehkemper.

After seeing the app for himself, Linn County Sheriff Brian Gardner had some concerns.

The sheriff said during traffic stops, using the program could put approaching officers on edge seeing as they might mistake a phone for a weapon.

Nice to understand that cops cannot tell the difference between a phone and a gun. Phone-gun!

Of course the app could be used when meeting cops for OCing too...it stores the audio elsewhere

onus

Many people have already been shot for holding cell phones. Remember, at the end of the day, an officer has a right to go home to his family.

OC for ME

"If it stops you from being intoxicated and driving, I'm certainly in favor of it. If it tells you how to be intoxicated and drive, and get away with it, there may be some concern there," Gardner said. "It's cute if nothing else."
Time to get a new sheriff. It seems that the good sheriff either can read, can't understand, or both. Does the app "tell" the user how to drink and drive and then get away with it?

Or, is he peeved that there are 4000+ more Iowans who are now knowing their rights a little better, and cops won't get away with misremembering the events, in their reports, as the events actually occurred?

Hmm...

Jeff. State

Banned
Any "good" cop can show you pictures of Iphones with a gun built into them as well as Nerf Guns and Super Soakers that are real guns as well.

DANGER is everywhere, and if they "perceive" a weapon where none exists, that is all that is needed for use of lethal force.

WalkingWolf

And never play a video game in the presence of a police officer, we now know that is justification for shooting a teenager in their own home.

Tucker6900

Sheriff Gardener is notorious for stupid comments like this. He was also one of the many Sheriffs in Iowa that opposed shall issue and still opposes Constitutional carry. He gots to go.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk