Thread: OC at Autofair in Charlotte?

OC at Autofair in Charlotte?

I will be displaying my car with a local club at the Autofair in Charlotte at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. It's a long day with a lot of walking, but has been a blast in the past. I'm an SC resident with my CCW permit. I would like to open carry to this event. To the best of my knowledge there is no state or local law, it would be up to the discretion of the property owner/manager correct? What signage should I look for? Otherwise it would be acceptable until/unless someone "of authority" asks me to stop correct? In which case I'll switch to CC.

You are bringing up the debate on whether HB937 applies to OC with a CC permit or not. Many here will say that it does not apply and point you to some letter stating the intent of the the section revised. I read the section (included below) literally and say it is OK to OC in a place that charges admission as long as you have a CC permit, assuming the property owner has not posted the premises or asked you to leave. Personally, I am carrying OC in restaurants that serve alcohol ever since the law was revised, not a word has been said to me, but maybe that is a function of the area I'm in. May want to check if speedway rules and regs (probably online) already blanket prohibit firearms.

14-269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    This section shall not apply to any of the following:
    (1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14-269;G.S. 14-269.
    (2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;establishment.
    (3) A person participating in the event, if he the person is carrying a gun, rifle,
    or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization
    sponsoring the event; andevent.
    (4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or
    person or organization sponsoring the event.
    (5) A person carrying a handgun if the person has a valid concealed handgun
    permit
    issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, has a
    concealed handgun permit considered valid under G.S. 14-415.24, or is
    exempt from obtaining a permit pursuant to G.S. 14-415.25. This
    subdivision shall not be construed to permit a person to carry a handgun on
    any premises where the person in legal possession or control of the premises
    has posted a conspicuous notice prohibiting the carrying of a concealed
    handgun on the premises in accordance with G.S. 14-415.11(c)."

Compare that bolded wording to the revised wording in the parades and funerals section:
    14-277.2. Weapons at parades, etc., prohibited.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. Violation of this subsection shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor. It shall be presumed that any rifle or gun carried on a rack in a pickup truck at a holiday parade or in a funeral procession does not violate the terms of this act.
    (b) For the purposes of this section the term "dangerous weapon" shall include those weapons specified in G.S. 14-269, 14-269.2, 14-284.1, or 14-288.8 or any other object capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death when used as a weapon.
    (c) The provisions of this section shall not apply to a person exempted by the provisions of G.S. 14-269(b) or to persons authorized by State or federal law to carry dangerous weapons in the performance of their duties or to any person who obtains a permit to carry a dangerous weapon at a parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration from the sheriff or police chief, whichever is appropriate, of the locality where such parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration is to take place.
    (d) The provisions of this section shall not apply to concealed carry of a handgun at a parade or funeral procession by a person with a valid permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, with a permit considered valid under G.S. 14-415.24, or who is exempt from obtaining a permit pursuant to G.S. 14-415.25. This subsection shall not be construed to permit a person to carry a concealed handgun on any premises where the person in legal possession or control of the premises has posted a conspicuous notice prohibiting the carrying of a concealed handgun on the premises in accordance with G.S. 14-415.11(c). (1981, c. 684, s. 1; 1983, c. 633; 1993, c. 412, s. 2; c. 539, s. 174; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 1997-238, s. 4; 2013-369, s. 15.)

Tricky one since it says in the grandstands, but you wont be in the stands:
    http://www.charlottemotorspeedway.co...s_regulations/

The following items are prohibited in the Grandstands:

Weapons of any kind

You may be OK because also included in the list are strollers and stadium chairs, which I'm sure there will be plenty of down where the cars are being displayed.

Good question and discussion.

Sent by carrier pigeon
    Quote Originally Posted by P.J. O'Rourke; The Liberty Manifesto
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.

you are entering a venue that charges admission! this is the premise the speedway is using to prohibit 'weapons' on their property. (14.269-3a: It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto...)

i do not think the venue's director of security will consider nor authorize a variance for you...

your SC CCW not withstanding, you have been made aware via this thread and while i have not visited that venue i believe the entrances may be appropriately marked.

suggest you seriously consider leavin'g it in your vehicle, perferably in a locked container in the trunk to keep it from getting stolen...

now that the administrative issues are done...what kinda of car you displaying? (yes grape while not admitting guilt, i am diverging for a second so the kindm gentleman can brag about his vehicle)

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 04-01-2014 at 12:45 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    you are entering a venue that charges admission! this is the premise the speedway is using to prohibit 'weapons' on their property. (14.269-3a: It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto...)
    BINGO!!

