Thread: Big Sandy Machinegun Shoot in Wikiup

Big Sandy Machinegun Shoot in Wikiup

Anyone know if there will be issues with open carry there? They have shooter tickets and spectator tickets, and we will have the latter.

Sometimes gun places can be the most unexpected anti-carry places, and I'd hate to conceal unless I have to.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Anyone know if there will be issues with open carry there? They have shooter tickets and spectator tickets, and we will have the latter. Sometimes gun places can be the most unexpected anti-carry places, and I'd hate to conceal unless I have to.
    From what I've heard from the volunteers working the AzCDL tables at Big Sandy, the folks running it don't want anyone behind the shooting lines carrying around loaded guns.

Fred

There were no signs, but open carriers were told to go handle their loaded firearms in the parking lot in order to leave them in their vehicle. Concealed carriers weren't told anything, of course.

It got chilly later, I eventually went back for my coat...

I'll be a registered shooter next time anyway...
    Last edited by MAC702; 04-06-2014 at 10:48 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

It's a real shame when supposed Freedom-loving individuals turn out to not be as Freedom-loving as they appear.

Maybe their stance will change with time and the event can be a true Freedom convocation.

So... any pics?

Add.
    I've been wanting to go since I saw this video a few years back:

If the guns by the 50 second mark hadn't already convinced me, the blonde girl at 1:25 sure would have. I'm not really into the body tattoo thing, but props on the dedication.
    I'm making time next year, even if I do have to skip class, I mean, skip because I am sick and don't want to spread germs. Yeah.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 04-07-2014 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Addendum
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    It's a real shame when supposed Freedom-loving individuals turn out to not be as Freedom-loving as they appear. Maybe their stance will change with time and the event can be a true Freedom convocation.
    I'll bet it has a lot more to do with liability issues along with ensuring a safe shooting environment for the participants.

I volunteer as a line safety officer at the local county shooting ranges. It's pretty damn scary sometimes.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    I'll bet it has a lot more to do with liability issues along with ensuring a safe shooting environment for the participants.

I volunteer as a line safety officer at the local county shooting ranges. It's pretty damn scary sometimes.

Fred
    I can imagine. I've had my OWN 1911's business end pointed at me when I stepped back from the new shooter for only a second... not making that mistake again, and I shouldn't have made it in the first place.

The thing that gets me is that only OC was singled out, as MAC702 points out that no signage existed for CC. A simple "keep all firearms holstered behind the firing line" or such would seem less... discriminatory?
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post

Fred
    How many damn scary times were caused by someone with a handgun in a holster?

I'm a range officer as well. I've had guns pointed at me. Not once was it a sidearm in a holster. I take that back. I once had a range officer pull out his handgun and sweep me with its muzzle and he pointed the laser at his own hand, all because he wanted to show it off when I told him I liked the grips. What a complete and utter moron. Did I mention he was the range officer? I suppose if he'd been concealing, I wouldn't have remarked about the grips and then not had it pointed at me...

But usually, concealers are more likely to be doing dumb things with their guns.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    SNIP...But usually, concealers are more likely to be doing dumb things with their guns.
    I've only heard of it, but it seems some of them are very fond of showing how good they are at concealing?
    Beats the purpose, if you ask me.

So, wouldn't a sign that said "Please keep all firearms holstered and pointed in a safe direction unless their use becomes necessary. In such case, judicious marksmanship is appreciated" address responsible handling and safety AND promote law-abiding carry?