• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry bill in Kansas possible nation wide model for open carry in all states?

alphamale

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...ationwide-model-approved-by-states-lawmakers/

Kansas legislators gave final approval Saturday to a bill that would nullify city and county gun restrictions, ensuring that it’s legal across the state to openly carry firearms, the Associated Press reported.

The measure — which the National Rifle Association sees as a nationwide model for stripping local officials of their gun-regulating power — was approved by the state House, 102-19, a day after the Senate passed it, 37-2.
Republican Gov. Sam Brownback hasn’t said if he’ll sign it, but he’s a strong supporter of gun rights and has signed other measures backed by the NRA and the Kansas State Rifle Association.

Kansas law doesn’t expressly forbid the open carrying of firearms, and the attorney general’s office has in the past told local officials that some restrictions are allowed. But the Unified Government of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kan., has prohibited the practice, and the bill would sweep any such ban away — except to allow cities and counties to prevent openly carried weapons inside public buildings.

The measure also would prevent cities and counties from enacting restrictions on the sale of firearms and ammunition, or imposing rules on how guns must be stored and transported. Existing ordinances would be void, and local governments could not use tax dollars for gun buy-back programs.

MORE at link above! or at link below.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...ationwide-model-approved-by-states-lawmakers/

fjpro2a

Great start

This is, obviously, a great start. It it spreads, it would really help those States that already have open carry, but not a State Wide preemption. States that come to mind are Missouri and Colorado, although I am sure there are a few others. As for my State (NJ,) hopeless. Woe is me!!!:)

Firearms Iinstuctor

Great news! Let's hope this does take root and spreads across the country. :cool:

It has been spreading slowly both governor candidates for Texas said they well push for open carry if elected.

But the dem o rat who has been a hard core anti I am sure is just paying lip service to try and fool some gun owners.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I hope it DOESN'T become a model for states that have total preemption...ie NO local regulation of firearm carrying. If Michigan allowed local units of government to restrict open carry in government buildings, it would be a step backwards for OC.

Michigander

My thoughts exactly. Even AZ has it where government buildings can prohibit firearms. Granted they are required to secure them for you which is kind of funny, but it's still a stupid problem which we don't have.

Other than CPL's and registration, we have it better than the majority of the country for carrying, especially now that SBR's and SBS's have come along to fill the void left by MiDAP's. So I am definitely not envious of this model.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

My thoughts exactly. Even AZ has it where government buildings can prohibit firearms. Granted they are required to secure them for you which is kind of funny, but it's still a stupid problem which we don't have.

Other than CPL's and registration, we have it better than the majority of the country for carrying, especially now that SBR's and SBS's have come along to fill the void left by MiDAP's. So I am definitely not envious of this model.

It's not just about MI, guys. As a whole, I think this type of bill would be a good thing for most of the nation. MI has some very good laws & some really stupid ones too. Just like any other state. Difference is it will take you 50+ years to get the stupid ones fixed with your useless legislators! :rolleyes:

Or put another way any law-abiding person can come to AZ and wear a pistol OC or CC for protection and be legal doing so! In MI (residents) must pay roughly $300 in training and permit fees and wait up to 90+ days to get said permit, simply to protect themselves without becoming a FELON AND REGISTER ALL PISTOLS! Non permit OC is MI is chocked full of legal hassles such as not being able to get into a car, or ride a bike, or enter a party store...without facing charges. Now look at it this way for a moment - since AZ has become a constitutional carry state, violent crimes have fallen 36.8% ... so this tells us red tape such as MI has leads to more violent crime, not less. MCL 123.1102 is fantastic! It too should be a model for preemption around the nation.

Last edited:

OneForAll

It's not just about MI, guys. As a whole, I think this type of bill would be a good thing for most of the nation. MI has some very good laws & some really stupid ones too. Just like any other state. Difference is it will take you 50+ years to get the stupid ones fixed with your useless legislators! :rolleyes:

Or put another way any law-abiding person can come to AZ and wear a pistol OC or CC for protection and be legal doing so! In MI (residents) must pay roughly $300 in training and permit fees and wait up to 90+ days to get said permit, simply to protect themselves without becoming a FELON AND REGISTER ALL PISTOLS! Non permit OC is MI is chocked full of legal hassles such as not being able to get into a car, or ride a bike, or enter a party store...without facing charges. Now look at it this way for a moment - since AZ has become a constitutional carry state, violent crimes have fallen 36.8% ... so this tells us red tape such as MI has leads to more violent crime, not less. MCL 123.1102 is fantastic! It too should be a model for preemption around the nation.

Well said...

Michigander

No doubt, the potency of 123.1102 does not change the fact that AZ and in fact many other states are infinitely more free with pistols, because let it be clear, there is zero freedom with cartridge fed handguns here, only privilege, and it has been and will continue to be a very difficult struggle to fix it, which is utterly unacceptable, and something that every one of us should be striving to change.

There hasn't been a con carry rally in Lansing for 2 years. Maybe we should do another soon...

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
My comments were directed only at the law in Kansas serving as a model for other states. There are aspects of other states' firearm law, besides Michigan, where preemption is much better than Kansas'. An example would be Florida. While having a very restricted "open carry", their preemption law is even better than Michigan's.

No state is perfect; every state violates our right to carry a firearm in some way. Instead of looking at a "model" that contains limits, let's work to have across the board preemption, no registration, no government permission slip instead of touting a law that is so much less than it should be.

FreeInAZ

My comments were directed only at the law in Kansas serving as a model for other states. There are aspects of other states' firearm law, besides Michigan, where preemption is much better than Kansas'. An example would be Florida. While having a very restricted "open carry", their preemption law is even better than Michigan's.

No state is perfect; every state violates our right to carry a firearm in some way. Instead of looking at a "model" that contains limits, let's work to have across the board preemption, no registration, no government permission slip instead of touting a law that is so much less than it should be.

Absolutely! + to infinity. :thumbup: