• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

April Meetup

Craftymommy

I wanted to start up the thread for an April meet up, or two!

I was thinking the weekend of the 19th and maybe make it a shooting day? I will have family in town but they are more than happy to go shooting and experience the variety in firearms and extended magazines( they are in California).

Location wise, I only know of two that are past the reservation going north on the 95 freeway. One to the right where it looks like old river beds or something and the other to the left by the prison. However with a big group I don't think either is too suitable.

However if anyone has other ideas feel free to share!

z28power

Sounds like a good idea to me - I will have to see about arranging a babysitter for half the day or so, as this would decide my availability.

Craftymommy

Sounds like a good idea to me - I will have to see about arranging a babysitter for half the day or so, as this would decide my availability.

How old are your kids? Mine are3 and 1 and we usually bring them along when we go shooting. They have their own ear protection too:)

z28power

How old are your kids? Mine are3 and 1 and we usually bring them along when we go shooting. They have their own ear protection too:)

3yrs, and 3 months. The one is just too young to really do much with yet. I haven't brought my 3yr old out with us yet, since I've only had time for indoor shooting in town recently.

Last edited:

Craftymommy

3yrs, and 3 months. The one is just too young to really do much with yet. I haven't brought my 3yr old out with us yet, since I've only had time for indoor shooting in town recently.

Ah, yeah probably not so good for the baby but your 3 year old might love it. Mine does, he has a toy cowboy gun with a holster and he is just so happy walking around with it being like daddy:)

z28power

Ah, yeah probably not so good for the baby but your 3 year old might love it. Mine does, he has a toy cowboy gun with a holster and he is just so happy walking around with it being like daddy:)

I probably wouldn't bring my daughter to a group outing like this for 2 reasons:
1) Would rather do that the first time in a more isolated environment, i.e. just me and the wife. Not sure how she would like or not like it, sometimes she's a bit of a scaredy-cat :lol: She will have some gun time with daddy in the future, but I think right now it would just scare her and make her have a bad experience. I know a nephew or two that would have loved it at her age, but you know, every kid's different!!

2) If I'm already paying for a babysitter or conning a family member into watching one... might as well get some time with just the wife and myself!!!! :lol:

Craftymommy

Ah very true. My boys both love it, as long as they have on their earmuffs:) Have to love those adult days out! haha doesnt happen often for us.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That day is one of my regular rifle matches, so I'm booked through the mid-afternoon at least. But like I say, never plan anything around me; I never know when I can make it anyway.

Craftymommy

So I was realizing last night that the 20th is Easter. If that poses problems for meeting the 19th for some, then maybe next weekend, the 12th or 13th?

Just a thought.

I have no clue what I am doing with planning anything, especially with a group haha!

28kfps

So I was realizing last night that the 20th is Easter. If that poses problems for meeting the 19th for some, then maybe next weekend, the 12th or 13th?

Just a thought.

I have no clue what I am doing with planning anything, especially with a group haha!

Craftymommy, Just my input. In the past 40 years I have been involved in several groups which certainty does not make me an expert however after trying to organize many get togethers I am of the opinion just plan the date and go with it. However a good call on Easter weekend. For me the week before I have a 4 day handgun training at Front Sight. Easter weekend I am busy both Saturday and Sunday both sides of the family. Do not adjust on my account. I guess replies will help with the date decision.

A few years ago I posted a Fremont Street walk and meet-up had a few say they were good to go. This was a 130 mile round trip for me. I ended up with one show-up, me! Can I suggest those that say the will make a meet-up and it changes to let the planner know. We had a good example of that during the Famous Dave's BBQ meet up.
I do want to thank you and garand_guy for the last meet up and the time and effort to organize future meet-ups. Ii would appear your enthusiasm has increased the interested in OC dot org.

Just one example of planing event difficulties. Some years ago I belonged to a motorcycle club. They had great web page with planned meet-ups and outings. Every time I tried to attend one they would cancel it. I called them the “to” club. Every schedule event they had several members that would call and say they did not want to go because it was to cold, to hot, to windy, to far, to late, to early, to few, to many, to fast, to slow, to cloudy. In one year I made one ride with them. They did not get another year of membership from me.

Craftymommy

Thank you for the advice! I honestly have to say with my limited knowledge of firearms I am loving the community. I think it is just amazing and it makes me want to be more involved. If I encourage others to be more involved then so be it:)

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

Barker

I am available on the 19th. As for next weekend, I don't get back to Vegas until mid day Saturday. So that weekend may not work for me. We could always plan for the 25th, 26th or 27th weekend. Thoughts?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Craftymommy

So far only one has really commented either way. I posted in the facebook group My husband created and I think there is one or two that is ok for the 19th. The weekend after would be ok too.

Craftymommy

It was suggested to me to plan for April 26th, at 6pm like the March meet up. However with that being said, I probably won't be going if it involves eating out due to my husband getting in shape to apply for Metro PD. Would be good to have an officer on our side though since I am not sure if anyone on this forum is one:)

Anyway, suggestions, comments, times, post what you want to do!

Jeannette

I can do that Saturday if it can be in the afternoon instead of at night. I'll be going to Pahrump that night for the fireworks.

SharpShootur

That sounds good. How about an all day affair so more people can simply trickle in and out for the day! We just got to keep a roster as well as photos.

Vegassteve

Just a thought. The Lovell canyon area is halfway between vegas and parumph. Although the wife and I cant do sat or sun events. It may help with those who come over the hump as its closer.

brettf22raptor

Hey guys! I'll be in Henderson the 23rd and 24th to move some more of my belongings from my uncle's place to my current place in AZ. Would love to do a meetup somewhere if anyone is available on either of those days. I will be heading out the 24th about mid-afternoon though.