Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relocating to Henderson

Relocating to Henderson

I'm relocating to Henderson within the next 9 months to semi-retire.

I've never carried at all, I live in Illinois and I'm waiting on my CCW here. But I'm interested in open carry, mostly because I'm a strong Second Amendment advocate.

I gather there's a strong OC community in the area, which would be great to be involved in.

Do you guys meet up?

And of course I'd never turn down business opportunities with like minded people (I worked in IT)!

Congrats on the retirement.

Yes we do meet up. If you look in the Nevada Events forum you will see events being planned from time to time. There was just a meeting on saturday that I unfortunately was not able to attend. From what I can see there are on average 2 meet ups a month. I hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLovell View Post
    I'm relocating to Henderson within the next 9 months to semi-retire.

I've never carried at all, I live in Illinois and I'm waiting on my CCW here. But I'm interested in open carry, mostly because I'm a strong Second Amendment advocate.

I gather there's a strong OC community in the area, which would be great to be involved in.

Do you guys meet up?

And of course I'd never turn down business opportunities with like minded people (I worked in IT)!
    We certainly welcome another strong supporter of OC here in NV. We don't hold it against you for having a CCW either as many OC'ers have them here as well. Talk to MAC702 when you get here if you want to get your permission slip in NV.

There is the occasional meet up for lunch down here in the sharp end of the state. A bunch just got together at Famous Dave's BBQ for dinner I think. We've had a picnic or two also.

Look forward to you getting here to the land of the free.

TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

Welcome, good choice! Yes, there's a lot of us folks that get together occasionally. I'm always happy to meetup with a fellow OC'r for a get together (I have no friends here, boo hoo hoo).

I moved from CA to Henderson recently and I'm quite happy to live in freedom! Welcome!

My husband and I moved from California a year ago where it is virtually impossible to get a ccw, like it was in Illinois. We went to a meet up this past weekend and it was our first time meeting others who OC and it was great. We just started carrying recently because we were going to get our ccw and just do that but after joining this forum I realized that OC is better except the few locations that don't allow it.

It is great to be in a state with freedom to enjoy your firearms and no magazine limits are a plus

Welcome!

There is a great online community for Nevada on this website, go through and read all about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Barker View Post
    Congrats on the retirement.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Barker View Post
    Yes we do meet up. If you look in the Nevada Events forum you will see events being planned from time to time. There was just a meeting on saturday that I unfortunately was not able to attend. From what I can see there are on average 2 meet ups a month. I hope this helps!
    Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Guy View Post
    We certainly welcome another strong supporter of OC here in NV. We don't hold it against you for having a CCW either as many OC'ers have them here as well. Talk to MAC702 when you get here if you want to get your permission slip in NV.
    Yes, I certainly do want to get the CCW when I'm there. Not because I plan to conceal carry a lot (I'd prefer to open carry), just I want to stay legal at all times. You never know when you might want to throw a coat on, take it off, etc... etc..

And I'm not short of a few dollars to get the training/permit. Reading around on here some peeps have to make the financial consideration, which sucks. In an ideal world everyone who can carry a gun, should be able to conceal without a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by garand_guy View Post
    Welcome, good choice! Yes, there's a lot of us folks that get together occasionally. I'm always happy to meetup with a fellow OC'r for a get together (I have no friends here, boo hoo hoo).

I moved from CA to Henderson recently and I'm quite happy to live in freedom! Welcome!
    It would be good, when I get there, to get together with people OC-ing. Calm the nerves, as I've never done it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Craftymommy View Post
    My husband and I moved from California a year ago where it is virtually impossible to get a ccw, like it was in Illinois. We went to a meet up this past weekend and it was our first time meeting others who OC and it was great. We just started carrying recently because we were going to get our ccw and just do that but after joining this forum I realized that OC is better except the few locations that don't allow it.

It is great to be in a state with freedom to enjoy your firearms and no magazine limits are a plus
    It definitely looks like my kind of place, and the state has some good firearms laws. Mind you, compared to Illinois most places have good laws!

