• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC question

keith1993may

hello,
im new to this site and was wondering about this...
so im 20 years old and in NC you CAN purchase a pistol purchase permit at 18-20 but must buy a handgun privately...
i applied for my permit a few weeks ago and was denied because of a misdemeanor "assault on a govt offical".
yet I can buy from a ffl dealer long guns no problem with this on my record. ive actully bought 3 long guns through ffl background checks and was approved so im kinda confused as to why I would be denied for a permit.. also I was wondering that if it was legal to "carry a friends pistol "(OC) if written consent to "borrow" it and paper was notarized.
sorry if i sound stupid im kind of new to the pistol world..

papa bear

hello,
im new to this site and was wondering about this...
so im 20 years old and in NC you CAN purchase a pistol purchase permit at 18-20 but must buy a handgun privately...
i applied for my permit a few weeks ago and was denied because of a misdemeanor "assault on a govt offical".
yet I can buy from a ffl dealer long guns no problem with this on my record. ive actully bought 3 long guns through ffl background checks and was approved so im kinda confused as to why I would be denied for a permit.. also I was wondering that if it was legal to "carry a friends pistol "(OC) if written consent to "borrow" it and paper was notarized.
sorry if i sound stupid im kind of new to the pistol world..

Welcome to the forum KEITH, glad to have you. i hope you will check out GRNC.org while you at it

i wished you had said which county you are in, it is good that they even let you apply. how old were you when the incident happened. since it is a violent crime could be one of the reasons it was denied.
you can appeal to the chief justice in your county, and if that doesn't work you can go to the AG.

anyone can give you a gun as long as you are not a unallowed person (felonies or domestic charges). as long as it is in your possession you "own" it. guns are not registered in NC.

a FFL background check is not the same as what the sheriff dept. did. they actually used their personal bigotry to deny you.

Last edited by a moderator:

keith1993may

hey man I live in richmond county. i was 17 when the incident occurred however it still shows up on my record. they told me they denied me for the charge but yet the fbi will approve me for a long gun purchase. im wondering if i were to carry though and be stopped by LEO how would the situation play out if the handgun is a friends. and would i be committing a crime?

XD40sc

hey man I live in richmond county. i was 17 when the incident occurred however it still shows up on my record. they told me they denied me for the charge but yet the fbi will approve me for a long gun purchase. im wondering if i were to carry though and be stopped by LEO how would the situation play out if the handgun is a friends. and would i be committing a crime?

If your are not a convicted felon, you should be good to open carry. Unless you are in Durham county, the gun is not 'registered' to any individual. If a LEO suspects (or wants to harass) the gun is stolen, and the serial# doesn't come back as a stolen item, I guess he's pretty much out of options, other than illegal harassment)

PS if you did purchase from a private sale, with a PPP, you are not required to carry the PPP or Bill of Sale with you to prove it is a legal purchase. I would not attempt the 'borrow' paperwork.

I am not a lawyer.

Last edited:

keith1993may

i am not a convicted felon. my main concern is driving with it. get pulled and when the LEO runs my DL and sees that i assaulted a cop when i was 17 and now im carrying he would harass me about how i got it..

papa bear

what law would you have broken? seriously look it up

how would they know how you got it? you don't keep the stupid bigoted PPP, nobody does. the PPP doesn't apply to the gun but to the person

keith1993may

/

so its not breaking the law in Nc to OC a pistol that isnt yours? im pretty sure the only law restricting carrying any kind of gun is you being a felon or the place your in if its a gun free zone.

solus

welcome to the forum...

first since you are beginning your quest to carry, i recommend you begin your research and take a look at what the NC attorney general has put out, rev: FEB 2014: (do not look at Oct 13 or previous version).

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

section III D covers your query about xporting in a vehicle. to paraphase the AG's guidance...quote North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an automobile. unquote

now that you have read that document you should have a better appreciation on the complexities of NC Statutes concerning firearms.

still curious...here is the NC statute site: http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutes.asp

also, go find a NRA basic pistol course in your area and take it! the piece of paper could come in handy if, heaven forbid, you are involved in a judicial situation challenging your abilities to carry and use a hand gun.

to address your judicial comment which i will preface with: INAL!

first things first...please do not post the particulars of your judicial proceedings out on the by ways of the forum as it is public and searchable by al gore's invention!!

