Thread: Open Carry in alcohol dispensing areas?

Open Carry in alcohol dispensing areas?

I know this is probably already in the forums, but I just could not find it. I open carry in the Akron/Wadsworth, Ohio area on a regular basis and i frequent many bars in the area. I was just wondering, with the new law that allows carry in areas that dispense or serve alcohol is open carry allowed or is it just concealed? I have heard conflicting information and i was just curious as to if anyone on here had any solid info.
    Last edited by nmiah1991; 04-07-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Forgot to add location

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Welcome to OCDO nmiah1991.

Can do.
    http://my.opencarry.org/?page_id=150

Someone local shoul be along shortly and give a more definitive answer.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

From ORC 2923.121:
    (A) No person shall possess a firearm in any room in which any person is consuming beer or intoxicating liquor in a premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code or in an open air arena for which a permit of that nature has been issued.
    (B)
    (1) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(e) Any person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license, as long as the person is not consuming beer or intoxicating liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse.
    So, it is generally illegal to carry in a class D establishment, but one of the exceptions is for concealed handgun license holders. Nothing I see specifically prohibits open carry, so if you have a CHL, and the establishment doesn't have a problem with open carry, you would be OK as I read it.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

You can open carry on D permit liquor premises under the following conditions:
    • If and only if you have a concealed handgun license;
    • If the premises are not posted with a sign prohibiting firearms*; and
    • If and when specifically asked to conceal the handgun or leave, you must make that choice.

*The standard Ohio Department of Liquor Control sign does not necessarily prohibit firearms if you have a concealed handgun license. If that is the only sign they have, they will need to specifically tell you that your gun is not welcome there.

Quote Originally Posted by Werz View Post
    You can open carry on D permit liquor premises under the following conditions:
    • If and only if you have a concealed handgun license;
    • If the premises are not posted with a sign prohibiting firearms*; and
    • If and when specifically asked to conceal the handgun or leave, you must make that choice.

*The standard Ohio Department of Liquor Control sign does not necessarily prohibit firearms if you have a concealed handgun license. If that is the only sign they have, they will need to specifically tell you that your gun is not welcome there.
    +1 to what Werz said, but the CHL requirement only applies to D permit premises where alcohol is being consumed. (R.C. 2923.121)

A restaurant in Troy, OH, that hosts open carry meet & greets, suspends alcohol service for us prior to and during those events. No CHL is required during these events.

A grocery store, like Kroger's, can have a D permit without allowing consumption of alcohol, thus allowing open carry without a CHL. HOWEVER, if that store hosted a wine tasting, you'd better have that CHL.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.