I've read the NV OC thread now, which took me a long time. Some questions here.

People go shooting in the desert? How does that work exactly (target/backstop)? Living in Illinois, the concept of shooting anywhere but a very select set of insured indoor locations is foreign to me.

I see there's a bit of a gray area over if bringing your firearm into a police station (to register it), while it's encased, would constitute concealed carry and so technical would be illegal (without a permit).

If you DO open carry into a police station to register the gun, should you unload it beforehand? And how likely is it that you'll be shouted at (or pinned to the floor!) for bringing it in openly?

I've read the NV OC thread now, which took me a long time. Some questions here.

People go shooting in the desert? How does that work exactly (target/backstop)? Living in Illinois, the concept of shooting anywhere but a very select set of insured indoor locations is foreign to me.

I see there's a bit of a gray area over if bringing your firearm into a police station (to register it), while it's encased, would constitute concealed carry and so technical would be illegal (without a permit).

If you DO open carry into a police station to register the gun, should you unload it beforehand? And how likely is it that you'll be shouted at (or pinned to the floor!) for bringing it in openly?
    Desert- the two areas we go have signs for shooters, pick up trash and casings and such. The backstops are the hills and mountains.

Police station. When I have gone, I brought in my firearms unloaded and left the magazine in the car or in the case of my revolver I took it apart and brought in all pieces. I carried it in openly in my hand. Where I went there was a window outside the main lobby to present firearms so I went here then went in to wait while they processed it. I cannot say that all stations are like that but the one nearest me is. However you should see signs on the door that will let you know steps to take with your handguns to register.

Desert- the two areas we go have signs for shooters, pick up trash and casings and such. The backstops are the hills and mountains.
    Mountains?? What sorcery is this!

Police station. When I have gone, I brought in my firearms unloaded and left the magazine in the car or in the case of my revolver I took it apart and brought in all pieces. I carried it in openly in my hand. Where I went there was a window outside the main lobby to present firearms so I went here then went in to wait while they processed it. I cannot say that all stations are like that but the one nearest me is. However you should see signs on the door that will let you know steps to take with your handguns to register.
    There's probably as close to zero as you can get, chance of getting busted with it in the case I guess. But I do like to follow the letter of the law. Which is why I'd worry if they demanded it be in the case (on their rules).

I only have semi-autos. I was thinking I'd just need to take the mag out, eject the round and take it in holstered (to avoid having to unload it in there).

Just check the doors before you go in. Like I said the one I have gone to has signs saying weapons must be unloaded and not concealed, can't recall about a case though I left my case in the car. And there is a separate window. I don't know if all stations are set up the same as the one I went to though but it will definitely be posted and you don't have to worry about getting in trouble, just be sure it is unloaded

Yep mountains, we were there last weekend and saw some snow on the mountains a bit further than where we were it was really pretty. It was about a 40 minute drive total for us from where we live to where we went shooting. We are on the north west side of Vegas, so it would be farther for you being in Henderson.

Yep mountains, we were there last weekend and saw some snow on the mountains a bit further than where we were it was really pretty. It was about a 40 minute drive total for us from where we live to where we went shooting. We are on the north west side of Vegas, so it would be farther for you being in Henderson.
    Nice. It will certainly be a novelty doing that kind of thing.

Nice. It will certainly be a novelty doing that kind of thing.
    If you are living in Henderson, there is some unincorporated BLM land that you can go shooting at on the other side of the Black Mountains that is much closer than the areas Crafty mentioned. Additionally, there is an outdoor shooting club even closer, I believe it is called the Pro Gun Club - really nice place.

Lots of people on here in the same area as you can suggest some other places. If you're looking for indoor shooting, I really like the Green Valley Range - but it's a little bit pricey for shooting. I am only going there now because of the groupon I got a couple months back.

Let us know when you get closer to making the move - you'll like it here, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by z28power View Post
    If you are living in Henderson, there is some unincorporated BLM land that you can go shooting at on the other side of the Black Mountains that is much closer than the areas Crafty mentioned. Additionally, there is an outdoor shooting club even closer, I believe it is called the Pro Gun Club - really nice place.

