• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

who makes the Marines look bad -- this guy -think the military protects constitution?

wimwag

If you ran at me like that, I'd shoot you in the chest until you hit the pavement. *******. You seem to have a twisted sense of liberty and rights, and you need to swallow your pride and get it straightened out.

Worse than 50%ers. People like you piss me off something terrible.

Learn some anger management tough guy.

sudden valley gunner

Maybe to you. As a first generation American it represents a promise and a responsibility.

Feel free to criticize the government, its your right! The flag represents WE THE PEOPLE, not the crooked government we for some reason keep reelecting.

I am pre your generation.......what does that have to do with anything? Some of my ancestors lived here for thousands of years some came in the 1600's others a little later.......the flag is a symbol of the government.

The flag is like the gun an inanimate object whatever personifications you put upon it is solely your own.

Government is crooked.

Says who?

It doesn't represent me. I fly a Virginia flag.

+1

A first generation guy should understand that whole states like Virginia reserved the right to denounce and withdraw from the union, they should also understand that it was the states that ratified the document that made the union possible.

sudden valley gunner

If you ran at me like that, I'd shoot you in the chest until you hit the pavement. *******. You seem to have a twisted sense of liberty and rights, and you need to swallow your pride and get it straightened out.

Worse than 50%ers. People like you piss me off something terrible.

+1 Assault can be rightfully repelled.

I find it amusing that he wants to go after the guy who is defending himself not the guy who said he was going to attack someone for exercising a right.

wimwag

I love how you southerners hang onto that fantasy that the civil war wasn't about slavery...and call it "southern pride.". Lmao

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I love how you southerners hang onto that fantasy that the civil war wasn't about slavery...and call it "southern pride.". Lmao

I don't recall ever saying that, but if you need to make incorrect assumptions about others in order to make sense of the world, go right ahead. I can also see how beating up straw men might be more satisfying than engaging with others honestly.

I don't love Virginia because it has an untarnished history. That would be a fool's errand. For instance, slavery has existed everywhere on earth at one time or another. It persisted in parts of Europe (in the form of serfdom – which is, yes, a form of slavery; the word "serf" comes from the latin servus or slave) until the 20th century. That doesn't make slavery right, but it does suggest that, if the absence of a history of slavery is a necessary prerequisite for moral patriotism, every person on earth should hate their homeland.

Furthermore, I don't favor states' rights because I'm a crypto-racist (although that is a convenient assumption for the weak of intellect). I am on record here repeatedly arguing that, if there is a single valid purpose to a federal government, it is to ensure a minimum standard of civil right recognition, such as by preventing states from allowing slavery, or other infringements of individual right (usually here it's gun rights, but the principle is the same).

I favor states' rights because I'm a voluntarist, and voluntary collective action (of the sort necessary to establish a non-coercive society) is far easier on a small scale. For this reason, and this reason alone, I oppose too-powerful central government – and statists support it to their dying breath.

Incidentally, this sort of thing is classic troll behavior. Don't think that's escaped anybody here.

Last edited:

wimwag

Oh look, one poster who disagrees with another poster calling him a "troll." That's never happened on any forum anywhere ever. You truly rule the internet.

wimwag

By the way, marshaul and SVG...I said..."maybe to you" and told you what the stars and stripes meant to me. Talk about a straw man.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
1/10. Lame-o. Back to troll school.

Oh look, one poster who disagrees with another poster calling him a "troll." That's never happened on any forum anywhere ever. You truly rule the internet.

Uh huh. :rolleyes:

I offered plenty for a person genuinely interested in conversation to respond to. It's become quite evident, however, that that person is not you.

Last edited:

wimwag

It was never about slavery. Slavery was still legal in the North until sometime after the end of the war of Northern Aggression.

Wrong. The South threw a temper tantrum and seceded when President Lincoln outlawed slavery. When told to back it up, the south attacked a northern fort, thus sealing its fate.

Slavery is bad. Confederacy is dead. Get over it.