• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing Noob (Mocksville, NC)

Bam-Bam1816

I'll consider myself a OC NOOB, however I used to OC years ago. I have recently become more active and interested in Pro-2A things with all the things happening in society these days. As a 911 dispatcher in a large city I know all to well the potential for things to go bad when you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. We all have an obligation and a responsibility to protect ourselves and our family. I'm glad I found this site. I am looking to get my CCW very soon, however I love the fact that NC is a very Pro-2A state when it comes to OC.

I look forward to maybe chatting with some of yall and educating myself more on OC.

Davie County is a pretty friendly place when it comes to firearms. So far, Walmart, Lowes, and Food Lion (all in Mocksville) have been "No OC Issue" places.

solus

welcome to the forum and back to OC'g life style...

might i ask a question regarding your perception from a dispatcher in tim-buck-2 city somewhere in the united states...

are you mandated to follow the 'scripts' provided or are you allow to say free wheel when you get a call about a well dressed gentleman OC'g in say Wally World or Lowes etc., and can you say: what is the well dressed gentleman doing? or similar type of questions, and then state: you know caller, i'll send an officer over but before i do, are you aware it is legal in whatever city in the united states you reside for citizens to OC. now do you still wish me to dispatch someone ? if so please remain in the area so the officer can get your details.

finally it is my understanding the dispatchers do not work for sheriff or police but rather the 'emergency management system' or similar type entity?

again welcome and thanks for tolerating my query...it is appreciated.

ipse

Rusty Young Man

Welcome to OCDO, congrats on returning to OC, and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona Bam-Bam1816!:)

Glad you've decided to be more active, and thanks for your work (I can't imagine how stressful it must be to hear those types of calls).

Bam-Bam1816

Discretion

welcome to the forum and back to OC'g life style...

might i ask a question regarding your perception from a dispatcher in tim-buck-2 city somewhere in the united states...

are you mandated to follow the 'scripts' provided or are you allow to say free wheel when you get a call about a well dressed gentleman OC'g in say Wally World or Lowes etc., and can you say: what is the well dressed gentleman doing? or similar type of questions, and then state: you know caller, i'll send an officer over but before i do, are you aware it is legal in whatever city in the united states you reside for citizens to OC. now do you still wish me to dispatch someone ? if so please remain in the area so the officer can get your details.

finally it is my understanding the dispatchers do not work for sheriff or police but rather the 'emergency management system' or similar type entity?

again welcome and thanks for tolerating my query...it is appreciated.

ipse

As far as taking this type of call, we would definately ask questions to get a "feel" for what the person is doing. I have taken several of these types of calls and I will inform the caller that it is legal to open carry in NC, however, we are still obligated to dispatch an officer(s) to make contact with the person or to observe the person and let that officer make that determination. Sitting in a dispatch room, it is impossible for me to know if that establishment is posted....and as Pro-2A as I am, I am not willing to risk my job by not putting a call in and something bad actually happens. On the flip side, callers very rarely want to wait to talk to the officers because they "don't want the person to know they've called." Which is fine.

As far as your second part, we are actually our own entity which works with the county and city departments. I don't work for the Sheriff's dept or the police dept.....I work for the communications center. We get funding from both the city and the county since we dispatch everyone, but we are our own entity.

Bam-Bam1816

Hey Rusty

Welcome to OCDO, congrats on returning to OC, and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona Bam-Bam1816!:)

Glad you've decided to be more active, and thanks for your work (I can't imagine how stressful it must be to hear those types of calls).

Yes it can be very stressful at times, but I honestly, for once in my life, can say I LOVE MY JOB! The average person has no idea what occurs inside a 911 center....and for that matter, I think I can safely say that most of our field units have no idea. We all have stressful jobs, and it takes a special type of person to last in this atmosphere, but it is very rewarding.

In addition, before I got into the Emergency Services area, I used to be a truck driver....Arizona is a BEAUTIFUL state. I have been looking for some excuse to get back out west and take my family with me so they can see.

Thanks for responding!