Lots of people on here in the same area as you can suggest some other places. If you're looking for indoor shooting, I really like the Green Valley Range - but it's a little bit pricey for shooting. I am only going there now because of the groupon I got a couple months back.

Let us know when you get closer to making the move - you'll like it here, I think.
    That's just so new to me. Going off and just shooting somewhere.

It will be a little while, maybe 6-9 months. When I'm there though I'm willing to share my ammo for a good guide to where I can shoot!

I've yet to have to go into a Metro substation to register because I've bought my handguns at the local gun store and they do the registration there. However, from everything I've read from those more knowledgeable than I am about this, you should carry the gun in your hands, unloaded(of course), magazine removed, and with the action open.

Mike,

I'd suggest, that if you come to visit before you move here, you make arrangements to complete the training and apply for your ccw. There is no difference between a resident and non-resident permit and it is taking about 100 days to process now.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
    Mike,

I'd suggest, that if you come to visit before you move here, you make arrangements to complete the training and apply for your ccw. There is no difference between a resident and non-resident permit and it is taking about 100 days to process now.

Ken
    Is it something you can do in a day?

I'll be down before I move for house-shopping.

It's a shame they no longer accept Utah, which I recently applied for. Although there is word that they *might* accept Illinois CCW (the reason I heard they stopped accepting Utah was there isn't a live fire exercise as part of the course). I also heard they make these decisions in July each year.

Fingers crossed!

Otherwise I spent $600+ on training and fees for a CCW I'm not going to be using.

Is it something you can do in a day?
    You can take the class and do all the paperwork in a day. You would need another few hours sometimes less to sit and wait at the fingerprint shop. Also if you are going to become a resident here then you can not use a out of state permit. Some states allow that, we do not.

Is it something you can do in a day?...

...Although there is word that they *might* accept Illinois CCW ....
    It's an 8-hour class. Most of my students prefer to do it in the same day.

Even if we do accept IL, and I would expect we will, you will be required to have a NV permit once you are legally a NV resident.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    It's an 8-hour class. Most of my students prefer to do it in the same day.

Even if we do accept IL, and I would expect we will, you will be required to have a NV permit once you are legally a NV resident.
    Darn, I just can't get my money back on this IL CCW!

Well you sound like the man to handle the lessons MAC, from what I've read.

Mike, I'll offer some of my experiences since moving to Henderson last August. Keep in mind that I live in one of the nicer parts of Henderson where crime isn't all that much of an issue, if that matters.

After being here for around 30 days [after becoming a Nevada Resident], I knew I only had 60 days to register, so I went to the station located about 1.5 miles away on Green Valley Parkway. I initially went in without my firearm and told the Desk Sgt what I was there to do; he just said to make sure it was unloaded. I brought in in in a case with a barrel lock.

No issues whatsoever. I did ask about open carry and he said "I wouldn't recommend that." -- not in a hostile way, just like a canned response.

Since last August I've been to [and to keep it related -- ONLY in Henderson and off the top of my head)

Smiths
    Food For Less
    MANY gas stations/ convenience stores
    Walgreens
    Walmart
    2 Barbershops (can't remember the names)
    Cheveron
    Subway
    Gamestop
    McDonalds
    Multiple Smoke Shops
    Barnes and Nobles Book store
    Target
    Several Gun stores
    KFC
    Pet Smart
    Office Depot

...you know what, I suppose it's not that relevant as I could go on and on. Been to many of them dozens of times to boot.

Not only have I NEVER been asked to leave ANY establishment, it seems that most people either don't notice [Glock 23 in a Blackhawk holster (not entirely subtle)], don't care or just demonstrate casual curiosity/friendly excitement. At least 2 people thought I was either Police or security. I educated them in a friendly manner as I tend to do.

