Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Open carry bill in Kansas possible nation wide model for open carry in all states?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    221

    Open carry bill in Kansas possible nation wide model for open carry in all states?

    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...tes-lawmakers/


    Kansas legislators gave final approval Saturday to a bill that would nullify city and county gun restrictions, ensuring that it’s legal across the state to openly carry firearms, the Associated Press reported.

    The measure — which the National Rifle Association sees as a nationwide model for stripping local officials of their gun-regulating power — was approved by the state House, 102-19, a day after the Senate passed it, 37-2.
    Republican Gov. Sam Brownback hasn’t said if he’ll sign it, but he’s a strong supporter of gun rights and has signed other measures backed by the NRA and the Kansas State Rifle Association.

    Kansas law doesn’t expressly forbid the open carrying of firearms, and the attorney general’s office has in the past told local officials that some restrictions are allowed. But the Unified Government of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kan., has prohibited the practice, and the bill would sweep any such ban away — except to allow cities and counties to prevent openly carried weapons inside public buildings.

    The measure also would prevent cities and counties from enacting restrictions on the sale of firearms and ammunition, or imposing rules on how guns must be stored and transported. Existing ordinances would be void, and local governments could not use tax dollars for gun buy-back programs.


    MORE at link above! or at link below.


    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...tes-lawmakers/

  2. #2
    Regular Member fjpro2a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    300

    Great start

    This is, obviously, a great start. It it spreads, it would really help those States that already have open carry, but not a State Wide preemption. States that come to mind are Missouri and Colorado, although I am sure there are a few others. As for my State (NJ,) hopeless. Woe is me!!!

  3. #3
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    Great news! Let's hope this does take root and spreads across the country.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,201
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Great news! Let's hope this does take root and spreads across the country.
    It has been spreading slowly both governor candidates for Texas said they well push for open carry if elected.

    But the dem o rat who has been a hard core anti I am sure is just paying lip service to try and fool some gun owners.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  5. #5
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    I hope it DOESN'T become a model for states that have total preemption...ie NO local regulation of firearm carrying. If Michigan allowed local units of government to restrict open carry in government buildings, it would be a step backwards for OC.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    My thoughts exactly. Even AZ has it where government buildings can prohibit firearms. Granted they are required to secure them for you which is kind of funny, but it's still a stupid problem which we don't have.

    Other than CPL's and registration, we have it better than the majority of the country for carrying, especially now that SBR's and SBS's have come along to fill the void left by MiDAP's. So I am definitely not envious of this model.
    Last edited by Michigander; 04-09-2014 at 01:11 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  7. #7
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Even AZ has it where government buildings can prohibit firearms. Granted they are required to secure them for you which is kind of funny, but it's still a stupid problem which we don't have.

    Other than CPL's and registration, we have it better than the majority of the country for carrying, especially now that SBR's and SBS's have come along to fill the void left by MiDAP's. So I am definitely not envious of this model.
    It's not just about MI, guys. As a whole, I think this type of bill would be a good thing for most of the nation. MI has some very good laws & some really stupid ones too. Just like any other state. Difference is it will take you 50+ years to get the stupid ones fixed with your useless legislators!

    Or put another way any law-abiding person can come to AZ and wear a pistol OC or CC for protection and be legal doing so! In MI (residents) must pay roughly $300 in training and permit fees and wait up to 90+ days to get said permit, simply to protect themselves without becoming a FELON AND REGISTER ALL PISTOLS! Non permit OC is MI is chocked full of legal hassles such as not being able to get into a car, or ride a bike, or enter a party store...without facing charges. Now look at it this way for a moment - since AZ has become a constitutional carry state, violent crimes have fallen 36.8% ... so this tells us red tape such as MI has leads to more violent crime, not less. MCL 123.1102 is fantastic! It too should be a model for preemption around the nation.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 04-09-2014 at 03:04 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  8. #8
    Regular Member OneForAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    It's not just about MI, guys. As a whole, I think this type of bill would be a good thing for most of the nation. MI has some very good laws & some really stupid ones too. Just like any other state. Difference is it will take you 50+ years to get the stupid ones fixed with your useless legislators!

    Or put another way any law-abiding person can come to AZ and wear a pistol OC or CC for protection and be legal doing so! In MI (residents) must pay roughly $300 in training and permit fees and wait up to 90+ days to get said permit, simply to protect themselves without becoming a FELON AND REGISTER ALL PISTOLS! Non permit OC is MI is chocked full of legal hassles such as not being able to get into a car, or ride a bike, or enter a party store...without facing charges. Now look at it this way for a moment - since AZ has become a constitutional carry state, violent crimes have fallen 36.8% ... so this tells us red tape such as MI has leads to more violent crime, not less. MCL 123.1102 is fantastic! It too should be a model for preemption around the nation.
    Well said...
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

    Some random person, "I will not give up safety because of a few misplaced concerns of the uneducated." end quote...

  9. #9
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    No doubt, the potency of 123.1102 does not change the fact that AZ and in fact many other states are infinitely more free with pistols, because let it be clear, there is zero freedom with cartridge fed handguns here, only privilege, and it has been and will continue to be a very difficult struggle to fix it, which is utterly unacceptable, and something that every one of us should be striving to change.

    There hasn't been a con carry rally in Lansing for 2 years. Maybe we should do another soon...
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  10. #10
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    My comments were directed only at the law in Kansas serving as a model for other states. There are aspects of other states' firearm law, besides Michigan, where preemption is much better than Kansas'. An example would be Florida. While having a very restricted "open carry", their preemption law is even better than Michigan's.

    No state is perfect; every state violates our right to carry a firearm in some way. Instead of looking at a "model" that contains limits, let's work to have across the board preemption, no registration, no government permission slip instead of touting a law that is so much less than it should be.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  11. #11
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    My comments were directed only at the law in Kansas serving as a model for other states. There are aspects of other states' firearm law, besides Michigan, where preemption is much better than Kansas'. An example would be Florida. While having a very restricted "open carry", their preemption law is even better than Michigan's.

    No state is perfect; every state violates our right to carry a firearm in some way. Instead of looking at a "model" that contains limits, let's work to have across the board preemption, no registration, no government permission slip instead of touting a law that is so much less than it should be.
    Absolutely! + to infinity. :thumbup:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •