• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A bill to allow silencers in Ohio...

willy1094

This may not really be carry related (geared toward hunters) but I thought it would be a good thing for OH residence to know about and possibly get behind.
http://gunssavelives.net/blog/gun-laws/ohio-suppressor-bill-passes-house-goes-to-senate/
Yesterday, the Ohio House of Representatives passed House Bill 234 by a 76 to 15 vote. HB 234 will now be sent to the state Senate where it awaits committee assignment and consideration. Please contact your state Senator in support of this pro-gun legislation.

HB 234, sponsored by state Representative Cheryl Grossman (R-23), would revise state law to allow a person to use a firearm sound suppressor while hunting in the Buckeye State.

Midwest

I posted this to The High Road forums. Also Louisiana is going through the same in trying to get it passed too in that state.

MyWifeSaidYes

The bill only allows suppressors for hunting. :cry: (I know, I know...baby steps.)

Otherwise, they are listed as "dangerous ordnance" in Ohio and require a license to own, in addition to the NFA paperwork required for purchase.

R.C. 2923.11 Weapons control definitions
R.C. 2923.17 Unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance
R.C. 2923.18 License or temporary permit to possess or use dangerous ordnance

That "license", by the way, is not a standardized form. Many counties and cities simply don't have such a license.

Werz

The bill only allows suppressors for hunting. :cry: (I know, I know...baby steps.)

Otherwise, they are listed as "dangerous ordnance" in Ohio and require a license to own, in addition to the NFA paperwork required for purchase.
I don't believe that is true.

R.C. 2923.17. (A) No person shall knowingly acquire, have, carry, or use any dangerous ordnance.
(C) Division (A) of this section does not apply to:
(5) Owners of dangerous ordnance registered in the national firearms registration and transfer record pursuant to the act of October 22, 1968, 82 Stat. 1229, 26 U.S.C. 5841, and any amendments or additions thereto or reenactments thereof, and regulations issued thereunder[.]

As long as the silencer is properly registered under the NFA, you can acquire, have, carry, or use it. Proposed R.C. 1533.04 simply allows it to be used specifically for hunting, but that provision requires NFA registration, anyway. Under current Ohio hunting regulations, "t shall be unlawful for any person to use a gun equipped with a silencer or muffler, or deadfall of any type to take or attempt to take a wild bird or wild quadruped." OAC 1501:31-15-02(D). HB 234 would change that.

Ohio dangerous ordnance licenses are fairly rare because they have very little use, aside from the application of industrial/agricultural explosives. The main reason for a gun owner to have one is for attachment and use of a magazine which contains more than 30 rounds; those are not classified as dangerous ordnance under the NFA, but they are under Ohio law, once they are attached to a firearm.

Werz

Likely preaching to the choir here, but we should call them suppressors not silencers. The latter is a news/entertainment media creation.

"The terms 'firearm silencer' and 'firearm muffler' mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication." 18 U.S.C. §921(a)(24).

"'Dangerous ordnance' means any *** firearm muffler or silencer[.]" R.C. 2923.11(K)(5).

When addressing legal issues, I use legal terms.

Hiram Percy Maxim patented his invention on March 30, 1909 as the Maxim Silencer™. The term suppressor came along later, as a more realistic interpretation of what the device could accomplish.

Just sayin' ...

Last edited: