• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in alcohol dispensing areas?

nmiah1991

I know this is probably already in the forums, but I just could not find it. I open carry in the Akron/Wadsworth, Ohio area on a regular basis and i frequent many bars in the area. I was just wondering, with the new law that allows carry in areas that dispense or serve alcohol is open carry allowed or is it just concealed? I have heard conflicting information and i was just curious as to if anyone on here had any solid info.

Last edited:

JustaShooter

From ORC 2923.121:
(A) No person shall possess a firearm in any room in which any person is consuming beer or intoxicating liquor in a premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code or in an open air arena for which a permit of that nature has been issued.
(B)
(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(e) Any person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license, as long as the person is not consuming beer or intoxicating liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse.

So, it is generally illegal to carry in a class D establishment, but one of the exceptions is for concealed handgun license holders. Nothing I see specifically prohibits open carry, so if you have a CHL, and the establishment doesn't have a problem with open carry, you would be OK as I read it.

Werz

You can open carry on D permit liquor premises under the following conditions:
  • If and only if you have a concealed handgun license;
  • If the premises are not posted with a sign prohibiting firearms*; and
  • If and when specifically asked to conceal the handgun or leave, you must make that choice.

*The standard Ohio Department of Liquor Control sign does not necessarily prohibit firearms if you have a concealed handgun license. If that is the only sign they have, they will need to specifically tell you that your gun is not welcome there.

MyWifeSaidYes

You can open carry on D permit liquor premises under the following conditions:
  • If and only if you have a concealed handgun license;
  • If the premises are not posted with a sign prohibiting firearms*; and
  • If and when specifically asked to conceal the handgun or leave, you must make that choice.

*The standard Ohio Department of Liquor Control sign does not necessarily prohibit firearms if you have a concealed handgun license. If that is the only sign they have, they will need to specifically tell you that your gun is not welcome there.

+1 to what Werz said, but the CHL requirement only applies to D permit premises where alcohol is being consumed. (R.C. 2923.121)

A restaurant in Troy, OH, that hosts open carry meet & greets, suspends alcohol service for us prior to and during those events. No CHL is required during these events.

A grocery store, like Kroger's, can have a D permit without allowing consumption of alcohol, thus allowing open carry without a CHL. HOWEVER, if that store hosted a wine tasting, you'd better have that CHL.