Thread: Carrying a recorder

Carrying a recorder

I've seen many people advocate for carrying a voice recorder when out OCing. For those that do, where do you carry it to make sure it picks up everything? In a pocket? A pouch on your belt? Do you use a plug-in microphone?

Mine is usually in a horizontal knife pouch on my belt. It's nearly unnoticeable.

What someone really needs to come up with is a short sleeve shirt with a 'cigarette pack' pocket on it sized to take a common recorder. 5.11's are almost big enough if you remove the stitching between the pencil pockets.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 04-06-2014 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    What someone really needs to come up with is a short sleeve shirt with a 'cigarette pack' pocket on it sized to take a common recorder. 5.11's are almost big enough if you remove the stitching between the pencil pockets.
    You could run a mic to your chest area, or clip it near your throat? Just thinking out load, since I haven't tried it.
    I carry it in a horizontal pouch.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    I wonder if the price difference between video and audio recorders is small enough to make it worthwhile to skip an audio only recorder and get a video recorder?
    Advocate freedom please

Banned
    I just bring these guys ... hardly noticeable

http://www.genetixcom.com/images/sound.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    I wonder if the price difference between video and audio recorders is small enough to make it worthwhile to skip an audio only recorder and get a video recorder?
    Depends on what you buy, when you buy, and where you buy.

I carry one I bought on Amazon which cost $40. It now sells for $55. Seemed like a good price for what I got.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

OT: so for the video recorder, do you just turn it on when necessary? Or do you somehow attach it to yourself and leave it running? And if you only turn it on when something happens, you will likely miss the beginning of the event. Or worse, if the small camera is in your pocket when confronted by a cop, do you really want to be reaching in a pocket, knowing that they are likely responding to a MWAG call and are already on alert?

I leave it on since the moment I head out.

Do you hold it the whole time? Have it "mounted" somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT319 View Post
    Do you hold it the whole time? Have it "mounted" somewhere?
    I have it "mounted" so that it captures what's ahead of me.

I'll eventually try to get something in the form of sunglasses or the like so that the camera can see what I see, but that will have to wait until more money flows my way (hopefully within a month or two of graduation).

I guess I have like a GoPro in mind, but what camera do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT319 View Post
    I guess I have like a GoPro in mind, but what camera do you have?
    I can vouch for the VEHO Muvi Pro (now $55 on Amazon; I bought for ~$40 http://www.amazon.com/Veho-Muvi-Pro-...E91BWCP8BX3AJ0). It's the one I've carried for about eight full months now.

~1.5 hrs of battery life, time stamp, and can take an 8 Gb level 10 microSD card. More affordable than some of the ones I found with better mounting options, but it works for me.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 04-06-2014 at 10:46 PM.