2AFriendly

As far as taking this type of call, we would definately ask questions to get a "feel" for what the person is doing. I have taken several of these types of calls and I will inform the caller that it is legal to open carry in NC, however, we are still obligated to dispatch an officer(s) to make contact with the person or to observe the person and let that officer make that determination. Sitting in a dispatch room, it is impossible for me to know if that establishment is posted....and as Pro-2A as I am, I am not willing to risk my job by not putting a call in and something bad actually happens. On the flip side, callers very rarely want to wait to talk to the officers because they "don't want the person to know they've called." Which is fine.

As far as your second part, we are actually our own entity which works with the county and city departments. I don't work for the Sheriff's dept or the police dept.....I work for the communications center. We get funding from both the city and the county since we dispatch everyone, but we are our own entity.

Thanks for that... I have always wondered. NC is a great OC state, many many people do it daily!

solus

you are most kind to indulge my query...and substantiates what i had 'unofficially' heard second hand from 'i have a friend who has a friend and this is what they say...' :banghead:

again welcome and keep us apprised on your OC adventures.

ipse

WalkingWolf

Unless things have changed Harnett county will not dispatch for MWAG, they will inform the caller it is legal. Just gotta ask, would you dispatch a officer for a man with a golf club? Both can be deadly or both can be legal. As far as knowing if the business is posted, that is up to the business to call, not a stranger in the business. Nothing wrong with informing the officer and letting him make his decision to respond, but I see no obligation, and the courts certainly do not see a obligation.

No offense I know you try to do your job, but this is what honest people find very annoying, it is a assumption of guilt for a legal act. Just like the door greeters at Wally World who virtually accuse paying customers of stealing by demanding to see receipts.

BTW Solus I finally got a call from Wally World with a apology, and was told it would never happen again. She said they will be investigating the LP rectal little man, he has been a problem in the past. And she confirmed or agreed with me that he has no right or privilege to detain anyone unless they commit a crime.

I used to get calls for high school teenagers smoking on the sidewalks. I refused to answer the calls, it led to a go around between the mayor and county commissioner. At the time it was legal for teenagers to smoke, they just could not buy tobacco products under the age of 18. After a talk with the sheriff, and long talk with the dispatcher the calls were never dispatched again. There is no need to waste tax payers money with calls of legal acts. This would be about the same as a person calling to report you to the IRS because you bought a new car. I would imagine you would very PO if the IRS showed up at your doorstep to search your house and records over a legal act.

Last edited:

dad2ze

I'll consider myself a OC NOOB, however I used to OC years ago. I have recently become more active and interested in Pro-2A things with all the things happening in society these days. As a 911 dispatcher in a large city I know all to well the potential for things to go bad when you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. We all have an obligation and a responsibility to protect ourselves and our family. I'm glad I found this site. I am looking to get my CCW very soon, however I love the fact that NC is a very Pro-2A state when it comes to OC.

I look forward to maybe chatting with some of yall and educating myself more on OC.

Davie County is a pretty friendly place when it comes to firearms. So far, Walmart, Lowes, and Food Lion (all in Mocksville) have been "No OC Issue" places.

What city do you dispatch for? I used to live in Statesville and my mom worked in Mocksville, so I know the area fairly well. There was an old man who used come into the Mocksville Wal-Mart and he OC two old Jesse James Revovlers (thats what I called them as a kid). He was pretty bad azz back in the day. No one ever said anything to him. The same way in Statesville. I think when you come from a town like Statesville or Mocksville it is not uncommon to see it. Thats why I love small town living.

papa bear

welcome to the forum BAMBAM. i consider Mocksville a neighbor city. i am in Surry county. i have had good encounters in Mocksville

hopefully we can see you at some of the meet and greets, we have in the area

check out GRNC also.

also welcome to you too DAD2ze.

Last edited:

dad2ze

Welcome to OCDO! Are you guys required to be EMD cert where you work?

Yes..the dispatchers in Raleigh are almost EMT-B. They are like most and have 1000s of ? they ask and can tell the general public what to do before we arrive. They even give instruction about the new CPR we are doing down here, which people don't understand but considering we have the highest save rate in the nation, we must be doing something right.

I love going to WalMart OC'ing. They don't blink an eye. It's going to TARGET that I get the looks.

HPmatt

That is because Target doesn't sell ammo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Boger11b

I'm from mocksville to