• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying a recorder

DaveT319

I've seen many people advocate for carrying a voice recorder when out OCing. For those that do, where do you carry it to make sure it picks up everything? In a pocket? A pouch on your belt? Do you use a plug-in microphone?

Fallschirjmäger

Mine is usually in a horizontal knife pouch on my belt. It's nearly unnoticeable.

opplanet-desantis-nylon-single-magazine-pouch-horizontal-vertical-n23bjg4z4-dbbceb.jpg

What someone really needs to come up with is a short sleeve shirt with a 'cigarette pack' pocket on it sized to take a common recorder. 5.11's are almost big enough if you remove the stitching between the pencil pockets.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

What someone really needs to come up with is a short sleeve shirt with a 'cigarette pack' pocket on it sized to take a common recorder. 5.11's are almost big enough if you remove the stitching between the pencil pockets.

You could run a mic to your chest area, or clip it near your throat? Just thinking out load, since I haven't tried it.
I carry it in a horizontal pouch.

stealthyeliminator

I wonder if the price difference between video and audio recorders is small enough to make it worthwhile to skip an audio only recorder and get a video recorder?

Rusty Young Man

I wonder if the price difference between video and audio recorders is small enough to make it worthwhile to skip an audio only recorder and get a video recorder?

Depends on what you buy, when you buy, and where you buy.:)

I carry one I bought on Amazon which cost $40. It now sells for $55:confused:. Seemed like a good price for what I got.

DaveT319

OT: so for the video recorder, do you just turn it on when necessary? Or do you somehow attach it to yourself and leave it running? And if you only turn it on when something happens, you will likely miss the beginning of the event. Or worse, if the small camera is in your pocket when confronted by a cop, do you really want to be reaching in a pocket, knowing that they are likely responding to a MWAG call and are already on alert?

Rusty Young Man

Do you hold it the whole time? Have it "mounted" somewhere?

I have it "mounted" so that it captures what's ahead of me.

I'll eventually try to get something in the form of sunglasses or the like so that the camera can see what I see, but that will have to wait until more money flows my way (hopefully within a month or two of graduation).

Rusty Young Man

Last edited: