• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shaking hands

stealthyeliminator

When you open carry do you purposefully avoid shaking hands with a stranger using your strong hand?

For instance, if you are right handed and carry on your right side, do you, potentially awkwardly, shake with your left hand?

WalkingWolf

As a general rule I do not shake hands with strangers. It is not healthy, and I don't mean because of a assault. Too many germs on the hands, and too many people who never wash their hands.

stealthyeliminator

I almost finished my post with the question "Or do people outside of Texas not shake hands?"

I guess that would have actually been an appropriate question to ask. lol.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I would think that it all would depend on the who, why and when.

If total Stranger just walk up to me on the street and want to shake my hand no thank you.

If some one didn't look right no thank you.

If I had a bad feeling no thank you.

If there is not a good reason to shake hands no thank you.

It would be a good way along with others to get up close and personal to instigate an attack.

But there are times and places I would gladly shake a friendly hand.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What's the problem - excepting germs?

Doesn't everybody carry a BUG in their non-dominate front pocket? :)

SpringerXDacp

I don't worry about it. In all likelihood, the person I'm shaking hands with is most likely right-handed as well placing him in an equal disadvantage. Regardless, it seems these days more folks are doing that Bro-type handshake thing anyways. i.e. Bumping knuckles and fingers with a closed fist. "Bro..."

Rusty Young Man

When you open carry do you purposefully avoid shaking hands with a stranger using your strong hand?

For instance, if you are right handed and carry on your right side, do you, potentially awkwardly, shake with your left hand?

Not really. Either I extend mine hand going forward, or go forward without extending mine hand.:D
I've also been known to say "perhaps some other time, with sincerity" to those that give the limp-fish handshakes of insincerity.

Hmm, I wonder what is the purpose of shaking hands with a person untrusted?

Some think that the traditional purpose of shaking hands was to demonstrate that ones hand is empty of a weapon.

That particular handshake was palm on the forearm, not only to check for a hidden dagger, but to avoid touching the hands of someone who may have recently used the privy.:lol: Makes me wonder when that handshake went out of fashion, seeing as it may be more sanitary and what not.

As a general rule I do not shake hands with strangers. It is not healthy, and I don't mean because of a assault. Too many germs on the hands, and too many people who never wash their hands.

I try to carry either isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) or that sanitizer gel; sometimes washing one's hands is not an option, and these things will do in a pinch.

Rusty Young Man

What's the problem - excepting germs?

Doesn't everybody carry a BUG in their non-dominate front pocket? :)

I wish. I'll wait until I scrounge enough or win the lottery for that.:p
I do keep at least a pen in the weak-hand pocket, and I've practiced "dissuading" an errant hand placed on my gun.

I don't worry about it. In all likelihood, the person I'm shaking hands with is most likely right-handed as well placing him in an equal disadvantage. Regardless, it seems these days more folks are doing that Bro-type handshake thing anyways. i.e. Bumping knuckles and fingers with a closed fist. "Bro..."

:facepalm: Besides the over-use of the word "literally", that term may be my single greatest pet peeve; well, maybe behind "YOLO" (You Only Live Once, modern dumbed-down version of Carpe Diem).

Other than that, something sharp or pointy (knife or pen) is always at my weak side. In the future, I may add some kind of centerline carried...object.:D

solus

within a split second...

by the time a 'stranger' gets close enough, say within 10-15 feet of my comfort zone sphere, i have made a conscious decision to accept them in or posture so they know they are not welcome. there have been some who are startled when they see my hand immediately grab the grip of my pistol as they approach unexpected and have caught me unawares.

understand, even when someone is allowed close enough for them to begin to converse, i will not shake hands or have any direct contact with them or any articles they have handled and want me to fondle. i do not know where those hands or objects have been or in contact with and while not germ a phobic, there is no reason for me to be concerned if the person used their right hand instead of their left in lieu of toilet paper ten minutes earlier.

in fact, even those who say hello will sometimes be ignored as there is nothing in my make up which states i must be friendly or suffer a fool who just wishes to chat with the gentleman carrying a firearm.

when i step up to converse with a stranger, i respectfully wait at least 10 feet away to be recognized before approaching closer.

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I wish. I'll wait until I scrounge enough or win the lottery for that.:p
I do keep at least a pen in the weak-hand pocket, and I've practiced "dissuading" an errant hand placed on my gun.

:facepalm: Besides the over-use of the word "literally", that term may be my single greatest pet peeve; well, maybe behind "YOLO" (You Only Live Once, modern dumbed-down version of Carpe Diem).

Other than that, something sharp or pointy (knife or pen) is always at my weak side. In the future, I may add some kind of centerline carried...object.:D
When I was a kid, grandma and her lady friends all carried hat pins - great diswader.

Gives me an idea I'm going to have to work on.

