• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Accessory question - quick attach/release light

z28power

I'm looking for some options for a quick release and quick attach light for my Springfield XD40. It gets nightstand duty, but comes out when I'm OCing as well. My holster is not designed to support any light attachment, so I want to have a light that I can quickly attach and detach from the weapon when it goes in/out of the Quick Access Safe on days I'm out with another weapon.

I've already found the Safariland RLSM light, and was suggested another option, the Surefire x300.

Any other options for this application?

davidmcbeth

Banned
I am not a fan of lights ... it gives your position away...really you would likely be dead before your light shines on the target.

Get some night vision equipment.

I have no lights on any gun .. and am fully prepared for night fighting.

Fallschirjmäger

Get some night vision equipment.
I have no lights on any gun .. and am fully prepared for night fighting.
He's right, a thousand dollar set of night vision goggles makes you invincible and invisible in the dark.

Unless your opponent has a twenny dollah flashlight from the surplus store.
archer-injuries-blindness.jpg

z28power

does your XD know that you are seeing someone else? ;)

Shhhhhhhh. The XD gets me on the weekends, when I'm out the most, and after work if I ever have places to go or people to see. Doesn't know, won't hurt, right? She doesn't want me when I'm being boring at work, right? :D That's SHIELD40 duty. So I don't see why the XD ever has to know :) They DO share the same bed though when I'm asleep so I bet all secrecy is out the window anyway.

Back on a serious note, I'm unlikely to get NVG, so I was hoping for some additional suggestions instead. :)

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
These folks know little of Gov't tactics ...

Does the Army use night vision scopes?
They are a night-time army for the most part, more and more operations occur at night using, not flashlights, but night vision equipment.

Want light in your house? Better to put switches in your bedroom that can turn them on than to rely on a flashlight that gives you a 20 angle of view.

Me with night vision v. another with a flashlight? The guy with the light is toast. My night vision gives me 300 yards of visual sight, flashlight maybe 20.

And the cartoon is funny ... want to base your life on a cartoon? That's up to you but expect funny results.

http://www.goblinnightvision.com/video_of_flashlight_vs_gen1+_nightvision.html

Learn and live !

OC for ME

Shhhhhhhh. The XD gets me on the weekends, when I'm out the most, and after work if I ever have places to go or people to see. Doesn't know, won't hurt, right? She doesn't want me when I'm being boring at work, right? :D That's SHIELD40 duty. So I don't see why the XD ever has to know :) They DO share the same bed though when I'm asleep so I bet all secrecy is out the window anyway.

Back on a serious note, I'm unlikely to get NVG, so I was hoping for some additional suggestions instead. :)
TMI....:uhoh:

I have a XD40 and I tried the light thing. returned it cuz I did not like the weight on the end of the gun. I carry a small 120 lumen light, about 4" long in a little nylon "sheath" next to my spare mags/clips/bullet holder thingys. I also found that having two different holsters to be an unnecessary expense. I have two holsters, a leather Desantis Viper for business casual attire and a Blackhawk Lvl 2 for blue collar attire. Having to get two more for each attires was more than I wanted to spend. Also, I'm scared the Bigfoot of the Missouri Clan will get me if I go out at night. So, no light needed.

Just my opinion though.....except the Bigfoot part. ;)

Firearms Iinstuctor

Having searched many building having instructed and watch others do a lot low light shooting.

I am a firm believer in tactical weapon mounted lights.

Buy the best one you can afford and used it properly.

300 yards of night vision is great but most likely the BG is going to be with in feet not yards.

With a 500 lum light I have no trouble making out a 4x4 inch post at 100 yards.

Remember proper ID of your target is very important shooting some one that doesn't need shooting leads to big trouble.

Wasn't that long ago that some shot his child sneaking back into the house.

A good tact light and proper verbal commands well go a long ways to prevent such tragedies.

If one can afford night vision also its great stuff to have around but a good tact light is very useful.

Last edited:

z28power

Offtopic.gif

I really would prefer not to argue the merits of night vision vs. tactical light attachments.

I was just hoping with such a knowledgeable community I could get some input on different brands and models of quick release lights.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Offtopic.gif

I really would prefer not to argue the merits of night vision vs. tactical light attachments.

I was just hoping with such a knowledgeable community I could get some input on different brands and models of quick release lights.

Understood; attached is a coupon for a free flashlight as penance. Harbor Freight.

Last edited:

z28power

Understood; attached is a coupon for a free flashlight as penance. Harbor Freight.

The price sure is right, but does not attach or detach from my weapon as I originally mentioned. Thanks for the suggestion though! :)

ETA: Although come to think of it, Harbor Freight does carry Duct Tape... but that wouldn't work too well with the slide.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

ETA: Although come to think of it, Harbor Freight does carry Duct Tape... but that wouldn't work too well with the slide.
Back on topic....
There are specially designed lights that you can attach to your firearm, and they'll cost a nice penny.
At the other end of the scale there are simple rings that will attach any to any firearm with an accessory rail.
In the middle are mounts that are quick-detach and will adapt almost any flashlight to a rail and nestle securely on your belt while not in use.

I went the middle route and purchased a Safariland Rapid Light System (RLS) mount. You can purchase a bare one for about $25 or one with a Safariland light for under $100. I used a bare mount with a Surefire G2X. The RLS comes with a clip you can slip on a belt use or you can mount the light to a Picatinny belt mount. All totaled, just over $100 for a light with 2 power settings.

z28power

Back on topic....
There are specially designed lights that you can attach to your firearm, and they'll cost a nice penny.
At the other end of the scale there are simple rings that will attach any to any firearm with an accessory rail.
In the middle are mounts that are quick-detach and will adapt almost any flashlight to a rail and nestle securely on your belt while not in use.

I went the middle route and purchased a Safariland Rapid Light System (RLS) mount. You can purchase a bare one for about $25 or one with a Safariland light for under $100. I used a bare mount with a Surefire G2X. The RLS comes with a clip you can slip on a belt use or you can mount the light to a Picatinny belt mount. All totaled, just over $100 for a light with 2 power settings.

Nice input, I appreciate the mention of an alternative light to fit this system. As I mentioned in the OP, I had found the Safariland RLS mount initially upon doing some research into the matter and was looking for other options as well. I like the the system is modular and any light meeting the proper diameter can be attached.

.45acp

http://www.opticsplanet.com/gun-mount-flashlights.html?ef_id=U0c-CQAAAK5c4y-B:20140411012219:s

Try the link above, there are any number of detachable guns lights. My wife uses a http://www.opticsplanet.com/streamlight-tlr1-weapon-mounted-flashlight.html on her Sig Sauer. She does not use the gun for carry, but the light is functional and simple to activate as well as the laser.

Tacticool Night vision gear is good stuff, but when you hear a thump in the night and seconds matter, fumble around getting it on, the BG will be beating you to death with a baseball bat.

Fallschirjmäger

The Crimson Trace Lightguards are pretty cost-effective, especially if you can find one with the strobe feature. We were unable to find anyone who could resist looking away when it was shined at them (and that was in a dimmed, not dark, room.) Problem is that you're not going to find anything other than a custom molded Kydex holster for that combination.

z28power

Yea, like I said I don't want the light on it while holstered and open carrying just when in the nightstand safe, so I wanted something with a quick release :) I don't think the streamlight nor the crimson trace are quick attach detach, are they?

Sent from my phone, so be gentle on my autocorrect spelling mistakes!