1. go to the local courthouse and play nice ask to see and get copies of the documents, all the documents, from your previous encounter with the local judicial system and you now know what the sheriff saw when they denied your PPP.
(there could be several factors in play, one the sheriff doesn't know 14.404 does allow the PPPs to be issued to an individual <21 or they do and is being obstinate and used your history as an excuse to deny until you are >21.
2. compare what the sheriff stated in your denial letter with what you got from the courthouse as well as what you initially got when the event(s) transpired to assure their isn't a clerical error. if there is toddle to the courthouse and ask to speak to someone in the DA's office to see if you can get it rectified.
3. if there are no discrepancies, get an attorney to get the situation fixed, e.g., seal the records since you were a juvie?

now for the hand gun purchase query...
ATF has agreed the NC PPP, as implemented by the 100 county sheriffs, suffices to meet the FBI background checks prior to purchase a hand gun. therefore 14.402 explains the whys and wherefores of getting that piece of paper.

the main reason i personally advocate <21 get a PPP is to give to their caregivers in the event there is any judicial discussion on if you stole the firearm from them and therefore were carrying it illegally. that stated, no you do not need a PPP to OC a hand gun. is there an opportunity you will get hassled by local LE...yes as you have read, even us beaten up adults get hassled all the time doing it.

again, inal, but you receiving and using a handgun from 'a friend' could land the friend into serious federal trouble, using your caregivers yes, friends no.

IMHO, the complication is what is judicially hanging over you and if a LE pokes your name in their computer to check out your 'history' will it cause them to launch into defensive mode or just say, eh, it was youthful indiscretion?

finally, check out NEastern state(s) CCW non resident process as i have heard others successfully follow that path.

again welcome to the complexities of OC'g...

ipse

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

In some states a misdemeanor with violence may disqualify you to possess a firearm. I don't know about NC. I would be iffy about recieving a firearm without a PPP unless it is from a family member. Even though guns are unregistered, ATF traces them all the time. Unless you just have to carry a semi auto I suggest bypassing the whole mess with a antique firearm. No PPP, no background check, no FFL, just have to be 18 years old, you can even buy one and have it shipped to YOU.

Just to save yourself future hassles look into getting your record expunged.

WalkingWolf

Kieth go to Cabela's website search for Remington 1858. Order a 5.5 inch 58, spare cylinder, holster for both. Go to your local gun store buy some black powder, caps, balls, and you are almost there. Just one more thing find a 45 empty cartridge, use this to cut your wads out of the card board used for cereal boxes or similar. Buy some beeswax, melt it and dip your wads in the wax. Use this wads between your powder and ball. The wads will prevent chain fires, and lube the barrel.

GO SHOOTING with your new toy! Carry it proudly, it is a very good looking firearm. If you want a modern firearm still, get a lawyer and get your record straightened out.

Last edited:

keith1993may

yessir.....^ im not trying to committ a crime.. just trying to protect myself.. also my sheriff designate who denied my PPP told me i could get her decision appealed. if that helps.

OC for ME

The denial could possibly be nothing more than a CYA on their part. Once you hit 21 things may change. Advice to expunge your record(s) is sage advice.

solus

14-415.15. Issuance or denial of permit.
snip...
(c) A person's application for a permit shall be denied only if the applicant fails to qualify under the criteria listed in this Article. If the sheriff denies the application for a permit, the sheriff shall, within 45 days, notify the applicant in writing, stating the grounds for denial. An applicant may appeal the denial, revocation, or nonrenewal of a permit by petitioning a district court judge of the district in which the application was filed. The determination by the court, on appeal, shall be upon the facts, the law, and the reasonableness of the sheriff's refusal. The determination by the court shall be final. (1995, c. 398, s. 1; 2005-343, s. 1; 2011-268, s. 17.)

you can discern yourself if your judicial indiscretion meets the denial criteria by researching 14-415.12 (b) The sheriff shall deny a permit to an applicant who: paragraphs (1) - (11).

let me PM you a document which is too cumbersome for my technological deprived brain to manage for your perusal which might quantify specifics..(where is the darn document...geez)

ipse

solus

technology 2, IPSE 0
technology 3, IPSE 0

third strike means i can't figure it out after all...guess i'll go back to figuring out how to program and change the time on the betamax to record hee haw

ipse

Last edited: