• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in Foss lake state park?

callee11

Hello all new here and new to open carry, I have read the section about parks a couple times and still a lil sketchy on it, If I am reading it right I can carry in a state or city park as long as its not posted otherwise or in a building? correct or no? Im just wondering with summer time coming up we go to city parks frequently and are planning on a lot of fishing/camping trips at foss this summer just wondering if im gonna be able to carry at these places or if im going to have to make plans for other places. thanks in advance

hrdware

Hello all new here and new to open carry, I have read the section about parks a couple times and still a lil sketchy on it, If I am reading it right I can carry in a state or city park as long as its not posted otherwise or in a building? correct or no? Im just wondering with summer time coming up we go to city parks frequently and are planning on a lot of fishing/camping trips at foss this summer just wondering if im gonna be able to carry at these places or if im going to have to make plans for other places. thanks in advance

The big thing you have to worry about when going to Oklahoma Lakes is who maintains them. If it's the Army Corp of Engineers, then generally it is a no no as you can't carry on Corp of Engineer property. However it does not look like Foss is on or maintained by the Army Corp of Engineers. Carry there should be OK, but do your own research to make sure.

As far as other city and state parks go, you are mostly correct. You can carry at the park, just not into any of the buildings at the park, even if the park is posted, you can still carry there as long as you have your license. Lake Thunderbird for example has signs posted, but they want to make sure the drunk party people aren't packing. They know what the law says, but they don't want reckless people with firearms so they put up signs to scare the uneducated.

callee11

Ok awesome thanks for the info... I will most likely call in advance just to be sure

hrdware

It's my understanding that carrying on COE land was ok if the state was leasing the land for the state park.

I know it's OK to carry at Beavers Bend. I also know it is not OK at Lake Arcadia. Both are Corp lakes. One is state one is city so that may be the difference, but I don't know enough to say for certain.

Glock 1st fan

I know it's OK [SUB][/SUB]to carry at Beavers Bend. I also know it is not OK at Lake Arcadia. Both are Corp lakes. One is state one is city so that may be the difference, but I don't know enough to say for certain.

If its a city or state park you shouldn't have an issue. But where you have to be careful is land owned by the federal government such as army corp of engineers.

hrdware

If its a city or state park you shouldn't have an issue. But where you have to be careful is land owned by the federal government such as army corp of engineers.

Arcadia lake is a city park, but it is on COE land. I believe the difference is in one instance the state leases the land from the CoE, and in the other, the city just maintains the park but does not lease the land.

Jayne&Vera

And that's just to demonstrate how confusing federal lands are like, aren't we "allowed" to take into national parks?

hrdware

And that's just to demonstrate how confusing federal lands are like, aren't we "allowed" to take into national parks?

Yes, national parks fall under the National Parks Service guidelines, however if there happens to be Core of Engineer land in the national park, that part of the park would be off limits.

callee11

I still haven't had a chance to call and ask, but Ill post my findings when I do