MamaLiberty

I'm an old fashioned lady, even though I carry a gun. :) A gentleman should NEVER extend his hand to a lady without invitation. If a lady offers her hand to a gentleman, he may then take hold gently - but it is poor form to actually "shake." Kissing the hand is no longer encouraged much, but it is a sure way to charm an old lady most of the time. Just don't initiate it. You gentlemen have to figure out your own criteria, but handshakes with strangers for no real reason strikes me as strange.

It is important, I think, to reserve "handshakes" or other such intimate behaviors for serious purposes, not something without real meaning or consequence.

This germ thing has gone far beyond silly. You live in a world awash with germs of all kinds, on absolutely every surface not found in a surgical suite... and all too often even there. You only need to remember to keep your fingers out of your mouth unless you've just washed YOUR hands. Unless you wear surgical gloves, your hands are contaminated by... and contribute to the contamination, of everything you touch. Washing your hands after known contamination is important, but it only cuts down on KNOWN contamination and doesn't last very long.

The alcohol and "gels" do not actually kill bacteria and wouldn't even make most viruses sick. :) If you use the alcohol and gels much, you are breaking down the natural skin oils and friendly bacteria which allows pathogenic bacteria and viruses an open door to contaminate a deeper layer of tissue. You can't wash that off without a great deal of effort and time.

I spent part of my nursing career in infection control, and you don't even want to think about how many "germs" wash in, over, under and around your body everywhere, all the time. Learn how to maintain a solid, healthy immune system. Then very few of the "germs" can bother you, no matter how you come in contact with them.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Hmm, I wonder what is the purpose of shaking hands with a person untrusted?

Some think that the traditional purpose of shaking hands was to demonstrate that ones hand is empty of a weapon.

There's something to this post.

Beyond some point, interactions with others necessarily entail some degree of trust and risk. (If nothing else, physical proximity can be – potentially – dangerous.) Hand shaking could be viewed as a sort of reification of this reality.

This doesn't change much with the presence of a firearm. If someone wanted to take advantage of a hand shake to take control of your strong hand, they could just pull you in and stab in in the throat with a blade held in their off hand, obviating the presence of a firearm in the first place.

Shaking hands with someone means making it easier for that person to kill you, regardless of what weapons you may have. If you have any reason to suspect that a person intends to kill you, do not shake their hand.

Seems simple enough.

Last edited:

Super6O

Depends on the surroundings for me. I had a CC'er approach me and ask to shake my hand for exercising my rights.

This happened in the middle of the shopping aisle at my local Lowes home improvement.

I shook the mans hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stealthyeliminator

Depends on the surroundings for me. I had a CC'er approach me and ask to shake my hand for exercising my rights.

This happened in the middle of the shopping aisle at my local Lowes home improvement.

I shook the mans hand.

This is the sort of encounter I had in mind in the OP. Stranger as in, someone you have simply not met before. I don't mean that you're walking to your car, alone and at night, and from the shadows comes a twitchy, poorly dressed man who extends his hand and loudly whispers, "hey, can I ask you something?"

But on that note, I guess everyone has a "line" drawn somewhere, so I guess it might be interesting to see where who's(??) lines are drawn on who they shake hands with. I think we've already gotten that answer for several people here :D

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I shook the mans hand.

I've had the same thing, even two off duty LEO's came up and shook my hand. It's awesome when others recognize a right and appreciate someone exercising it.

Augustin

From a self-defense perspective, it is best, if you are right handed, to shake hands as is customarily done, and to wear the pistol on the right side, also most typical with right-handers.

My reasoning is because if you are holding another person's right - their dominant - hand, you have some measure of control over their hand and body. They would have to use their left hand to try to disarm you. In martial arts if somebody grabs you, say by the wrist, they have committed a portion of their body which you can take advantage of. If you are holding another's hand (or they are holding your wrist) you could put the person in a karate wrist lock (and possibly a take down) such as koto gaishe. You can see wrist locks being performed by the police on many episodes of "Cops." The leverage you can get when using a wrist lock can enable you to have great control over the subject, and possibly even break the wrist, thus seriously disabling him/her. There are numerous different types of wrist locks, and they vary greatly depending on position, situation, direction of pressure, the body part which applies the pressure, etc. Wrist locks are an especially good technique when there is a disparity of force such as a man vs. a woman.

Primus

I've had the same thing, even two off duty LEO's came up and shook my hand. It's awesome when others recognize a right and appreciate someone exercising it.

Did you wash your hands afterwards? Did you feel coerced or threat of violence and thats why you shook their hands? :)

Above is a full joke. Not a half semi-joke trap....

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

sudden valley gunner

Did you wash your hands afterwards? Did you feel coerced or threat of violence and thats why you shook their hands? :)

Above is a full joke. Not a half semi-joke trap....

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Hehe I knew that would get your attention.

As I made perfectly clear in the past I have no problems with individuals who may be cops. I also have no problem with a casual encounter. I think we need to separate that from "consensual encounters" which are basically state sanctioned fishing expeditions.