• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry question..

keith1993may

hello,
im new to this site and was wondering about this...
so im 20 years old and in NC you CAN purchase a pistol purchase permit at 18-20 but must buy a handgun privately...
i applied for my permit a few weeks ago and was denied because of a misdemeanor "assault on a govt offical".
yet I can buy from a ffl dealer long guns no problem with this on my record. ive actully bought 3 long guns through ffl background checks and was approved so im kinda confused as to why I would be denied for a permit.. also I was wondering that if it was legal to "carry a friends pistol "(OC) if written consent to "borrow" it and paper was notarized.
sorry if i sound stupid im kind of new to the pistol world..

keith1993may

i also turn 21 in 5 weeks.. if its legal to carry the handgun that i didnt buy i.e. borrow from a friend, would it be wiser just to wait until I turn 21 because most LEO dont know about being 18-20 and legal oc carry

dad2ze

hello,
im new to this site and was wwell askew you toondering about this...
so im 20 years old and in NC you CAN purchase a pistol purchase permit at 18-20 but must buy a handgun privately...
i applied for my permit a few weeks ago and was denied because of a misdemeanor "assault on a govt offical".
yet I can buy from a ffl dealer long guns no problem with this on my record. ive actully bought 3 long guns through ffl background checks and was approved so im kinda confused as to why I would be denied for a permit.. also I was wondering that if it was legal to "carry a friends pistol "(OC) if written consent to "borrow" it and paper was notarized.
sorry if i sound stupid im kind of new to the pistol world..

I am not sure that your misdemeanor especially being what it is will allow you to purchase. Buying long guns is different than a pistol. If i was your friend, I would not let you "borrow" my pistol no matter the documentation. The pistol you can conceal, it would be pretty hard for you to put a .308 down your pants and hide it.