You'll be fine here.
    Last edited by Turbod'1; 04-05-2014 at 09:39 PM. Reason: I've yet to see another person OC in Henderson. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbod'1 View Post
    Mike, I'll offer some of my experiences since moving to Henderson last August. Keep in mind that I live in one of the nicer parts of Henderson where crime isn't all that much of an issue, if that matters.
    Out of interest, the nicer parts of Henderson are where? Is there some kind of North/South or East/West divide in terms of crime?

After being here for around 30 days [after becoming a Nevada Resident], I knew I only had 60 days to register, so I went to the station located about 1.5 miles away on Green Valley Parkway. I initially went in without my firearm and told the Desk Sgt what I was there to do; he just said to make sure it was unloaded. I brought in in in a case with a barrel lock.
    Okay, so he didn't say it needed to be in a case?

No issues whatsoever. I did ask about open carry and he said "I wouldn't recommend that." -- not in a hostile way, just like a canned response.

Since last August I've been to [and to keep it related -- ONLY in Henderson and off the top of my head)
    I guess they get a lot of calls for open carry, so he was trying to discourage you. But then that's what the movement is about.

Gaining acceptance and desensitizing people, so seeing a gun isn't so sensational to them.

Smiths
    Food For Less
    MANY gas stations/ convenience stores
    Walgreens
    Walmart
    2 Barbershops (can't remember the names)
    Cheveron
    Subway
    Gamestop
    McDonalds
    Multiple Smoke Shops
    Barnes and Nobles Book store
    Target
    Several Gun stores
    KFC
    Pet Smart
    Office Depot

...you know what, I suppose it's not that relevant as I could go on and on. Been to many of them dozens of times to boot.

Not only have I NEVER been asked to leave ANY establishment, it seems that most people either don't notice [Glock 23 in a Blackhawk holster (not entirely subtle)], don't care or just demonstrate casual curiosity/friendly excitement. At least 2 people thought I was either Police or security. I educated them in a friendly manner as I tend to do.

You'll be fine here.
    That's what I can imagine happening, as I tend to dress smart, they might make the assumption. My guns are all in a black finish in a black holster, which is usually what you see on LEO.

I'm not to familiar with Glock's, but I have a Sig P226 MK25 and a P229. Both are pretty big, but the P226 you'd definitely not miss, it's a pretty big boy.

...Okay, so he didn't say it needed to be in a case?...

...I guess they get a lot of calls for open carry, so he was trying to discourage you. ...
    I've been yelled at for bringing it in in a case. Other times, they politely tell me they prefer it in a case. There is no way to predict what they want. I bring in with action open, uncased, and held in my hands in a non-firing hold.

They do not get a lot of calls about open carry, despite more and more people doing it. He was just giving you his personal, uneducated, superior-sounding opinion, as they are wont to do.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I've been yelled at for bringing it in in a case. Other times, they politely tell me they prefer it in a case. There is no way to predict what they want. I bring in with action open, uncased, and held in my hands in a non-firing hold.
    So a bit of a lottery then. I guess if you also used a chamber safety flag as well, surely would be no way they could complain about that.

They do not get a lot of calls about open carry, despite more and more people doing it. He was just giving you his personal, uneducated, superior-sounding opinion, as they are wont to do.
    Fair enough. I do sometimes listen to police dispatch, never done that for Henderson. That would probably be a way to see what's going on, and who is reporting what.

Out of interest, the nicer parts of Henderson are where? Is there some kind of North/South or East/West divide in terms of crime?
    Downtown henderson is typically going to be higher crime, as is the case in most cities. If you are looking for broad strokes:
    http://www.billsmithlv.com/zipcodemap.htm

89052, 89074, 89012, are generally higher priced homes because they are in "nicer areas". However you sometimes need to get down to smaller segments, of town, as there are nicer areas at the suburbs/outskirts of some of the far east henderson (closer to Lake Las Vegas) and the southwestern portions.

I don't make any recommendation of realtors, that link was simply the first one I found of MLS Area Codes with a map.

Here's a crime map that you can interact with: http://sellstatedeluxe.com/2013/07/2...gas-crime-map/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast