Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this considered legal open carrying (picture included)

Is this considered legal open carrying (picture included)

I do some walking and do not wear pants with belts and am a bit too large for shoulder holsters. Since I don't have my CPL, I have to open carry. My solution was to wear my gun openly on the outside of my backpack. I achieved this by adding Velcro tape to the holster and the backpack and tightly tying the bands of the backpack around the outside of the holster. Since this is clearly visible, this would be legally open carrying still, correct?

I believe this would be legal, but not very prudent.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    jog on, troll.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Perhaps, but tactically, there are concerns. It appears to be at the very rear of the pack, well out of your visual field. In a crowd, it could easily get snatched.

There are some duty belts that fasten with velcro that could be worn over your clothing, and provide a secure, tactically sound method to keep your sidearm handy.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userse...Modify message
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    jog on, troll.
    That would seem the more likely appropriate response.

But if you were serious, potcha, no, don't do that.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by potcha View Post
    I do some walking and do not wear pants with belts and am a bit too large for shoulder holsters. Since I don't have my CPL, I have to open carry. My solution was to wear my gun openly on the outside of my backpack. I achieved this by adding Velcro tape to the holster and the backpack and tightly tying the bands of the backpack around the outside of the holster. Since this is clearly visible, this would be legally open carrying still, correct?
    such a nice sig, in such a cheap holster.

if you are wearing sweat pants maybe look into a OWB paddle holster like a blackhawk serpa. im no small guy but i can pull off walking in a serpa with sweat pants. i wouldnt recommend carrying that way. easy to have someone come snatch it off your bag. then you are disarmed and defenseless..... dont do that to yourself

Looks like a good way to lose your holster and pistol and not know it.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Carry/wear it on the front of your chest and solve the problems

Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-04-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Grape I don't see where the holster is in that photo - are you posting pics of CC?

Or is it one of those new Woodbridge holsters - UDHs - under-the-diaper holster?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Woodbridge CT.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	11436  
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

It's legal.

But you should probably start wearing belts. If your safety is important enough to start carrying a gun, surely it's important enough to start wearing a belt.

Then you can join the rest of adulthood (who doesn't wear belts?)!
    Last edited by marshaul; 04-04-2014 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Grape I don't see where the holster is in that photo - are you posting pics of CC?

Or is it one of those new Woodbridge holsters - UDHs - under-the-diaper holster?
    Walk around to the other side.

You will note the carrier is forward on the right side - provides room for full size handgun.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    That would seem the more likely appropriate response.

But if you were serious, potcha, no, don't do that.
    yeah, new account, one post. very little chance this clown is serious.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Seriously?

seems legit to me

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Walk around to the other side.

You will note the carrier is forward on the right side - provides room for full size handgun.
    I think I see a 357 imprinting on his onezee (sp?).

He posted the exact same thing on MOC's forum....hmmmm....wonder if someone is reverting to their old ways.... ???

On the off chance this is legit...the only way I see to safely wear that rig would be with the pack at your front, thus making it a frontpack & not a backpack.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by SD40VE View Post
    such a nice sig, in such a cheap holster.

if you are wearing sweat pants maybe look into a OWB paddle holster like a blackhawk serpa. im no small guy but i can pull off walking in a serpa with sweat pants. i wouldnt recommend carrying that way. easy to have someone come snatch it off your bag. then you are disarmed and defenseless..... dont do that to yourself
    Dude, neither Serpas nor paddle holsters in general are very serious (some would argue Serpas are unreliable and dangerous at worst) and while they will generally work okay for most people in most cases, a serpa paddle holster hooked to sweat pants for OCing is kind of hitting the trifecta of not such a good idea for OCing in populated public areas. You can have a dedicated, adjustable gun belt that you can instantly buckle around your waist whether you're at a nudist colony or riding snowmobiles in the UP bundled up heavily. You can get fancier, but a 50 dollar Safailand and a 6 dollar tool belt and you are there. There is no reason not to do it right.
    Last edited by Michigander; 04-05-2014 at 12:29 AM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

I love how people who haven't used a Serpa always harp on them. Armchair QBs lol

Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    I love how people who haven't used a Serpa always harp on them. Armchair QBs lol
    I used a Serpa daily for nearly half a decade until it catastrophically failed by deconstructing off my belt. I sounded just like you once.

Have fun with that.
    Last edited by marshaul; 04-05-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    I used a Serpa daily for nearly half a decade until it catastrophically failed by deconstructing off my belt. I sounded just like you once.

Have fun with that.
    What failed on it was it the paddle that came off, did one of belt loops break, the screws come loose or did it crack and come apart.

Fairly simple design like any thing stuff happens I had nylon holster rip. I had leather holsters dry rot ,stitching tear and rivets pop and rip out, thumb snaps tear through get bent among many things nothing is perfect for sure.

After using holsters regularly for over 40 years I find the man made materials handier.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 04-05-2014 at 03:02 PM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Have fun with that.

I replace my holsters every 6-12 months. If course, I never spend more than $40...

Do you also not oil and clean your gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    What failed on it was it the paddle that came off, did one of belt loops break, the screws come loose or did it crack and come apart.

Fairly simple design like any thing stuff happens I had nylon holster rip. I had leather holsters dry rot ,stitching tear and rivets pop and rip out, thumb snaps tear through get bent among many things nothing is perfect for sure.

After using holsters regularly for over 40 years I find the man made materials handier.

Word.

Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    I replace my holsters every 6-12 months. If course, I never spend more than $40...

The problem I have with kydex paddle holsters is fatigue. Unlike leather, which ages well, plastic gives little indication of age until it fails, usually catastrophically.

The problem I have with the Serpa is that it's cheap and flimsy, so it's all the more likely to fatigue – compare it to basically any Safariland kydex holster.

Anything which has a lifetime of 6 months is a toy. A good margin to be working with is in years, not months.

Do you also replace your firearms every 6-12 months?
    Last edited by marshaul; 04-05-2014 at 04:47 PM.

As a public service, I will provide a good home to all Serpas and handguns having worn out their welcome - an adoptive parent can be loving too

The problem I have with kydex paddle holsters is fatigue. Unlike leather, which ages well, plastic gives little indication of age until it fails, usually catastrophically.

The problem I have with the Serpa is that it's cheap and flimsy, so it's all the more likely to fatigue – compare it to basically any Safariland kydex holster.

Anything which has a lifetime of 6 months is a toy. A good margin to be working with is in years, not months.

Do you also replace your firearms every 6-12 months?
    So what failed on yours that's a fairly simple question.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast