Thread: Cops: No charges for CC Permitee who fired AT armed males. Missed or warning shots?

Cops: No charges for CC Permitee who fired AT armed males. Missed or warning shots?

"12:29 p.m. CDT, April 5, 2014 A 53-year-old South Austin man with a valid concealed carry permit was able to shoot at two men who tried to accost him outside of his home early this morning. [ ... ] The males fled the area without being struck and the shooting did not result in any property damage, police said.

After the shooting, police responded and determined that the man was shooting in self-defense. The man had a valid firearm owner's identification card, a valid concealed carry permit and police were able to determine that he had completed a required concealed carry class and was properly trained, Sullivan said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2472485.story

No property damage from missed shots or property damage from warning air-shots not found?
    Last edited by Nightmare; 04-06-2014 at 08:51 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

To what end?
    I'm sure there's a chip in a brick wall somewhere, or a hole in a tree or a garbage can, but... what would be the purpose of expending limited police resources for finding something that's not immediately apparent by any damage it caused?

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    To what end?
    I'm sure there's a chip in a brick wall somewhere, or a hole in a tree or a garbage can, but... what would be the purpose of expending limited police resources for finding something that's not immediately apparent by any damage it caused?
    Virginia just passed, apparently, a bill prohibiting un-aimed gun shots as I recall its original wording.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ny-in-Virginia
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Virginia just passed, apparently, a bill prohibiting un-aimed gun shots as I recall its original wording.

You mean the threat titled "Reckless Gunfire Causing Injuries to be a Felony in Virginia?
    The thread about SB65 and HB810 which both require that someone suffer injury as a result?
    That thread?
    SB65, A1. Any person who handles any firearm in a manner so gross, wanton, and culpable as to show a reckless disregard for human life and causes the serious bodily injury of another person resulting in permanent and significant physical impairment is guilty of a Class 6 felony
    HB810, A1. Any person who handles any firearm in a manner so gross, wanton, and culpable as to show a reckless disregard for human life and causes the serious bodily injury of another person resulting in permanent and significant physical impairment is guilty of a Class 6 felony.
    I may have missed something, where does it say the shots were not aimed at his attacker or that the defender was utterly unconcerned about the consequences of his actions, or that an innocent was harmed?
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 04-06-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post

Sure did but this is Illinois ... south side of chicago.

The Chgo Trib is going to be spending a lot of ink if they are going to publish stories of self defense on the south and west sides of chgo. I hope they do ! There will be plenty of similar stories coming I'm sure.

If the story was run in the Suntimes the byline would read like.."crazy man shoots shots in a neighborhood full of children"
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 04-07-2014 at 04:10 AM.