Thread: New 2AF Tool: State Reciprocity Lookup and State Gun Laws quick guide

New 2AF Tool: State Reciprocity Lookup and State Gun Laws quick guide

As you might know, the new +P version of the 2AFriendly app automatically detects your state and shows you reciprocity based on your carry license/permit(s).

Since we already did the legwork for the app, we want to make that data available to everyone. We feel our unique method of handling the output is it is useful and easy to grasp, and it includes some quick details about state laws that we need to know as we travel. In addition - like everything we build, It'll work on your mobile device.

Check it out here:
    http://2afriendly.com/2afriendly-reciprocity.php

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Installed it on my Android mobile, works great, seems to be a well-written app. Took a quick look around and rated nine businesses in which I have openly carried and rated them as "Friendly." This app will be useful.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    Installed it on my Android mobile, works great, seems to be a well-written app. Took a quick look around and rated nine businesses in which I have openly carried and rated them as "Friendly." This app will be useful.
    Thank you. Our next project(s) are to create more data viewing tools - for example a way to view the highest-ranked OC cities in the country, or state-by-state counts... Much to do!

I am not a fan of my mobile device "knowing" my location.....thus, the service provider may know my location, other than by towers used. Does this app require the mobile device to "know" where it is? It seems that a manual entry is available based on the screen capture.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I am not a fan of my mobile device "knowing" my location.....thus, the service provider may know my location, other than by towers used. Does this app require the mobile device to "know" where it is? It seems that a manual entry is available based on the screen capture.
    You can turn off the GPS on your device for sure.

From the app, if you have GPS turned off, you can scroll the map around and rate someplace that is not near your location.
    Or, places can be manually rated online, here: http://2afriendly.com/2afriendly-rate.php

The screenshot and link in the OP above is something completely different. It's a web browser tool to look up reciprocity, and does not know where you are.
    Last edited by 2AFriendly; 04-03-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2AFriendly View Post
    You can turn off the GPS on your device for sure.

From the app, if you have GPS turned off, you can scroll the map around and rate someplace that is not near your location.
    Or, places can be manually rated online, here: http://2afriendly.com/2afriendly-rate.php
    Thanks. I do wear tinfoil where my mobile device is concerned.

I presumed, correctly or incorrectly, I don't know at this point, that the two state drop downs shown were always visible in the app. Is this a correct presumption? This app interests me.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Thanks. I do wear tinfoil where my mobile device is concerned.

I presumed, correctly or incorrectly, I don't know at this point, that the two state drop downs shown were always visible in the app. Is this a correct presumption? This app interests me.
    I understand There's a lot of gun guys who agree with you on that.

It works differently in the +P app. You have a user profile, and you have dropdowns to select your state(s) where your License/Permits are from, (if you choose.)

Then, if you have GPS turned on, the app gets the state you're in and shows you the reciprocity info automatically. clicking on it pops up the brief gun law guide.

Also note that this feature is not in the free version of the app.

User profile screen where you can select your license/permits:

Home screen that tells you the state and reciprocity based on y our permit/license(s):

State laws screen:
    Last edited by 2AFriendly; 04-03-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks.

Centurion
    Just sent them a "suggestion" as they have no entry in the state permits for an ENHANCED IDAHO permit that IS recognized by Nevada!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Just sent them a "suggestion" as they have no entry in the state permits for an ENHANCED IDAHO permit that IS recognized by Nevada!
    Looks like we'll need a third type of gun "permit" - "enhanced."
    Last edited by 2AFriendly; 04-08-2014 at 10:59 AM.