Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you trust the internet?

gerberkon

Can you trust the internet?

question arose. I do not like that on the Internet everything is publicly available. How can information be protected?

Encryption
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Enigma?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Believe nothing read or heard without verifying oneself unless Weltanschauung congruent.

!yrrac nepo? !cipot ffO
    Last edited by Nightmare; 04-01-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    ʍou ʎddɐɥ
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    You can't put anything on the internet that isn't true.
    Advocate freedom please

I Googled this question and the top answer came back that all stuff on the Interwebz is true.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Except fake boobs.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangkiller View Post
    Except fake boobs.
    No they are really there and really do exist. "Fake" is just the descriptor. Like "red' cars. They still exist just are red.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    I'm a French model.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I'm a French model.
    That explains ALOT.... viva LA resistance.. lol

Damn frogs

"The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

A general web search for "gerberkon" is informative.

Banned
    Abe Lincoln disagreed with that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by gerberkon View Post
    question arose. I do not like that on the Internet everything is publicly available. How can information be protected?
    Protected against normal folks? Easy.

Protected against the NSA? Hard - unless you just don't use the internet at all. Then it's dead simple.

Assume nothing is private though.

...waiting for the sales pitch about encryption products that you can buy in bulk...

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    That explains ALOT.... viva LA resistance.. lol

Damn frogs

Bon Jour.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by gerberkon View Post
    Not everything on the Internet is publicly available. You can limit your privacy settings on Facebook. That being said, Facebook and the NSA still have access to the things she marked private.

As others have pointed out, encryption to meet used to secure your transmissions. Including emails. Google GnuPG.

Google: TOR (the onion router)
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Not everything on the Internet is publicly available. You can limit your privacy settings on Facebook. That being said, Facebook and the NSA still have access to the things she marked private.

As others have pointed out, encryption to meet used to secure your transmissions. Including emails. Google GnuPG.

Google: TOR (the onion router)
    Well said. Encryption everywhere. Locally full disk encryption and file encryption for the paranoid. Force secure communication with HTTPS, anonymized and through TOR. Use encrypted e-mail and a secure server.

We may not be able to prevent snooping, but it can be made so expensive as to discourage cursory/casual snooping.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 04-03-2014 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Well said. Encryption everywhere. Locally full disk encryption and file encryption for the paranoid. Force secure communication with HTTPS, anonymized and through TOR. Use encrypted e-mail and a secure server.

We may not be able to prevent snooping, but it can be made so expensive as to discourage cursory/casual snooping.
    I'm quite confident that the NSA is very concerned with expense.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

This forum doesn't support https.

Disappointing
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 04-03-2014 at 08:11 AM.
    Advocate freedom please

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I'm quite confident that the NSA is very concerned with expense.
    Political expense?

Political expense?
    Any expense.....but I think you know this.

To be clear: native TOR doesn't secure the payload, it just protects the identity of the sender.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

This forum doesn't support https.

Disappointing
    HTTPS requires the server use a dedicated IP. Most hosting places charge extra for a dedicated IP. There are done technical considerations here!

What would HTTPS but you anyhow? Protection of your user ID/password? Aside from PMs, it's a public forum!

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    HTTPS requires the server use a dedicated IP. Most hosting places charge extra for a dedicated IP. There are done technical considerations here!

What would HTTPS but you anyhow? Protection of your user ID/password? Aside from PMs, it's a public forum!
    There are a multitude of reasons to offer HTTPS, even on a site such as this one. You named two already, and I bet you didn't even have to think that hard

Cost is cost. If it's important, it should just be considered part of the cost of running a website. I can't recall ever being solicited for donations on this website. If money is an issue, first of all they should ask for help from their member base, and secondly I'd personally cover the cost of the SSL certificate for 1 year.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 04-03-2014 at 01:50 PM.
    Advocate freedom please

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast