• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Purchasing a firearm after juvenile record expunge and rights restored.

kevinRR

The title pretty much explains it, but I've got into some trouble when I was a juvenile(non-violent). My record was expunged and firearm rights restored by the judge. I've read on the ATF form 4473 that I can answer no to this question(have you ever been convicted in any court of a felony?). I've also call the handgun hotline and talk to both supervisor and was told to answer no to that question. But I'm still a little nervous for some reason. Anyone ever been through this situation I would like to hear about your experience buying a firearm for the first time?

markush

My record was expunged and firearm rights restored by the judge. I've also call the handgun hotline and talk to both supervisor and was told to answer no to that question. Anyone ever been through this situation I would like to hear about your experience buying a firearm for the first time?

Your not going to get a lot of people sharing their criminal past with you here. I don't understand what your worried about. If everything you've said is true with the judge and the hotline...just check "no" you'll either be approved or denied...if denied...and if what you've stated above is true...appeal the denial and they will tell you why you were denied.

Last edited:

kevinRR

Your not going to get a lot of people sharing their criminal past with you here. I don't understand what your worried about. If everything you've said is true with the judge and the hotline...just check "no" you'll either be approved or denied...if denied...and if what you've stated above is true...appeal the denial and they will tell you why you were denied.

I'm not too worried just wanted to see if anyone been in the same situation as me. I've read about how people was denied because they had a juvenile record and no one actually come back and post if they every got anything done/fix. There not much information out there about how to get a juvenile firearm restriction lifted in the state of Wisconsin. I know some people will disagree and say that if a juvenile been convicted they should never own a firearm again. But a lot of kids grow up to be productive member of society. Some of us even join the service but after getting out and finding out we can't own a firearm is disappointing. Hopefully this thread will help someone out in the future.

1st thing to do is to go county court house where you where adjudicated as juvenile. Here is the link to the for JD-1780 and JD-1781
http://www.wicourts.gov/formdisplay...=JD-1780&formType=Form&formatId=2&language=en
http://www.wicourts.gov/formdisplay...=JD-1781&formType=Form&formatId=2&language=en

2nd thing is to fill out petition to remove firearm restriction-juvenile form JD-1771
http://www.wicourts.gov/SearchWicourts?query=jd-1771

Law abider

Look at it another way. If God has forgiven your sin, does he remember it? The problem is that you may. You seem to have matured as an adult I assume. So put the past behind and move on. Clean slate buddy. I was sent to an English boarding school by my dad because I was a brat. I got the lickings and Yes I was sent half way across the world and shaped up. Other school boys there got the rod on their rears and I heard them howl! If I had been a brat here in America, I would have a record. Too bad, parental rights have been taken away and the government is now the parent.