• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hmm maybe I was wrong.

SteveInCO

Nevermind. I found the answer finally with the right google fu--it appears to be OK.

I was under the impression that it was legal for me, as someone from outside of Illinois, to keep a firearm in my hotel room (as long as I am careful to transport it correctly). The other day I spoke to a Colorado lawyer and he seemed to think that no, I couldn't do it without a FOID.

So I figured this was worth checking on. He's not an Illinois lawyer, after all, perhaps he's just mistaken. I found this:

Can I keep a firearm in my hotel room when I
travel?

Yes, assuming no local ordinance applies. The
critical question is how the firearm was carried
into the room and transported in a vehicle. Those
actions must be done lawfully.

here: http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/transgun0-000.pdf

which looked like it confirmed I was right. But then I realized... it doesn't specify non-resident in many places, just some. The fact that this pamphlet *sometimes* says non-residents can do x, y, or z without running afoul of UUW and doesn't say non-residents can do keep a firearm in their hotel room, makes me wonder if maybe I assumed too much.

Any insights? Thanks.

Last edited:

SteveInCO

Oh, I know that. That's not quite the question I was originally asking

The question was, do I, as a non-resident, while staying in a hotel room in Illionois, need an FOID (which I can't get) to have a firearm with me in the hotel room. If the answer is yes--then it's clearly illegal for non-residents to have a firearm in their hotel room, because said card is unobtainable. If the answer is no, then yes I can have the gun with me (so long as I am careful about transporting the gun to and from the room).

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

In a Illinois supreme court ruling from several years ago basically stated that a nonresident permit was equal to an IL FOID card.

Even With HR218 creds I am still very careful in hard core anti gun areas.

One might win in court but the time and money could be very costly.