I will be there too. There might even be a car or two that I've restored show up. Maybe a Hugger Orange 69 Z-28 (black interior/white stripes) and a two tone blue '56 DeSoto hardtop. My gun will be locked away.

Quote Originally Posted by REDFIVE48 View Post
    14-269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    This section shall not apply to any of the following:
    (1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14-269;G.S. 14-269.
    (2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;establishment.
    (3) A person participating in the event, if he the person is carrying a gun, rifle,
    or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization
    sponsoring the event; andevent.
    (4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or
    person or organization sponsoring the event.
    (5) A person carrying a handgun if the person has a valid concealed handgun
    permit
    issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, has a
    concealed handgun permit considered valid under G.S. 14-415.24, or is
    exempt from obtaining a permit pursuant to G.S. 14-415.25. This
    subdivision shall not be construed to permit a person to carry a handgun on
    any premises where the person in legal possession or control of the premises
    has posted a conspicuous notice prohibiting the carrying of a concealed
    handgun on the premises in accordance with G.S. 14-415.11(c)."

Compare that bolded wording to the revised wording in the parades and funerals section:
    14-277.2. Weapons at parades, etc., prohibited.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. Violation of this subsection shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor. It shall be presumed that any rifle or gun carried on a rack in a pickup truck at a holiday parade or in a funeral procession does not violate the terms of this act.
    (b) For the purposes of this section the term "dangerous weapon" shall include those weapons specified in G.S. 14-269, 14-269.2, 14-284.1, or 14-288.8 or any other object capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death when used as a weapon.
    (c) The provisions of this section shall not apply to a person exempted by the provisions of G.S. 14-269(b) or to persons authorized by State or federal law to carry dangerous weapons in the performance of their duties or to any person who obtains a permit to carry a dangerous weapon at a parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration from the sheriff or police chief, whichever is appropriate, of the locality where such parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration is to take place.
    (d) The provisions of this section shall not apply to concealed carry of a handgun at a parade or funeral procession by a person with a valid permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, with a permit considered valid under G.S. 14-415.24, or who is exempt from obtaining a permit pursuant to G.S. 14-415.25. This subsection shall not be construed to permit a person to carry a concealed handgun on any premises where the person in legal possession or control of the premises has posted a conspicuous notice prohibiting the carrying of a concealed handgun on the premises in accordance with G.S. 14-415.11(c). (1981, c. 684, s. 1; 1983, c. 633; 1993, c. 412, s. 2; c. 539, s. 174; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 1997-238, s. 4; 2013-369, s. 15.)
    Since the OP has:

Quote Originally Posted by clemsonstang View Post
    I'm an SC resident with my CCW permit.
    As long as the venue is not posted he's good to go. Just remember if it's concealed you should not get any unwanted attention.

-R

Quote Originally Posted by rdinatal View Post
    Since the OP has: (NC statute blurp) snipped

As long as the venue is not posted he's good to go. Just remember if it's concealed you should not get any unwanted attention.-R
    did you happen to read the entire section after the highlite which states, in part:
    "(d) The provisions of this section shall not apply to concealed carry of a handgun at a parade or funeral procession by a person with a valid permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, ..."

you can not take the words '...shall not apply...' without including the words afterwards up to the comma as it makes a complete thought.

your advice is valid up to a point, but remember he asked the question about OC'g on the OC forum, therefore, i sure wouldn't bet after driving from SC, my afternoon's car festival enjoyment on 'if its not posted it he should be good to go' & " if CC'g you should not get any unwanted attention...'

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    did you happen to read the entire section after the highlite which states, in part:
    "(d) The provisions of this section shall not apply to concealed carry of a handgun at a parade or funeral procession by a person with a valid permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, ..."

you can not take the words '...shall not apply...' without including the words afterwards up to the comma as it makes a complete thought.
    He is not at ether on of those, is he? He was interested about being charged admission. Read 14-269.3 (a) (5)

Its not up to me if the OP chooses to open or concealed carry. As he gave the facts, he has a choice.

-R
    Last edited by rdinatal; 04-04-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rdinatal View Post
    He is not at ether on of those, is he? He was interested about being charged admission. Read 14-269.3 (a) (5)

Its not up to me if the OP chooses to open or concealed carry. As he gave the facts, he has a choice.

-R
    huh?

never mind

ipse