• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Big Sandy Machinegun Shoot in Wikiup

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Anyone know if there will be issues with open carry there? They have shooter tickets and spectator tickets, and we will have the latter.

Sometimes gun places can be the most unexpected anti-carry places, and I'd hate to conceal unless I have to.

azcdlfred

Anyone know if there will be issues with open carry there? They have shooter tickets and spectator tickets, and we will have the latter. Sometimes gun places can be the most unexpected anti-carry places, and I'd hate to conceal unless I have to.
From what I've heard from the volunteers working the AzCDL tables at Big Sandy, the folks running it don't want anyone behind the shooting lines carrying around loaded guns.

Fred

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
There were no signs, but open carriers were told to go handle their loaded firearms in the parking lot in order to leave them in their vehicle. Concealed carriers weren't told anything, of course.

It got chilly later, I eventually went back for my coat...

I'll be a registered shooter next time anyway...

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

It's a real shame when supposed Freedom-loving individuals turn out to not be as Freedom-loving as they appear.:(

Maybe their stance will change with time and the event can be a true Freedom convocation.

So... any pics?:D

Add.
I've been wanting to go since I saw this video a few years back:
[video=youtube;_zHfKAV4WYU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zHfKAV4WYU[/video]
If the guns by the 50 second mark hadn't already convinced me, the blonde girl at 1:25 sure would have.:D I'm not really into the body tattoo thing, but props on the dedication.
I'm making time next year, even if I do have to skip class, I mean, skip because I am sick and don't want to spread germs. Yeah. :)

Last edited:

azcdlfred

It's a real shame when supposed Freedom-loving individuals turn out to not be as Freedom-loving as they appear. Maybe their stance will change with time and the event can be a true Freedom convocation.
I'll bet it has a lot more to do with liability issues along with ensuring a safe shooting environment for the participants.

I volunteer as a line safety officer at the local county shooting ranges. It's pretty damn scary sometimes.

Fred

Rusty Young Man

I'll bet it has a lot more to do with liability issues along with ensuring a safe shooting environment for the participants.

I volunteer as a line safety officer at the local county shooting ranges. It's pretty damn scary sometimes.

Fred

I can imagine. I've had my OWN 1911's business end pointed at me when I stepped back from the new shooter for only a second... not making that mistake again, and I shouldn't have made it in the first place.

The thing that gets me is that only OC was singled out, as MAC702 points out that no signage existed for CC. A simple "keep all firearms holstered behind the firing line" or such would seem less... discriminatory?:confused:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

Fred

How many damn scary times were caused by someone with a handgun in a holster?

I'm a range officer as well. I've had guns pointed at me. Not once was it a sidearm in a holster. I take that back. I once had a range officer pull out his handgun and sweep me with its muzzle and he pointed the laser at his own hand, all because he wanted to show it off when I told him I liked the grips. What a complete and utter moron. Did I mention he was the range officer? I suppose if he'd been concealing, I wouldn't have remarked about the grips and then not had it pointed at me...

But usually, concealers are more likely to be doing dumb things with their guns.

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...But usually, concealers are more likely to be doing dumb things with their guns.

I've only heard of it, but it seems some of them are very fond of showing how good they are at concealing?:confused:
Beats the purpose, if you ask me.

So, wouldn't a sign that said "Please keep all firearms holstered and pointed in a safe direction unless their use becomes necessary. In such case, judicious marksmanship is appreciated" address responsible handling and safety AND promote law-abiding carry?